xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Learned On Their Own Who here is self tought?

Learned programming on my own, also learning Japanese on my own currently. I consider learning myself much easier then school. Even if you have a question, pretty much any question is already answered on the internet so I think it's much easier, faster and less expensive.

I learned to pretty much how to set up scripts and learned HTML on my own. It came from w3schools and studying source code. The other bits and pieces I learned from IP Protocol and setting up secure networks. I don't know too much indepth, since I usually go from sections to sections of the computer. I started with games, then to programming simple scripts and mods in private servers, then to the Web and then to Graphics and then again to programming on the Web which I hope to learn more. I haven't truly learned much on my own, other than the famous programs, like Word, Excel, and Access, oh and Photoshop. I have taught myself all I know about US Policies and Political Problems.

I learned computer repair and technical stuff about computers on my own, other than that Google is the main place its like my library of ultimate knowledge, this website i think everything is possible, its the best, it even shows me thing i didn't even know that where capable on a computer.

Google is man's new best friend, finally replacing the dog, just like you said Vera. You can find almost anything on Google, such as how to set up a static IP, how to Google in Google. There is so much that you can find through this powerful search engine. There are have been few searches that turn up few sites. I have found that more archiac terms are found in forums instead of sites. I believe that you can learn all you can learn from Forums and searching in Google. Has anyone else found information in Forums? I learned a lot of new news here in Xisto, more about GFX, and much more about computers. I am starting to understand PHP, and begin to read it, but its a lot more confused than regular coding, since it uses the syntax of ? marks and >< marks, and all those usually unused parts.

I learned almost everything I know about computers (except for Java and Visual Basic) from being self-taught.Using Linux, I got from trying out Ubuntu a little while back, enjoying it, and switching to Arch. Linux is basically all about being self-taught.HTML learning started from Neopets (no joke), their little guide to HTML for Guild creators.CSS was from making skins on InvisionFree message boards.Photoshop went along with making the skins.In terms of hardware, I haven't done much, but I have often looked up information on hardware in attempt to give myself knowledge in case I ever get to build my own computer (or simply have the money to do so).I will admit, I did actually learn how to type correctly in an intro to word processing class. Previously I had used the two index fingers method.It's so hard not to be self-taught with computers. I don't know anyone who didn't know how to use Word or Excel before taking a class on it. Even a friend of mine who rarely gets to go on the computer because of his parents knows enough about them to get by fairly well. He has jailbroken his ipod touch and uses it for all of his internet needs.

Well, I learnt how to use computers by my self, with no classes or etc. I just tried that and that and it seems to do that and that, with time I learnt quite a lot, a good source for everything I learnt to use is Internet, different tutorials and etc. I learnt HTML also by viewing source, by reading and trying to do something, same with all languages..Of course, when I got into university, things like C, C++ was taught to me, but I also used the Internet to make my knowledge a bit advanced, even though those lectures helped me to understand some things.. On computer, I think I can learn almost anything, just it needs time, I couldn't learn another lets say foreign language by myself, due to maybe I don't need it, but if I would go to Germany, I would learn the basics of German language and not like in school, that I learnt it for 6 years and don't know anything :D Even though I already know how to speak 3 languages.. it's really enough for me..I also could learn lets say for driving exam by myself, but stuff like maths is better to be taught by somebody at lectures or some class.

Well, I learnt how to use computers by my self, with no classes or etc. I just tried that and that and it seems to do that and that, with time I learnt quite a lot, a good source for everything I learnt to use is Internet, different tutorials and etc. I learnt HTML also by viewing source, by reading and trying to do something, same with all languages..
Of course, when I got into university, things like C, C++ was taught to me, but I also used the Internet to make my knowledge a bit advanced, even though those lectures helped me to understand some things.. On computer, I think I can learn almost anything, just it needs time, I couldn't learn another lets say foreign language by myself, due to maybe I don't need it, but if I would go to Germany, I would learn the basics of German language and not like in school, that I learnt it for 6 years and don't know anything :) Even though I already know how to speak 3 languages.. it's really enough for me..

I also could learn lets say for driving exam by myself, but stuff like maths is better to be taught by somebody at lectures or some class.

I agree with this.

Alot of the things nowadays you can learn off of the internet. Even for free.
Tutorials sites are helpful for this.

I learnt everything I know about Photoshop and Level Mapping for source all off the internet. Especially the mapping, I know how to do everything with Hammer 4 and VTFEdit over a period of about 4 months, and this was after school times.

But It seems the way i'm positioned in society today means that school is not optional for me.... :D (yay for education..... not :P)

School is crap. I spent 8 years in school, hardly learnt a thing that I couldn't have just learnt in a month at home. Not to mention, I skipped half of year 1 to be in year 2 because year 1 was full, so I was ahead of alot of the class :XD: But still, didn't learn anything useful. What? I can now write my name, spell, read, do some maths and I know that woodlouse like cool, damp conditions :)I left school at about year 5-6 or something... Then I went back for Secondry. I leave school for the second time at the end of year 7 after finding out it's just as stupid as primary and then I learn HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, C++, Basic and a load more things in 2 years. And the first year was just spent doing mostly DJ-ing... Which I also learnt after I left. I may not be an expert at these yet but I can even take computers to bits and know where to put them back xD I didn't even ever learn that in school. The best thing they tried to teach me at IT in school is what a database is and in the modern world, any 13 year old lucky enough to live in a house knows this stuff already. Whether it's an online database or the yellow pages!So school has had barely any effect on my life whatsoever except for regret. I do admit, though that it does build character alot better than being at home 24-7 but there's always clubs and stuff to go to if you wanna socialize. I barely ever did homework because I didn't like idea that because they can't teach properly, I have to do stuff at home in the few hours that I got to spend away from school and cherish the time with my annoying family... I also never took SAT's seriously. They are just stuff that the schools can show off to other people and say "Look at our teaching skills, pay us more Taxes!!!". Which is another thing I hate, why do people pay taxes for a voluntery prison? I wouldn't mind if they actually did something in school. School is a service, why are they so restricting and bossy there? It's like you just go to get bullied. Not by the other kids, but by the teachers... There was only a few good teachers at my school and I'm sure the rest hated me as much as I hated them... I had a special hate relationship with them that hardly any other kids shared :lol: Maybe to do with my outlook on the way they treated us and my undenyable logic :PAnyway, learning at home will always win. And it's even been said that most of the learning anyone does happens outside of school. At school, they never even taught me how to pay bills. I actually only just found out now. I'm 14 and finally found out that the Job Center is for more than just getting a job!! And that's through simply being with my mum when she went to pay them.... During school time. Hey, a simple example of something I wouldn't have learnt, had I been in school.I learn more in 1 hour than the 6 hours I spent at school everyday. If I could have all of that time back, I'd be travelling the world as a millionaire!!!

I did a whole 12 years of school. They taught me how to read and write, and to do some math. (however the math part is still a bit dubious when you consider the difficulties I still have balancing my checkbook.) Like most of the things they teach you in public schools, a great majority of it is a basic waste of time. Some classes that would have been of great benefit to me in high school I was not allowed to take. I truly wanted to take auto mechanics, but they wouldn?t let me. This of course was back in the days when sex discrimination was still the way of the world. Knowing how to fix my own car would have been a great advantage I could of used for the rest of my life, unlike the facts pertaining to the war of 1812 which has never presented itself as something I needed to know that would make my life easier, or get me out of some sort of dilemma.. Aside from that, I have had to learn everything I know by myself. And unfortunately, it seems like most of what I did learn I had to learn the hard way. They say experience is the best teacher, and I can attest to the value of learning by doing. I think the computer is the hardest thing to learn without anyone to tell you to go here, click this, etc etc. I discovered that often when trying to accomplish some task on the computer, I would try so many different things, by the time I picked the right one I forgot what I did to make it work. It was extremely frustrating, and I said many cuss words in the learning process, but eventually you figure things out. It does give you a pretty good and satisfying feeling when you finally get it right.