xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
princeofvegas

Obama To Deploy More Troops?

WASHINGTON President Obama is facing a choice on whether to grant commanders requests for additional troops in Afghanistan before he has decided on his new strategy there.

https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login?URI=www-nc.nytimes.com/2009/02/12/world/as.html&REFUSE_COOKIE_ERROR=SHOW_ERROR

Is it just me or is this the same man who had said during his campaign that he would begin a pullout of our troops, not start adding more to the mixture?

I personally have served in both Afghanistan and Iraq and I do not see why wee are even fighting over there anymore. It has become more of a mute point. On the Afghan front, we accomplished our mission, we dethroned the Taliban and started the steps to instate a democracy in the country. In Iraq, wasn's it "Mission Accomplished" years ago. I think that this is just a way for the military commanders of our country to test Obamas stance on his military policies. I hope that he will honor his word and not deploy more troops. We need a president who will start to worry about the problems on the homefront and stop policing the entire world.

What the? I thought we just elected a new prez with funny ears. Now we are getting the same old BS? gimmy a break Oh well Didnt vote for him anyways and now I am very happy I didnt.

This is the next big blow on foreign troop policy that Obama might not have dreamt.During the campaign he promised to pull out the troops from Iraq and Afghanistan in a span of one and half years and now he faces the crisis situation of feeding more troops there. The latest attach in the Afgan territory shows that a planned action is taken up by the neighboring country to topple the US supremacy. The same repeated story that happened in mumbai india on the 26/11 is repeated in Kabul and all that is common between the two cases is the originating terrorist country.US is now strictly monitoring the situation and even go ahead with military action against the culprit country. This is not once but on numerous situation proved to the worlds at large that the country which is both neighbor to India and Afghanistan is the mastermind in the world terrorist activities and a breeding ground of evil people.In the name of religion these people are performing massacre and eviction and letting the society ruin.The commonness in the recent attack in Afghanistan to that of the Mumbai indecent and the link to the neighboring country now looks forward for strong reaction from the world community and to boycott everything that this terrorist nation has to offer and do. Let these evils perish in their doomed land.All the world people must not travel to this nation and not allow these evil people in their land as well - they must be immediately expelled. I strongly feel these people must be brought to justice by severe capital punishment.Coming to the point of adding more troops in Afghanistan the choice is limited. You need to save your men and to have a few people is suicide as they may be in great danger at all times. The militants are too many even if the US troops are fully equipped.To add to the problem the latest news that the US army is not able to keep trace of all the weapons that it provided to the Afghan solders shows that there has been enough corruption in the distribution of the weapons and now the US own people will have to suffer casualty and injuries from their own weapons which were meant to protect them.Obama now has very little choice left but to send fresh troops in to Afghan territory. Even though elections in Afghanistan and Iraq are over, the new government needs protection from civil and external terrorists. We must come in unison and post our views on this grave matter where our near and dear ones and our distant relatives all live a life in fear.

MORE :D! There is already loads out there, But I am sure he will once even more die! this is stupid its not our problem to keep other countries secure we should only help main countries out to fight wars, Like UK, USA, Russia, France, Canada, Australia and other countries in Europe.I don't see any reason why we should help them....

If anyone looked he said he would pull troops out of Iraq didn't mention Afganistan because of contiued resistance of the Taliban. Iraq is ready to live on its own as their soldiers are ready. The Taliban on the other hand are more of a threat. They have been able to secure weapons, and take over Pakistan and other Islamic Nations of Middle East. I would be opposed to him taking it out even though I am a liberal by nature. I believe that reducing the troops dramatically at this key point would be a collassal dissapointment. With the rise of the enemies and terrorists not only here but across the world, such as Africa, and India it must be time now, to take the final steps to crush them now, before they rise up. Its beginning to become like before WW2, as imperialism ended, as we are now, and then Hitler rose. We need to stop anyone from rising with his ability and to prevent what had been the Depression that seems to be repeating itself. If they do deploy troops, do not say that I have not said a WW3 would not have come. This time it will shift, from the West to the East. The places where it was little, it shall shift to Asia and America.

I'm no political expert but Iraq was and is somethingwe never should have bothered with. Afghanistan is a different story though.I still think a military presence is important there. I think the Taliban is too much of a grass roots terrorist organizationto think they can be completely snuffed out like that.As far as Obama is concerned, time will only tell how strong of a leader he is.

My problem with this is that Afghanistan is of no strategic importance to the United States anymore. The taliban have fled to the mountains of pakistan and they are not really any match for the afghani army anymore. We really have no business being there in the first place and now we are going to send more troops. It is only a matter of time before there is another excuse to add more troops to iraq too. We will just wait and see what happens.

Understand this, that things always get worse before they get better. He needs to flush in as many troops as he can without picking up too much bad clout. He needs to finish a war, that his predecessor left him, these problems must be solved. If he is to deploy more troops then be it, they are of more use there then here, on home ground doing nothing whatsover, other than guarding the border, from poor people, who just need jobs. I would like to say that Afganistan is also one of the holding points of Al Queda, as some of you know, the 9/11 attacks, surfaced from the op in Al Queda in Afganistan. The other thing is that Afganistan is also the prime location where Bin Laden is supposedly living. We need to secure the Middle East, and its not a war on religion, we are attacking terrorists that not only attack other countries but their own people, with their supposed Jihad. This is the Crusades once again, but this time, the Western Powers have moved to the Americas. This time though its not a war on religious man vs. religious man its Religious Terrorist vs. Innocent People.

https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login?URI=www-nc.nytimes.com/2009/02/12/world/as.html&REFUSE_COOKIE_ERROR=SHOW_ERROR

Is it just me or is this the same man who had said during his campaign that he would begin a pullout of our troops, not start adding more to the mixture?

I personally have served in both Afghanistan and Iraq and I do not see why wee are even fighting over there anymore. It has become more of a mute point. On the Afghan front, we accomplished our mission, we dethroned the Taliban and started the steps to instate a democracy in the country. In Iraq, wasn's it "Mission Accomplished" years ago. I think that this is just a way for the military commanders of our country to test Obamas stance on his military policies. I hope that he will honor his word and not deploy more troops. We need a president who will start to worry about the problems on the homefront and stop policing the entire world.

I had the same understanding that you did in terms of him pulling troops out, but I disagreed with it to begin with. So for me, hearing that he is continuing the war is a huge positive. It was one of my biggest fears that he would just try to end the wars entirely.

For reasons as to not cause a huge controversy in the forums, I will stray away from the view that the wars were and are necessary.