xisto Community
puneye

How To Change Xp Icon Complete System Icon

I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3. I want to change my Xp icons like Vista Icons.I searched in google about how to change xp icon. There are some tips how to change icon for My computer, My documents, Folder's Icon, My Network Places, Recycle Bin . But I want to change whole System Icons (Everything of Xp). Anybody can help me how to change ??

The only way to change the basic system icons, as in the favorites, folders, and those things that come with XP, is by installing a theme. You can also install each one by one, which is a big chore. The other option is to really install a theme that changes the layout XP to look like Vista, some of them work, but not all of them, look them up and see which one you like the best. You can't change them all with one click, unless you change the system32 folder, and delete them and replace with Vista icons with the same name, but that requires significant knowledge and if it doesn't work then you have a problem. Just replace one by one or install a theme, don't mess around with that though.

The only way to change the basic system icons, as in the favorites, folders, and those things that come with XP, is by installing a theme. You can also install each one by one, which is a big chore. The other option is to really install a theme that changes the layout XP to look like Vista, some of them work, but not all of them, look them up and see which one you like the best. You can't change them all with one click, unless you change the system32 folder, and delete them and replace with Vista icons with the same name, but that requires significant knowledge and if it doesn't work then you have a problem. Just replace one by one or install a theme, don't mess around with that though.

Thank you for suggestion. As you told, to install vista theme in xp, we have to patch some Xp system files which cause the xp disorder. I want to change only icons. Have you any idea about install vista theme without patching xp.

How To Change Xp Icon - Complete System IconHow To Change Xp Icon

If you want to change the default icons in windows XP, you have to use any resource editors (I'm using ResHacker-a free software)Most of the XP icons are located in %systemroot%system32shell32.DllTo change the My Computer icon -> edit the %systemroot%explorer.ExeTo change the My Documents icon -> edit the %systemroot%system32mydocs.DllIf you like, I can give the already edited shells to make your XP like Vista or Windows 7.

How To Change Xp Icon - Complete System Icon

How To Change Xp Icon

If you want to change the default icons in windows XP, you have to use any resource editors (I'm using ResHacker-a free software) Most of the XP icons are located in %systemroot%\system32\shell32.Dll To change the My Computer icon -> edit the %systemroot%\explorer.Exe To change the My Documents icon -> edit the %systemroot%\system32\mydocs.Dll If you like, I can give the already edited shells to make your XP like Vista or Windows 7.

OK Can you give me ?

You can send me it, either in my email or Give me some web urls to download it.

I have been looking on the web for the last 2 days about vista default icons. I have to say your suggestion on XP icons is one of the best I have read. Most either are full of usless jibber or offer a 3rd party software. Not to often I actually see a real answer.

Changing Xp icons like Vista IconsHow To Change Xp Icon

Here are the links for the edited shells:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Replace the original files either in SAFE MODE or using any tools to replace the system files (such as "replacer"). Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

-reply by Suthakar

I know for shortcuts, you can go to properties and click change icon. Now you can use any .ico files for the icon. I think it is similar for files.But I don't know about normal (non-shortcut) folder, and I,too, want to know how to change - for better personalisation.

@ puneye

Lucky you, I'm almost done with my own project of this kind. I was able to edit files from i386 folder of my xpcd installer, changed the default theme and wallpaper including cursors (from default to aero cursors), I have also changed the default audio and the user picture, the welcome screen and lastly, I also make it an unattended version without using nlite.

email me for instructions...

-reply by Rino Valentino