xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Out Of Date Some topics way out of date

Okay I have been looking around more and more here and I am seeing a lot of topic started as far back as 2004. Don't you think it would be a good idea to move them to the arc?

Okay I have been looking around more and more here and I am seeing a lot of topic started as far back as 2004. Don't you think it would be a good idea to move them to the arc?

Dear friend obviously it is a good idea. I think you should give such a good suggestion to the ?admins. So that they would think about it seriously.?

I think that there already was a theme with something similar in the theme. :PI'll actually just repeat what I said overthere with a single sentence. No, I am against because of the search engine traffic Xisto gets and will get in the future from those 'dead' topics, and also new members can also find their favorite theme in them :PAlso, deleting them can make the post count of the older members smaller and possibly lower their myCENTs.

Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

I'll have to disagree since some of those topics are helpful when you try to find an answer to something, it doesn't matter when it's made, someone else may have the same problem that has been already solved here in these forums. I remember making same kind of topic as this but I changed my mind after I got some replies. Alson some topics have been going on since 2004 to 2008 and some topics have been "awaken to life" when people start replying those again. Members might also lose mycents that they've earned by replying to old topics. It doesn't matter actually how old the topic is since you can earn mycents by replying to them. If you notice these dead topics, just tell to some administrator and they'll close it, not delete. As I also mentioned, some of them might be helpful, hope I changed your mind.umm, It's also nice to read old topics just for killing time hehehe.

I have been wondering about it also. Some of the topics are useful but some are not. I think it would be nice to move them to a section just to archive them and close them if the topic does not need to be discussed anymore.

If you were to rid the forum of outdated topics, the best way to do so is just have an old topics forum (commonly called a recycle bin). That way they are still there, and indexed by search engines, and can still be seen by people who want the information. But then the info is out of place. I think it is fine that they are there, personally, as they generally are helpful. There is no real reason to get rid of them, except to free of DB space, but that isn't incredibly important when you have a successful forum.

Depending on what the topics are about, I will have to agree and disagree.Some of the topics that have come up are age-old discussions, like the console wars, the browser wars, and the OS wars... which I think should stay for the sake of discussion and being able to read the more valuable input others have to contribute about their side of the argument. Then there are the "spam" threads, as I remember galexcd calling them, that basically ask a simple question like "What's your favorite game?" (I'm guilty of posting in some of them.) As it provokes some discussion, in that aspect they're fine, but at the same time, I don't feel that it contributes much unless you look at the social aspect of things (if people even read the pages and pages of one-liners and short replies to respond to certain people). And of course, there are the problem threads... which are great when you have the problem solved (which makes it rather informative for anyone else experiencing the problem), but they become an eyesore when someone posts something irrevalent or whatever to a problem originally posted a few years ago. (Unless it's more helpful input ABOUT the problem that other members can utilize, I think that topics like those should have the ability to be closed and archived.)I just get the feeling that a lot of new members initially try to post in older topics because they come up on the Similar Topics section, and they don't note how old the threads are before they reply. And then there are those that flood old topics with one-liners, which could be a bit annoying, personally-speaking. :P

Yea but come on guys and gals, I have seen with my own eyes people that have posted a reply to some just in the last day or so going back 3 or 4 yrs. I feel moving them off the board or even closing them to posying would be helpful. Just me though.

Somebody might be able to contribute something useful to the topic. Even if the topics are old, they might not cover every aspect. And somebody might be interested in that topic, too. Expressing opinions and sharing facts is the point of a forum.

Some people are also drudging up old topics that don't need to be brought back just to get a post count. Topics such is those where people ask a question, and the question is resolved, should at least be closed. If you can't delete them, don't want to move them, close them so people aren't posting spam or useless posts to up their count. It's not fair to the rest of us who really want to contribute to this forum.

Yep, I was looking for the new post and there was one about pregnancy symptoms, that was even solved a long time ago and the person didn't closed it. I mean it is absurd to post about something that doesn't make sense anymore. I think moderators should pay more attention to that and close topics that are already solved.

Edited by Parubilla (see edit history)

Yep, I was looking for the new post and there was one about pregnancy symptoms, that was even solved a long time ago and the person didn't closed it. I mean it is absurd to post about something that doesn't make sense anymore. I think moderators should pay more attention to that and close topics that are already solved.

Yes, I admit I posted on that one. Completely baffled by how someone could bring up such old news. Especially when the posters last post said that she got her answer. The one who brought it up more then likely hadn't read the posts in the topic when he posted. I think if he had he would have realized it was pointless to bring it up. That is why i think it was brought up to raise post counts. There was nothing contributed there, just old news. *shrug*