xisto Community
dualstriker

Computer Lcd Monitors What to buy...

My current monitor is a 17inch ViewSonic LCD monitor that has a maximum resolution of just a measley 1024x768. I just changed my computer into one with a Nvidia 9800GT video card. I am just wondering how big is my monitor is going to be in order to utilize my video card effectively. Also I wish for it to be worth the buy since I only have limited funds as of the moment.

really not sure of the size but I do know that your talking some bucks. If you can or have a Ebay accound. I suggest there. I have found some very very good deals on band new items such as a monitor. Even computers. Fact the whole system I am on now got from there.

You just need a monitor you are happy with. The maximum resolution for the 9800GT is 2560x1600. To use that to its full, you're looking at getting a 30" display, like the Apple Cinema HD 30" for £1104 or this Dell 3008WFP 30" for the slightly cheaper £1000. Of course, it is unlikely you actually need something like that, but they will use your card to its full.

I would actually recommend getting a 19" or 21" screen of the highest quality you can afford. You won't be using the maximum resolution of your graphics card, but it's a much more sensible option :P

Your monitor that you get will actually depend on what you do aswell..Say you just browse the web, right, well then you might want a nice, but not so expensive 19" monitors, such as ones made by viewsonic.If you are doing video/photo editing you might wanna go a bit bigger with the 20-24" range, and maybe some that can rotate from horizontal to vertical. This is offered at a good price by HP..BTW I HAVE 400 POSTS. YAY

i found this LCD monitors review page from cnet which is very useful in filtering the LCD options out there in the market. just pick out the features you want (including your price budget range), and it will refine the results for you. you can even compare your choices to have a better insight on what to finally pick. and there's also suggestions on where to purchase your choice LCD monitor, if applicable. :P

and since you're specifically aiming for a high resolution LCD monitor, don't forget to include MAX RESOLUTION in your filters. :P at the moment, there are 19 results for 2560x1600 to choose from. as rvalkass already mentioned, it's the highest possible resolution you can find in the market today. but of course, you can still look for much lower resolution LCD monitors. it all depends on your budget. :P good luck with your quest! :P

LOL @ Tramposch

Like rvalkass said, the 9800GT supports maximum digital resolutions up to 2560x1000 and VGA resolutions up to 2048x1536 (although if you've got a 9800GT, I can safely assume that you'll never go back to VGA once you make your next monitor purchase). You can probably go for monitors with recommended widescreen resolutions up to 1920x1200 (courtesy of NewEgg), and if you snagged the 9800GT to tax its potential, I'm sure you'll be good to go with the loads it will take anyway from playing the latest games or being pushed by the latest software involving render tasks and whatnot.

You can even look into the possibility of snagging an LCD HDTV... which might be another viable option. I believe the 9800GT supports HDMI, and if so, that will be your best bet to connect your video card to a TV via HDMI if you want to utilize the output capability of your video card. From what I can see, the 9800GT has DVI ports and can do HDMI via an adapter... which means that you can connect to most HDTVs nowadays. It won't have HD, but the connectivity is there.

If you're going to play new games at high setting, you wont be able to run at 1920x1200 resolution(especially fps games). A 22inch monitor is a an ideal. The price from 22inch to 24inch is alot for just 2inches.