xisto Community
tatati

Public Speaking did you ever had to speak in front of an audience?

Hello :PFor those who never did it, public speaking is an easy thing to do, it is evident who is good at it and who is not. But when the roles are inverted, one realises that speaking in front of an audience is not as simple.When I had to make a presentation in college I would stay nervous the whole time, and I knew the classroom could see how nervous I was, and I just wanted to do my thing and get out of there fast.But now I have a job opportunity as a teacher at a school nearby, I really want to do it because it is close to home, and I wouldn?t lose contact with the subject matter of the classes. The interview was a try-out class. I prepared and trained for it, the room was empty and I knew the people who I was speaking to. Even so I froze, I was so nervous I couldn?t say a single word, I knew I wasn?t supposed to cross my arms or show signs of nervousness, so I ran to the bathroom and I cried :PI went back and the interviewer knew I had burst into tears. I might have another shot at it but I have to work to improve my presentation skills. By tuesday... :PEven so, does anybody have experience on public speaking? If I fail this week I might try again next semester, who knows.

The only time I really get nervous is if I don't know the material that well, or how I plan to present it. I can usually just go up and whip something up and go from there, but if it is more involved, then I need to plan and practice. But I usually don't have a problem with public speaking at all. Which is somewhat weird because I can be shy sometimes.

I might have a disorder or something but I LOVE PUBLIC SPEAKING. when I got into my High School the first thing I did was join the Debating Team. Whenever I have the oppurtunity I wiull stand up, it doesn't matter what I am talking about, if I don't know what to talk about I will just make something up. Once I was in a debate and I forgot what we were talking aboput and I just start randomly rebutting, not very proffesional, but extremely fun :P.

always hated speaking in public. would get all tongue tied and lose my place and all that. yet and this is the funny thing about it. I have no problem going on a open mic for radio or anything like that. go figure

Well as for performing music in front of people, I have what some might call, an alter-ego. It's like, when I'm infront of people and the attention is on me, I'm not myself anymore, but more, fearless you might say. It's hard to explain. I would never have the courage to go on stage as myself..but as somebody I want to be, then it's ok.

Oh man, do I EVER have problems with that. Well, I'm a lot better than I used to be at least, but it's still tough at times.I think honestly, my problem is pride. Not that I have any, but more that with whatever little scrap of it that I do have left, I feel that I need to hold onto it as tightly has I possibly can. I value my value/status/pride, and that essentially puts a stop to any risks I might think of taking, because risks may cause me to lose value.Ahwell, that was my personal lesson for the week anyway. XD It's REAL hard to change! (It seems that my whole life is ruled by trying to hold onto my pride, it's crazy!) I'm giving it a good and awkward shot, anyway.Really, best of luck to you for prepping and for next time. I hope you somehow find a way to be confident and present the real you, and not just tripping-up-and-momentarily-really-freaked-out you. :D

I usually have problems speaking in public but my colleagues and teachers say that i hide it real nice. I am a marketing major so speaking in public and holding presentations is a must. I get a strange fear feeling when i have to speak in public but only when i have to present something that it's not me. Like when i have to make a project about exporting, i really did not like that subject and on the presentation i was sweating my head off. But nobody noticed and i got an 9. 9 it's like an A :P Anyway i did a lot of progress and usually i am really emotional until i start, after i say a few words it all goes away. Also i never froze, cause when i do something wrong i make a joke or something and get away with it.

I've played a lot of music gigs in front of people.Anywhere from 2000 people to 2 people. The thing is ,once you get used to this it is rather easy to do.A good technique for concentration when speaking to a large group, is don't look anybody in the eyes,butstare into a blank space or the far back wall. This helps you to keep focused and not be distracted.The more you speak/perform in front of people,themore confident you get doing it.

I have given the speech many times at my college and you know it is really not that simple as you think.........The main problem is the courage you have to gather should be tooo much .....Then you should be deeply involved with the topic on which you are going to speak......Just going there and speaking something without proper planning is not a good idea i suppose as it drops down your impression on the listeners And as the saying goes.---"First impression is the last impression"

Why do people get nervous about public speeking?

The main reason is because the speeker isn't confortable in how the audience will react to their words or actions. There are many strategies and methods which will only be prefected by you, depending on how observent you can be, while you talk.

The best way to over come these fears are, as menchioned by someone above, preparation.

When you walk into a classroom, or up on a stage, you should make sure your looking your smartest. By this I mean, well dressed and fresh looking. One of the main downfalls in a speaker, is confidence in their appearance. So by looking good, your increasing your chances of feeling good and forgeting all about your favourite blue shirt.

A good nights sleep is also essencial. This will help you keep your concentration on the topics your briefing and not stray off point to many times. This will help keep the interest of your listeners, by not talking waffle or making mistakes which you may need to backtrack on.

Facial Expressions. When you talk to a group, you must talk to the whole group. When words come from your mouth, speek to everyone. This means, don't draw eye contact with anyone, make eye contact with the overall group. You should find yourself looking around the group, as if waiting for someone to put their hand up.

So, ever look at a student directly, unless your directing a question to them. Remember, if three out of the thirty students look to have no interest, well you have 90% of your class under your spell. If you let this other 10% get to you, the figure will only increase, negativly.

So, block these people out and when you glance over the group, continue as if they wern't even in the room.

Topics: This is the most important aspect of your talk. What would you be interested in if you were the one listening to a speaker? Connect to reality. Include up to date gossip. If you make a point, back it up with modern related news. You dont want people to disagree with you, so be extra strong with your words and relate them to recent news. Try to fit in with their interests, as if you are one of them and pick lines that you know they will agree on.

Posture will help you relax while you stand on stage. Stand up straight, keep one arm by your side and the other between your stomach and chest. When you speek use this raised arm to elabourite with.

A trick I learned here was when I changed topic of conversation, only then I would change my positition.

eg. After ending a topic, I would turn with my side to the listeners, drop my head slightly (not moving my arms) and say. "Now I would like to talk about..."

And again, have confidence in yourself, the more you worry the more unwanted butterflies will appear!

Best of luck with your speach folks...

Yeah I had to take a class in public speaking it took a few weeks to at least shed some of the nervousness thanks to preparing and practicing and what not. Still it is nerve racking and so its hard not to be self conscious of you being in front of an audience and speaking and it is always a good to switch your brain off when giving a presentation or speech. Of course, the more you do it and what not the better you get and the nervousness eventually goes away, but there is always the oh crap moment and someone trying to out think you and stuff and loving to prove you wrong if its one of those speeches.

I am not a very good publice speaker!I have had a shot at speaking publicly but didn't really please the crowd! My speech was well-written and i was happy with it but my presentation probably sicked...i don't even know to this day!I do have confidence to give out speeches in the future.