xisto Community
phoenixinno

Best Linux Distro

I would recommend one of the following. They all have access to ready-to-run software (called a repository) through a package manager (one click install), and all have a live CD so you can try them out before you install them. You've nothing to lose by downloading them and trying them out.

Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/

Kubuntu - http://www.kubuntu.org/

openSUSE - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

There is also a short quiz here which picks the best distribution for you.

I think Ubuntu is one of the most user friendly distros out there. Also, it has been acclaimed by many credible websites as the best distro available. openSUSE was the first version of Linux I used, and it was great. So either of those would be good choices.

There really isn't an objective "best" concerning Linux. Each one does its own thing on some level and is geared toward certain crowds. But if you're new to Linux, then stick with Ubuntu. I'ma assume you meant to say "Vista" when you said "vist," so if you for some reason decide to go with OpenSuSE, then your laptop should be able to run it. OpenSuSE's hardware requirements are a bit more than your usual Linux distro. I suppose the version of GNOME that comes with the latest Ubuntu would suffice for you. I stick with Ubuntu for its repository (though i find Gentoo's repository to be better) and because i don't need to maintain my setup (like Linux used to be).

I too suggest ubuntu. This is very easy to use, and you'll get great support from ubuntu forums, if you need any. Ubuntu has all the basic needs you want. It is easy. It comes in a live CD which has an option to install on your system. You can install it or try it from your CD. Since you don't know anything about linux I suggest you to use it along with your current OS. Once you're comfortable with Linux you can switch to it completely.

There is also a short quiz here which picks the best distribution for you.

I recommend that anyone looking to pick out a Linux distro take the quiz to see what might suit them. I love "finders," if that's what you call them. It definitely helps when you've got a bajillion choices and want to filter down your selection with key criteria.

Major kudos to rvalkass. :P

I have decided I am going to use Ubuntu. Would someone please explain the differences between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, Fluxbuntu, etc. Are there major differences and which is the most suitable option. (my preferences are in the first post)Cheers

I have decided I am going to use Ubuntu. Would someone please explain the differences between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, Fluxbuntu, etc. Are there major differences and which is the most suitable option. (my preferences are in the first post)

Cheers

Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu are all fairly similar. They differ in what is known as the window manager. That is the application which draws all the windows and runs everything you see (consider it as Linux's version of Windows's explorer.exe). In Ubuntu it is an application called Gnome. In Kubuntu it is KDE. In Xubuntu it is Xfce. Each one comes with its own set of programs, but they all have the same functionality. For example, with Ubuntu your media player is Rhythmbox, while with Kubuntu it is Amarok. They both do the same thing, just look different. It is purely down to personal preference. Take a look at screenshots of all three and decide which one you like best. Alternatively, download them all, burn them to CDs and play around with the Live CD for each of them, then install the one you like best.

Mythbuntu is geared towards being run on a media PC and being hooked up to your TV. It includes MythTV, which is a free open-source equivalent of something like TiVo. It lets you record TV, rewind live TV, etc. Not really recommended for a desktop/laptop PC.

Fluxbuntu uses a different window manager: Fluxbox. It is designed to be used on PCs with very low resources, yet still provide a nice graphical interface. If your laptop was made in the last decade or two, I don't really see the point in trying it.

I suggest Ubuntu.Its easy to use and lughter on system resources.Also its support is good and software repository is huge.but for any reason you dont like ubuntuu can try Mandriva. its also good.

I used Linux Mint for a while, but there was an issue with one of the drivers for a part on my laptop (I can't remember what for though). It was only a minor bug, and it only affected this model of laptop, but to me that was an issue :D It does have more polish than Ubuntu, and is certainly worth a look.

Running Dell D620 laptop with openSUSE and KDE,  I like it. A year ago, I tried Ubuntu and Kubuntu, but SUSE was easier for me to use mostly because I spent the time there to discover!

Spend some time and discover openSUSE :-)

-reply by JerBer