xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
phoenixinno

Windows Live Messenger 2009

Get rid of Photo Sharing nowWindows Live Messenger 2009What a disaster the new photo sharing app is. I agree with the previous poster who mentioned those of us who use MSN for work all day. We're trying to get some damn work done microsoft... Stop screwing with us! Where is the damn toggle to turn this garbage off? I've been suffering in silence for months and I finally snapped today. Whoever released this thing without a way to disable it should be fired today. I wouldn't mind it if he/she was strung up by their unmentionables as well. I want to be able to drag any file into MSN and transfer it to a colleague. Plain and simple. You had it right for a decade and now this??Time to find the best open source alternative and run with it. Goodbye MSN Live Messenger. You ****.-reply by WorstFeatureEver

Yeah Iwas excited too about the new layout and organization of WLM and gotten use to it, even though they copied most of the ideas from yahoo messenger :). Either way, this is by far the best version even if it does keep logging me off from time to time and to me that is very annoying

Well there is know simple way to disable the photo sharing application, however, there is a way to cut it off for good and that you need a hex editor for this to work.

For those interested in the technical details, check out the function at msnmsgr.exe+1FF651. It checks a passed in filename for an extension of .tiff, .tif, .png, .gif, .jpg, and .jpeg, and also makes a call to a function exported by uxcore.dll named ?IsValidImageFile@@YG_NPB_W@Z (which is simply the mangled form of bool __stdcall IsValidImageFile(wchar_t const *)).
and for those interested in implementing this fix yourself, open msnmsgr.exe with a hex editor (like XVI32), go to offset 16392F, and replace the conditional jump byte 74 with unconditional jump byte EB. If the bytes differ, ensure youre using the latest (at time of writing) build of Windows Live Messenger (14.0.8064.206).

I contacted the author of popular utility A-Patch and recommended inclusion into their application. I tried to ping the MessPatch folks but they dont have an obvious way to contact them.

Odds are Microsoft will frown on this but so far it seems to be the only working solution to this problem.

Is full of ads that I can't stand all over in it (lucky that a product like AdMuncher exists to block them :) )

I use APatch for MSN WLM. it gets rid of the annoying things. Also pidgen is good, but I'd prefer Windows Live.

It's the simply fact that everyone uses Windows Messenger :/ So, everyone else is going to use it as well. It's like AOL. We know it's crap. But people still use it. Why? Most people are stupid >>' My parents use AOL. And thus, I use AOL. And only recently did I really start to feel how crap AOL are. Search 'cannot connect to EA online, AOL'. And you will learn my pain. Anyway. MSN. I use it xD Don't like it. But I'm too lazy to use anything else when It's there when I turn my PC on. ^-^'

I'm not a fan of the new Windows Live Messenger. Granted, I don't use Windows Live/MSN very much at all, I still liked the older version better. The new one tends to run slower on my system, and since many of my friends haven't upgraded to the new one, I can't do chats with multiple users. But, like I said, I don't use Windows Live/MSN that much to begin with.

As of what SaraInWasteland said. The new MSN 2009 never allows me to sign in. I don't know why, I've tried different tutorials and FAQ articles on how to fix this issue, but it never works for me the way I expected it to work. I prefer to use the original 2008 one better, to be honest. It allows me to sign in perfectly fine, apart from one thing; it disconnects and times out from time-to-time, but I can deal with that since I can just click "Reconnect". ;)

Maybe that's corrupted system files. Try doing on cmd "sfc /scannow" to check for system errors and repair them. Then delete ALL instances of messenger and re-try. if not, just use Pidgin, aMSN, Web Messenger or MSN Messenger 4.0.

As I said, the new messenger only does that. Not the old 8.5. Only the new one. The one where Microsoft have made it look like Vista/Windows 7. What retards they are for trying to make an INSTANT MESSAGING program look like Vista! ;)

Oh how unquality your post is above SV. ;)And who on earth is Ballmer? No one can do anything just because I let out my comments and honest opinions about a Messenger software application. I don't like it's theme, so that's my opinion and comment. It doesn't matter what I or others may think, they may like the theme, whilst others may not. It's just our own honest opinions and I am just sharing my own with everyone. :P

I started to use Windows Messenger in the 2004 where I got started in the internet world. Since 2004 I saw a tendence about the Messengers: Almost all the people use Hotmail and Live how inbox, and by default almost all the people are obligated to use the Windows Messenger.

In 2005 started the problems with this software, my computer restart when I opened the Messenger. I installed the Kaspersky Antivirus but there was no any virus. Of course, I unistalled the Windows Messenger and that made me to change my inbox to Yahoo! Mail.

Once in Yahoo, I already noted the superiority over Hotmail. The Yahoo Messenger was more nice than Windows and the options were more intuitive and various than Microsoft.

But in 2008 a friend that I needed a favor from him only used Windows Live Messenger so I got the balls to install it one more time. At first worked perfectly but in come weeks the problems started again and I was obligated to unistall it.

This year I gave the last chance to the Windows Live Messenger but the story was scary, the problems started in only 3 days and I was obligated to format my hard disk and I lost all my files and information.

So my conclution is: Windows Live Messenger have a problem in the programation code and damage the OS when you use it more than one month, at least.

So, I don?t recommend you to download or install this software.

I hope to help you to prevent a disaster.

I started to use Windows Messenger in the 2004 where I got started in the internet world. Since 2004 I saw a tendence about the Messengers: Almost all the people use Hotmail and Live how inbox, and by default almost all the people are obligated to use the Windows Messenger.

In 2005 started the problems with this software, my computer restart when I opened the Messenger. I installed the Kaspersky Antivirus but there was no any virus. Of course, I unistalled the Windows Messenger and that made me to change my inbox to Yahoo! Mail.

Once in Yahoo, I already noted the superiority over Hotmail. The Yahoo Messenger was more nice than Windows and the options were more intuitive and various than Microsoft.

But in 2008 a friend that I needed a favor from him only used Windows Live Messenger so I got the balls to install it one more time. At first worked perfectly but in come weeks the problems started again and I was obligated to unistall it.

This year I gave the last chance to the Windows Live Messenger but the story was scary, the problems started in only 3 days and I was obligated to format my hard disk and I lost all my files and information.

So my conclution is: Windows Live Messenger have a problem in the programation code and damage the OS when you use it more than one month, at least.

So, I don´t recommend you to download or install this software.

I hope to help you to prevent a disaster.

As years goes by, things improved. Try not to link old causes to new versions of MSN Messenger. I once upon a time used the Live Messenger 2009 and its much better in terms of UI. The only cause of problem is during the reinstallation of the messenger IN the same computer. It broke itself on the second installation where some .dll files couldnt register itself properly.

Still theres alot of alternative IM clients to use where you can avoid live messenger totally. Currently i am using Miranda IM and it have been serving me really well. Oh before i forget, i used Live Messenger 2009 for a solid year before the problem i stated above started when i try to reinstall it after a clean format.

WML is bloated and really frustratingWindows Live Messenger 2009

Re WLM, even on older versions, why does a messenger program have to take up 79MB of system memory?The first few versions of windows messenger were quite adaquate but they wont do 'offline messaging' which sucks, else I'd be still using them.All I want from a messenger program is messenger!... *** do I need all the other crap unless I specifically want to download that component and install it. Eg games, photo album sharing etc.All I want is a simple messenger. the ability to transfer files via drag-and-drop and offline messaging.All the rest of the bloat. WLM extras could be, and should be, online only and not tightly incorporated in the messenger program itself.Again *** is a messenger program doing chewing up 79MB of system RAM with only a single conversation going, every time I run WLM, I feel like I'm being screwed, and what information are they collecting?... How would one know... When its using 79MB or ram, its doing more than handle a single conversation.

WLM = Wasting Lots of Memory!

-reply by sedman

Forced downloading of windows live messenger 2009Windows Live Messenger 2009

Today I, and another friend, were forced to download windows live messenger 2009.  I have used this before, but my friend had an older version.  Now that we have the same version,  when he sends an invite from the spades game on the zone.Com site, I do not receive it. He sends it, and I don't even see it.  Also, it appears we cant start a game of spades from the messenger games window either. Yes, I can send the invite and he receives it, but he has to turn protect off on his computer, and he does not like to do this.  Is there something I can do so I can receive an invite from him for spades?  Any information would be appreciated, thankyou.

-question by Heather Evans

Windows new version 2009 sucks ! I am basically cut off from my mail account now because it won't let me sign in unless I install their ****ty update. I did it twice. The first time it mysteriously latched itself onto firefox which proceeded to inform me everytime I clicked on my shiny new email inbox, that I couldn't use the email function (the whole purpose of having a mssenger account) because my cookies weren't set to allow, which in fact they WERE! So I uninstalled everything and deleted the firefox program and tried again this time with just Internet explorer whooooooo...Same thing! Nice shiny new useless widow with all the cute little graphic design upgrades but this time when I clicked my email inbox which had 37 messages, it wouldn't do anything. So, click click click...Forever and all I have is four email accounts that messenger in its infinite wisdom has denied me access to all because they7made a stupid piece of **** that doesn't do anything except allow you to set your background or myriad other useless functions...

I'm basically screwed now. Messenger pops up everytime I try to sign in on the older 8.1.0178.00 version and tells me I MUST install the piece of **** 2009 version...

Sorry for the colourful language but I'm mad as hell and I don't have any idea what to do. I'm going to lose all my contacts!! BTW the email address I had to type in the box above is one of the now inaccessible ones