xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Time Converting UTC into AM PM

Today I was reading in the shoutouts of some people talking what what the time was. some said it was 22:00 and some used the AM PM.
Then some was trying to figure out the differnces. This made me do a google search.

converting time

This will also help with what we have here in the USA Daylight Savings Time

o.O I'm confused. Some people use the 24 hour system as in instead of 1:00 pm its just 13:00 so there is no AM or PM. Some of the European or Asian countries do that, I believe Aussie also but I'm not sure. The US used GMT -5 and we have daylight savings, all countries use it but, not always officially recognized though, since they often don't turn to a clock as often as us. AM and PM help to keep time more organized, but it is now rather annoying because its always hard to tell on the web whether its in the morning or the afternoon.

Here we use either the 24hs or the AM/PM system. They're pretty much as easy to use. Once you get to know which are the difference between both they're practically the same.@Xalor: here we use them as well. Why do you say it's always hard to tell if it's morning or afternoon?13:00 is the same than 1PM; 22:00 is the same than 10PM; 01:00 is 1AM. It isn't hard at all.

Edited by Pankyy (see edit history)

Here we use either the 24hs or the AM/PM system. They're pretty much as easy to use. Once you get to know which are the difference between both they're practically the same.
@Xalor: here we use them as well. Why do you say it's always hard to tell if it's morning or afternoon?

13:00 is the same than 1PM; 22:00 is the same than 10PM; 01:00 is 1AM. It isn't hard at all.

Yea I agree... I don't think that format is used in europe, but we still say "it's three-o'clock" even tho it is "fifteen" but I think anyone will undrestand if you just say it's five in the afternoon.

But when you start talking in global sence of course am and pm make it easier to undrestand but you can also just say 12.30. I think it's much more clear and you don't have to pay attention to am and pm...

I was always told as a kid - is if it is more than 12 hours, then just take away 12 hours to get the 12 hour clock.May be a bit confusing but:Say it was 13:00 - then take away 12 hours to get to 1:00 - get it?

In my country everyone is using the 24 hours system, which is quite easy to understand, as AM and PM is more like an English thing, it stands for Ante Meridian and Post Meridian or "before the meridian" and "after the meridian", the Meridian being the Greenwich Prime Meridian. Until America instituted time zones.So in a different language you would have different letters which would be quite strange, using the 24 hours system is like a suitable for most of the countries as everyone can understand it, even though the clocks show and we write 5 PM as 17:00 we usually say: "it's 5 evening" even though in my language it sounds quite clearer, I mean the word evening.. or lets say 7 AM will be 7:00 but we say: "it's 7 in the morning" something like that, or usually we just say 5 o'clock and if you know that it's day/evening, then you know that it's PM and can't be so early in the morning.. I find 24 hour system more suitable, but for example it's quite easy to spell if you're speaking English and just say 5 PM, 7 AM, as you don't need lots of words to make people understand what's the time.Also I know some people say 600 (six hundred) and it refers to 0600 to 6 AM to 18:00 o'clock I guess ;]

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

And then there is ARMY time...

Oh-Six_Hundred hours is 06:00, 6 AM, or just plain early in the morning.

Until America instituted time zones.

Actually, the Time Zone system we use was instituted by a Canadian to co-ordinate Train travel.http://www.enchantedlearning.com/nosuchfile.html

Slightly offtopic here - but im interested...I went to america about a year ago and a guy asked me what the time was - and i replied back to him and said "Yeah its five past three"And he didn't have a clue what i was on about!Eventually i just had to say "It is 15:20".---For anybody who comes from america, is that common that they don't know how to say the time other than one specific way? Cause in England we have loads of different ways of saying it.

I don't know about USA, but in my country we also express time like "it's five past three" and etc. were are different ways of telling 14:30, 14:45, 14:55, 15:10 and etc. I guess it's depends on how you used to get it, sometimes I myself don't get it, if someone says me what is the time, very fast. :DHow can in USA you say 3:24 PM ? or etc.