xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Acer laptop screen not coming up Acer Laptop

Acer laptop screen not coming upAcer Laptop

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5100 laptop

I have an Aspire 5100 laptop. Suddenly the screen stopped working.  The computer starts up as I can hear the sound of its processor but nothing comes up on the screen.  Please advise if there is any easy fix. 

Well there are two things that could be causing the problem either the graphics card or the the screen itself and so the only way you know if you call Acer Tech support and tell them to send someone over to replace the graphics card or the screen. I would recommend that you say that your graphics card will be busted since they most likely will bring a new screen with them when the tech person comes over and fixes your computer.

The usual problem here is the solder points on the monitor plug normaly located under panel at the rear of the keyboard i.e. the panel where your buttons are normally found between the base of the screen and keyboard. This panel is separate from the rest of the and the favorite place being in front of the right hand hinge. It is problem which normally results from leaving the unit in standby or hibernate mode withe lid closed.To keep the things thin they normally make the plug in two sections which results in ultra fine solder joints and the heat generated in standby with the lid closed will weaken the joints until ultimatly one or two give way to a microscopic gap thus no screen display.To correct this, open the screen fully i.e. laid back against the table. Remove the back plate as described above and locate the plug. CAREFULLY remove it. Place some thick card over the screen - the flap from a corrugated box will do just fine - this protect the screen. Place a bulldog clip of appropriate size to hold the top and bottom sections of the plug together and with an extremely fine and low wattage soldering iron, carefully re-seat each joint in turn. As a note, Samsung P4 laptops were the worst offenders for this problem..

I have an Acer laptop myself, and I do have the same problem from time to time. If I close the lid (?) after turning it on and using it for a while, and then return later to use it again; the lights are there but the screen is black.

Well there are two things that could be causing the problem either the graphics card or the the screen itself and so the only way you know if you call Acer Tech support and tell them to send someone over to replace the graphics card or the screen. I would recommend that you say that your graphics card will be busted since they most likely will bring a new screen with them when the tech person comes over and fixes your computer.

I have to agree, sounds as that could be the problem or problems. Not knowing and hoping you have not dropped your LT or slammed your lid hard a lot. it could be the card, eather way be ready to pay a price sadly. Laptops now a days are built all in one, so if something goes bad your better off buying a new one. :P been there with a sony I used to have.

I don't think is a good idea to open the laptop yourself, it's better to call technical support and see if they can fix that, if the solution is too expensive or if they tell you there's no way they can fix that then open the computer yourself and try to fix it since you have nothing to lose, in the meantime you could use a external monitor to plug in your computer and at least be able to work with it...

Most if not all laptop graphics card are fixed onto the mother board? If that is the case and your graphics card is gone then a new laptop would be the more logical option to take. If your lucky and its just your LCD screen then maybe you can verify that it actually boots up by connecting an external monitor to your laptop if it supports that?

Edited by sonesay (see edit history)

Most if not all laptop graphics card are fixed onto the mother board? If that is the case and your graphics card is gone then a new laptop would be the more logical option to take. If your lucky and its just your LCD screen then maybe you can verify that it actually boots up by connecting an external monitor to your laptop if it supports that?

That is why I said

Laptops now a days are built all in one, so if something goes bad your better off buying a new one

now a days when your LT goes bad your well Beeped. sorry to say but its true

I don't think is a good idea to open the laptop yourself, it's better to call technical support and see if they can fix that, if the solution is too expensive or if they tell you there's no way they can fix that then open the computer yourself and try to fix it since you have nothing to lose, in the meantime you could use a external monitor to plug in your computer and at least be able to work with it...

I agree and this will also test and clear if your graphics card is working or not ... Try connecting an LCD/TFT /CRT Monitor

btw.. I think your graphic card is working and its just the screen connectors , since if otherwise, Most of the Motherboards have an on-board graphics card and when they get burned they don't turn on and start beeping to indicate it.

my acer aspire 5515 has a similar problem but not as bad.

it flickers all the time, except when I am playing a video game, or when I press the start key on my keyboard. Basically if its processing something, its fine but if its doing nothing, it flickers. This is why I am sure that mine is a problem with the graphics card. Does anyone think its just the drivers???? if so can you give me detailed instructions on how to get new drivers?

btw, its an ati radeon x1200 graphics chip that is attached to the mother board. Is there also a way to just get a new card, chip whatever?

-reply by Francis Rocanella

Acer laptop screen is not comming upAcer laptop screen not coming up

I had the same problem with my HP DV6599. On power on the screen wouldStay black, no POST, nothing at all on the display. The HDD would spinUp but the HDD indicator would not come on and would not boot. The DVDDrive would spin up and attempt to read a disc if one was in the trayBut still would not boot. I found an answer on another forum. UnplugThe power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to60 seconds. Then reattach the power and attempt a boot. It worked forMe! Just shutdown, put the battery back in you're good to go. WorkedFor me so definitely worth a try.

-reply by Ritesh

Acer 5050 laptop will not bootAcer laptop screen not coming up

I have an Acer 5050. It will not boot. It will show the windows xp welcome screen, the blue bar will scroll as normal...The screen goes black, the computer re-starts the cylce continues. This will go on until I shut off the computer. This problem started after an automatic update was installed and the computer was re-started. Any ideas?

-question by mike

if your latest computer update makes your computer  unstable, or if you want to undo any changes on your computer, you can revert the changes by  using system restore option on your computer.

once you power on your computer, press immediately f8 to start your system on safe mode, and once you are already on safe mode go to system restore by clicking start/ all programs/accessories/system restore. 

-reply by mojo

This is a known error in acer laptops, I forgot what the error was but my friend had the same problem, it seems there a defect in the monitors (or maybe graphics card?) I forget which one, but it's acer's fault it stopped working and they want to charge $500 for a repair (That's what they did to my friend) imo since it's their error they should fix it for free.. that's why I would never buy an acer laptop, not bashing acer, they have good desktop monitors. but their laptops have defects and they have poor CS

I had the same problem Acer Aspire 5738 screen not coming up. I connected to a monitor via VGA cable did not work. I connected to TV via HD cable still did not work. Then did what Ritesh did in his reply and horay laptop is working great. As soon as I took out the battery and power switched of the power button the laptop switched off. I put back the battery and switched on the power button and all great so thank you Ritesh. I would also like to mention that the laptop was running a Windows update, during this process the laptop run out of battery so was not able to complete this process. Therefore, it is a possibility in order to reboot the laptop must be fully powered to complete the process and restart

I hope this helps

Pav

Acer laptop screen is not comming upAcer laptop screen not coming up

I had the same problem with my HP DV6599. On power on the screen wouldStay black, no POST, nothing at all on the display. The HDD would spinUp but the HDD indicator would not come on and would not boot. The DVDDrive would spin up and attempt to read a disc if one was in the trayBut still would not boot. I found an answer on another forum. UnplugThe power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to60 seconds. Then reattach the power and attempt a boot. It worked forMe! Just shutdown, put the battery back in you're good to go. WorkedFor me so definitely worth a try.

-reply by Ritesh