xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zeyomie

Hiring Felons What is so wrong with it?

Replying to galexcdIn regards to the issue of hiring people with criminal backgrounds, I can see both arguments. My personal feeling, as a person who works daily with felons, in an academic arena, at some point the system has to offer these offenders options other than living a life of crime. Whether it be, training programs for fields that are not relative to background scrutiny or educational advancement to work with a target population in crime prevention...The been there done that philosophy goes a long way. While serving prison sentences, most offenders have jobs that benefit the free world. For example, Prison Industry Authority services glasses for outside retail optical stores, makes shoes wells known shoes stores and washes and folds bedding for hospitals and convalescent hospitals and in some cases even help you make your vacation plans through 1 800 travel agencies.So...It is unfair to continually punish someone once that have demonstrated multiple rehabilitational facets. Yes, of course, there are some crimes where rehabilitation is more difficult and involves a more extensive scope in the rehabilitational aspect.-reply by veronica

FelonsHiring Felons

I'm not sure you know how easy it is to become a felon. Ever lie, or even stretch the truth a little on your taxes? Ever tell a cop "I didn't know I was speeding"? Have you ever taken a look at the EPA regs? Store one chemical next to the wrong one and guess what, you are a felon. Know what they got Martha Stewart for? Lying. There are well over 10,000 laws that can make you a felon, so before you judge make sure you know ALL the information.

By the way, in some states (California for one) if you are a non-violent or non-drug related once you complete your sentence you can petetion the court to reduce or dismiss the charges, assuming you had no problems during your sentence. I think this only applies to probation but I'm not sure. Worth checking into though. And if you look at this page https://www.aclu.org/map/state-criminal-re-enfranchisement-laws-map?redirect=maps/map-state-criminal-disfranchisement-laws

you'll see that felons can vote in most states.

-reply by Keith

The Stark Reality of ConsequenceHiring Felons

The perception that convicted felons should be given a second chance is absolute garbage. Society likes to think that it's enlightened and above such petty prejudice but it's not. In this day and age, a petty theft and/or a drug conviction is all it takes to reduce someone to the equivalent of a leper in the American workforce. I am no saint, by any means. In my younger years, I was a reckless disaster in motion and have several convictions on my record and it was all do to an inability to acknowledge or curtail my drug addiction. Circumstances have changed and I have been clean for over 4 years. I am a certified welder, a commercial diver, a Class A commercial driver and a carpenter. I have years of experience in many fields and still can't find a job at all. The idea that there will come a time when one's past will be reconsidered is nonsense.

The advent of the computer has changed all that. Nothing is lost anymore and in the world of cold calculating capitalism, it's all about minimizing liability, and anyone with a former drug habit is just that. The general idea is that an addict is capable of anything (theft, rape, murder) to feed their habit and that most who recover are prone to relapse. Therefore the chances for the average felon these days to find gainful employment, even if skilled, is far less than someone the average fresh-faced high school graduate with no experience. So please excuse me as I puke in absolute disgust at all this enlightened conversation about second chances and the redemption of society's wayward souls because if you knew someone living near you was an excon, you would see them as less than equal automatically. It is man's nature.

-reply by Phil

well depending on what the person has done, they shouldn't be hired... "well I see here your applying to be our accountant, and your an ID Theif... Well congratulations! you're hired" whats wrong with that? like seriously, hire a murderer to euthanise animals or something, slaughter cattle/poultry but lets not let them work in schools or daycares. Dont let financial felons work around money/info etc etc etc does anyone else see the logic behind this?does anyone see a flaw? doubtful, its a completely sound concept. Cheers,

I am a convicted felon who needs some advice/help...etc.Hiring Felons

I am from the Great State of Texas and as a convicted felon, I am having a hard time getting a job. I have put forth my best effort and am in the process of exhausting all of the resources available to me.  It is hard, especially having to come home from prison after losing everything and living with my parents... Something I haven't done in a long time. I am in a crappy situation because before I went to prison, I didn't have a job which makes me a convicted felon with no actual work experience.  I got educated while I was incarcerated (a plus), but it is still difficult.  It is especially difficult when these potential employers find out why I went to prison in the first place.  I have completely changed my life and feel like I am limited by society and the government, amongst others.  I know that I want to do the right thing and although there seems there is no light at the end of this tunnel, I will not give up.  I encourage others out there just like me to not give up as well.  Of course there are times when I want to because it feels like everything is crashing in all around me, especially with my financial difficulties, but I refuse to go back to the lifestyle I used to live... /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley2.Gif

-question by Shalikha Baker

responseHiring Felons

S. Baker,

You keep on going.  I know it is hard. My husband is currently on probation for a crime and is trying to get it together.  He began his journey by going to church. A pastor there heard his story and gave him a reference to a parishner who also was told his story and offered him a job.  He worked or him for about 6 months as tiler (he installed tile) but his knees were already bad and so he had to quit.  He then through the church and some people we went to group with got a job with a man who he told his story to and started to work in the mortgage industry.  He was making fair money when the industry collapsed and is now looking for another opportunity.  It has been tough but in the end it is important to know and get to know people who will then vouch for you, or even take a chance on you.  Volunteer where you can, show that you can and are willing to use your experiences to help others.  Find an oraganization that you can participate in.  If you have to move back home, make the best of it and use whatever time you have to involve yourself with people whenever and wherever you can.  There is a path that is set for you and I know you will find it.  May every favor be moved upon you and a light be shown to guide your way.   

-reply by tb0420

DUI (Labeled Loser)Hiring FelonsCurrently have a 3rd DUI (with Class 2 felony) in the past 15 years. Did not hurt or kill anybody, thank God. But did my jail time and attending AA meeting's and going to required classes amended by courts. Have been sober for over a year. Problem is now I can not find a employment with record. Kind of makes one want to crawl to the bottle, I ask society and the justice system. Let's not attack the person, but the problem. Problem of addiction to alcohol, prescription drugs or illegal drugs. Note, there are more people addicted to prescirption drugs(VICODIN, OXY's ring a bell) and illegal drugs that are driving under the influence on our streets than the drunk driver's.By the way DUI is not just being under the influence of alcohol (another label by society). MADD may need to re-focus with the breath to start vehicle, another revenue builder for state. We need more resources that helps addict's to recover and not a money maker for the sytem.-reply by Faith101

FelonsHiring Felons

I just have to say not all Felons remain criminals for the rest of there lives.  My husband  was convicted of armed robbery at a store when he was 19 years old. He was hopped up on drugs and alcohol and did it on a dare! He had a fake gun no excuse he did it and he deserved the sentence that he got! He did his time and when released he went out and found a job and traveled all over the U.S working paying taxes and paying his debt to society.  He has not been in any trouble nor would he since his release.  He has a wife and children that he would do anything for! But after 9-11 he is not only treated like a criminal he is also treated like a Terrorist as well as a criminal! He can not get a job in the places that he worked pre-9-11 like oil rigs and plants he can't even get a job at McDonalds cause he was convicted of robbery! I think that if you stay out of trouble for at least 15 years then your criminal record should be explunged automatically! Child Molesters and Murders have more rights to work in this country then my husband and that is just wrong! Yes he was convicted of a violent crime in a scene but it is a far cry from a child molester or a cold blooded murderer!  My husband has been un-employed for several years now and does the oddest things to make extra money for the family. He collects garbage around the neighborhood such as tv, dressers, tables, and such and brings them home and works on them in the garage and fixes them up and sells them in almost new condition! I just think that our society does not realize that they do nothing to help these people and stereo-type them and keep them from working so what do you think they will resort to next when they can not provide for their children and their wives the cycle could come right back around and start all over again. I know my husband would never do that but I am certain it does happen and now you know WHY!

-reply by Donna

When I was 4 years old, my uncle (by marriage), sexually molested me.  He repeatedly did it for years.  He told me that if I told anyone, he would kill my father.  Finally, it stopped when I was in 8th grade because he moved away.  I had a hard time all my life trying to understand what was happening to me and became very depressed over the years but I fought it.  I fought it by being very active in high school, getting good grades, being a cheerleader, UIL competitor and winner and even getting 3 full scholarships to college.  But, something happened to me once I graduated.  I began acting out and was really depressed and thought I was going crazy.  I sought after help but couldn't get answers.  I didn't have self worth anymore and had low self esteem.  I found myself trying to make people like me by being someone I was not. Eventually, I committed a crime (forgery).  I never had a criminal history and even with the forgery, didn't take anything that didn't belong to me.  I was just stupid and tried to impress someone to make them like me.  Anyway, I got in trouble for it and spent 5 years on probation.  I have 2 weeks left on it.  Since the crime, I got the help that I needed, went to college and got my BA in Psychology and am in grad school studying Human Relations and Business.  I'm also helping other women who have been sexually abused as well.  

The problem is, no matter what anyone says about my past, I know who I am.  I'm not the person that committed that crime.  That person was hurting, abused and hopeless.  Nevertheless, no one will give me a job.  It's hard to find an apartment that's not in a bad area, and most of the time, I can't get assistance.  I believe that first time non-violent offenders should have the opportunity for a sealed or expunged record.  But, currently that's not happening.  So, what are our options?  Who's going to give those who are truly trying the chance to redeem themselves?  This is not about first impressions.  This is about survival.  Here I am trying to make a better life for myself and don't know where my next meal is coming from.  I'm staying at a family members house because no one will give me housing.  No one will give me a job to take care of myself.  What choices do we have?  Going back to crime doesn't work for me, because it was NEVER me.  I just got caught up in my situation because I had underlined problems that needed to be addressed and dealt with.  

Today, I've been having to talk myself out of committing suicide.  I feel like it's going to always be this way.  But, I'm not going to let myself go out like that!  I'm strong, I'm a hard worker, I love life and optimism.  So, I will wait and pray.  Someday, somehow, something will work out...For the good.

-reply by Still Standing

Felons in your societyHiring Felons

I do not believe that felons should be discriminated against when trying to get a job. Why because I am a convicted felon and I made a terrible mistake in my past and took someone's life but that is not to say that I am a bad person who should not be trusted. I do not lie, cheat, nor do I still. I had never been in trouble with the law before and as of yet since getting out of prison I have not been in trouble with the law. I think that it is very sad that people steady concentrate on a persons negative past. Most people that meet me can not believe that I have been to prison and for what I was in there for. Since getting out I have accomplish a number of things. I for one have gotten my associates in Business and I am trying to start my own business.

It is a shame that I have so many talents, skills and qualifications and still can not find a job because of people who think that we should not be given a second chance. I have a family to take care of, bills to pay, as well as taxes just like everyone else but society wants to continue to focus on my past instead of the present. I have been turned down by many people while job hunting and soon as the hear that I have a felony the answer is I can not hire you. I know that I am a hard worker, dedicated, trustworthy, honest and dependable. It hurts to be turned down all the time but I think that I would be an asset if hired with anyones company...But they will never see it cause they can't get past "MY PAST" That is why alot of people have become repeat offenders...How are they suppose to make a living and take care of their families. Everyone makes mistakes...Some learn from them and some don't you can not judge everyone alike. 

-reply by Ms. K

i do have to say that the price of commiting a crime is high in the united states. you can serve a few years in prison thinking you're free, but society will still put that strangle hold on ya. but see, that is part of the price. felons can't be trusted in society even if they served their time. just because they served time, doesn't mean they have earned back the trust they stole from people. so. in order to earn back that trust, they have to dedicate their lives to doing the opposite of what got them put in prison in the first place. eventually, it gets easier over time when society can start trusting felons again.

it's a catch 22 for some people because it gives them reasons to commit more crimes when society doesn't accept them after they feel they have done their time. but the thing is, as hard as it is for the felons, it's hard on all the innocent people out there and the victims of people who commit felonies.

i believe in second chances though but reading what you wrote about alot of your family members being felons, there is something seriously going on in that family when it's more than 1 felon in the family. so uintil those issues are resolved, why would you expect anyone to trust? UNTIL they give society a reason to trust them. going to prison isn't enough to gain trust, bud. you have common sense enough to know that. i also see your point though.

i for one am very trusting. i have also been hurt more than others but i feel it's worth believing in someone rather than not believing even if they made mistakes because everyone makes mistakes. nobody perfect. it's just the degree of the mistakes we have to take in to consideration.

if i were a felon and just got out of prison, i would lie on my application and leave it up to the employer to find out wether he wants to hire me or not or fire me after hiring me after he found out i was a felon. sometimes, you can work for a good company without that company finding out or it will give the felon enough time to prove him/herself before the emplyer finds out. sometimes exections can be made to company policy.

another alternative for a felon who is being discriminated is to start their own business. whether offline or online.

we live in a society that trust is usually GIVEN to anyone until they give a reason not to trust. felons have given that reason not to trust them. now....instead of trust freely given, they have to go by the rule and philosophy that trust wont be freely given. you have to EARN IT!

as far as those felons that were wrongly convicted, that will always be a shame and proves nothing is perfect. not even our justice system

This really irks me, I have several friends, and even some family members who are felons. They've made their mistakes and have paid their debt to society. But they are not able to get respectable employment, It seems these days the only places that will hire felons are fast food joints. Most of them that I know have resorted to running their own businesses because people refuse to hire them because of their background. At least those who don't work at McDonalds or Waterburger.
Employers are not supposed to discriminate against felons, just like anyone else. But I guarantee you, you have a felon apply for a job, and someone who is less qualified apply for the same job. That less qualified person will be hired well before the felon is even considered. I know too many people who are GOOD PEOPLE that are discriminated against because of their background.

Even when it comes to those who own their own businesses. Should someones background really be taken that much into consideration when choosing them to do your work? Say you want a landscaper to design your yard. His price is reasonable, and he's more then qualified with many years experience, has references, and is known for being honest and doing quality work. Would you hire him if say he was a past sex offender or thief? He's obviously trying to make a life for himself by doing honest hard work, and has learned from his mistakes, or could even have been wrongly accused and still did the time for it, you really wouldn't know. Would you hire him over someone who was less experienced, with higher prices, and fewer references, but had a clean record?

I don't want to hear anymore crying from people who are felons or who have family that are felons about getting a job! I myself feel that this is complete bull****! For one, if they did the crime (many of them did) then they should be punished for it not me! For two, they do their little sentence take classes, get a college degree, and don't have to pay a damn dime! Does that sound fair to the person who paid his way through college and is now in debt due to student loans? My last point is this, since the government is now making it more acceptable to hire felons due to the tax deduction at the end of the year, there are more ex-cons working in todays workforce than people who are upstanding citizens with a clean criminal background! It kills me to see a company refuse to hire somebody because they are too worried about when the next bus of convicts get transported into work release system! How would it feel if you and your felon relative applied for the same job with the same credentials and they got the job and you never even got a call back? So like the old saying is, "IF YOUR GOING TO DO THE CRIME, YOU'RE GOING TO DO THE TIME!" They made their choices so they should have to live with it not ME!

in reply to iguestHiring Felons

"Do the crime, do the time" huh?  What do you think about the whole prison thing.  I myself am a convicted felon sir. I did four years and eight months.  You do not get to sit around and just go to school the entire time.  It is a very hard place to be at where you live with criminals every single day.  Granted I technically am one as well, but we would never trust each other like that...I mean would you?  We HAVE to work without getting paid a dime UNLESS we are a full-time student.  If you want to take college classes, you have to pay for them UNLESS you qualify for a pell grant and student loans.  However less than 2% of the prison population actually takes college classes, which I know you would love to prove your point more but that is not the issue.  I just personally take offense at your outright disrespect of people in situations that aren't as good as your own.  Simply because one is a felon they should never be allowed to work?  We are not talking about murderers here...We are talking about people who commit crimes, pay for their actions, and get placed back in society.  You are making it seem like every single person that is a felon should get nothing at all.  People are there for anything from rape to fraud, DWI to theft, murder to cyber crimes.  It is a very wide range of crimes with a wide range of people, many of whom have wives/husbands and kids, and many of whom get released and simply want to just live a normal life.  As for myself, I committed one crime and one crime only in my entire life, and with this first offense they threw the book at me and gave me five years.  I was only 19, and it was for robbery where I turned myself in immediately after because I was trying to void my naval enlistment(I was enlisted in the nuclear field).  Since my release, I have been doing everything I can to get my life on track and provide myself with a great future.  I have gone to a UNIVERSITY for 2 years, which I have been paying for on my own, I have held a steady job for over two years, I pay all my bills, and I try to stay active in the community doing volunteer work like for MS.  If I did not have the felony on my record, I believe I would be a much more upstanding citizen than you.  You come on this message board and lambast a demographic of people that you know absolutely nothing about...Yet what are you doing in your life that furthers anything but more divisibility.  So here are some hard truths for you and anyone else out there who has a hard headed idiotic opinion on felons:  1)  I am probably smarter than you and a better person...Because these things are shown by the type of person you are and what you do...Not by your title because of what you may have done, 2) Felons are going to get out...In the U.S. Already one out of every four(generalized) people you meet is either a felon or has a family member that is a felon...Get used to it...They are going to be here...And what would you rather want?  for them to **** up all your tax dollars getting welfare and not working or for them to work and have their tax dollars help support school programs for your kids? and 3) because you are obviously untintelligent and can't see the BIGGER picture:  MAYBE THE FELONS WERE HIRED BECAUSE THEY WERE BETTER FOR THE JOB THAN THE OTHER PERSON?  I have to explain this though:  felons usually DON'T get hired.  If they do, they have to prove themselves ten times over a person who hasn't been convicted of a crime.  So if they got the job...Then it just means that they were better at it/had more experience/more training than the other person.  Now get over yourself and deal with it. 

and just cause someone commits one crime doesn't mean that they are going to over and over and over and over and over again...Some people do, but not everyone...And you also have to remember that before they ever committed a crime, they were just like you a regular upstanding citizen of the community...So look around you cause that means that anyone around you who is not a felon could possibly become one.

In the end everything does come to choice...We made our decision and we are not just paying for it...We are suffering for it...Even after we were punished for the crime...What people like YOU do is make the situation even more difficult for us. In fact, people like you make it more difficult for everyone in this country because so many felons are around us.  Despite your opnion though, I am going to continue working my jobs, going to school, I am going to get a really good job someday, get married have children and have successful life and you can just sit there wallow around about how pissed off you are that we are doing what we are supposed to be doing and making a life for ourselves.  I mean seriously...Would you rather have all of us getting out and just making life one big criminal spree...Or would you want us to change it?

-reply by Joey Maxwell

Felons can be rehabilitated and should be given the same opportunities as anyoneHiring Felons

To the person who posted their response at 6:02am on Nov 20th. First you need to remove the chip on your shoulder.  Secondly I don't know where you get your information, but it is lacking in truth. The truth is convicted felons do pay for their crime, not only with a jail sentence and or probation but also with hefty fines and restitution. I know this first hand as I am a convicted felon. Yes I made a poor choice over 15 years ago, confessed to my crime, did time in jail and successfully completed probation to include paying over $120,000.00 in restitution. Please tell me how many people that you know of will mortgage their home to pay ALL the restitution?

I have worked very hard to turn something negative into something positive.  I have worked hard to prove I have been rehabilitated, excellent work history with positive performance evaluations and letters of recommendation.Demonstrating I am a person with integrity, value honest, loyalty, confidentiality, a person who can be trusted and who is respected. Yet even with all that I have accomplished I continue to be judged for my conviction 15years ago. Recently was just fired because even though I did not have to disclose my felony conviction at this new place of employment, a position which I thought would be a wonderful career move, once my employer found out about my conviction I was fired, just after a very positive 3 month evaluation. 

That is not fair but then life is not fair. Employers should not be allowed to discriminate against felons. Society wants to rehabilitate criminals, states pay financially and with lots of effort and resources to rehabilitate felons, yet for most it is all talk and blowing smoke when it comes to hiring felons. When it comes down to it felons are not given the same opportunities as people with out felony convictions.  I have been discriminated against by state and government agencies. I am continuing to be judged for my convicted and not for the person I am today and all the I have accomplished. 

Laws need to be changed so rehabilitated felons are not discriminated against. Everyone has a past and everyone has made poor choices is it right that people continue to be judged for those poor choices from our past? I say to all the people who judge me because of my conviction God help you on judgment day, I pray for forgiveness for you. I thankful for my experiences as it has made me the wonderful person I am today. God has blessed me and continues to do so each and everyday even during this trying economy and my continued unemployment.  My story is one that needs to be heard and that is what I work on each and everyday. Sharing my story with community members, business owners, government and students who can learn from my experience. A blessing to all who hear my story and a blessing for me in helping others. Everything happens for a reason and often times we may not know the reason but God does. God has given me a voice, a voice to stand up and help change the way people judge felons, I am giving rehabilitated felons a voice, a voice that will be heard. 

-reply by tigger

reply to iGuestHiring Felons

? What ever!! Here is what I did to get a felony... Me and some friends went out to have a few drinks, around 8pm. That's what we did. I had 3 beers, we decided to go to another bar around 930pm, but just before we left the bar I felt kinda strange so I told my friend id meat up with them latter I thought I would just go home and sleep it off and that it would pass! I never made it home according to my GF! In fact, I don't even remember leaving the bar! By the time I became coherent I was face down in a field not knowing when or how I even got there! I didn't know what time it was or any thing like that! All I could do was start walking! It was dark out, but couldn't tell if it was morning or night, didn't know witch way to walk, I got lucky though, I came across a sign that helped ! I was 80 miles from home!! After a 80 mile hike I made it home. To my surprise my car was gone , and the cops where looking for me!! They claim I  was in a case for more than 2.5 hrs.!  How could this be I thought? I tried to fight it but lost! They gave me three yrs and a felony! Yep that's right, They said I was trying to avoid a DUI! Not for three beers! Ive been pulled over with 12 beers in me and walked away! IT would have been the First DUI I had ever got! I told myself that if this could happen to me it could happen to ANYONE!! I was released early for good behaviour and placed on payrole for 3yrs, that to I was released after only 1.5 yrs! I have not had a drink since then, more than 7 yrs ago! I still have yet to find a job that pays more than min wage! SO I ask what was my crime? To this day I`m still unclear on what actually happened!  Employers have an application to fill out to see what you can do, who you know, and so on. So should it be with felons, look it up and see just how bad a felon is or is not!