xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sakmac

Why Did You Go To Linux? tell me why

I first tried Linux a few years ago, not because I was completely against Windows or anything like that, but just because I had some free time on my hands. I started off with Mandrake 9.0 which was very user friendly and Windows-like. After reading through a bunch of message boards and learning which distros are good for what, I soon realized my current distro was great for Linux noobs. So then I decided to try something a little more advanced like Slackware which I knew had a steep learning curve.
Since then I've been using Slackware as my main OS and couldn't be happier. Of course somethings are a pain in the *bottom* to configure, but that;s Slack for you. If it ain't hard, then you won't learn anything from it.

Also I switched to linux because I am very good with windows, pretty decent at mac, and decided to go to the next step and build a linux box.... Well I blew that box up pretty bad haha. I played around with a bunch of things and ended up screwing up the install and just put xp back on the box. I recently switched back though because my only real use for windows is for games, and I dont play games often so I decided to go back since I know xp is very slow and linux has always been faster.

That's my story, I basically started to learn Linux because I was bored.

Notice from truefusion:
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/90175-what-made-you-switch-to-linux/
Doesn't seem to be your story. Keeping topic alive due to the amount of users that have already posted.

For me to switch to Linux, or at least to try it, it was because I wanted to learn how web hosts work.Aside from that, I really have no use for the system right now. I mean it would be nice to experience something new, and open source, but at the same time I'm a very hardcore gamer, and sadly Linux doesn't support the games that I play.I think most people switch because Linux has more control than Windows. Not to mention as far as I know Linux is much more secure.

I find Linux to be very stable than Windows and it does not have any bugs that i've encountered.Puls its open source...which is something that i support very much. Windows xp and Vista killed my support for Microsft and my brother then introduced me to Linux.Right now im using Vista but Linux rocks! When i get me pc back..im going to ditch microsoft for llfe!

I am still not completely converted to Linux, but the reason I started trying it was because of the little number of viruses that it could contract. On Vista, I have had several viruses which I have removed, but the point I am making is that it was hard to remove them, on my Linux (UBUNTU/Marndrake Latest Version), I have never had a virus. Another thing that helped me make the decision was that my ISP does not count downloads towards any Linux distribution, so I have downloaded quite a few of them.Windows Vista is also quite buggy, nothing you can't work with but it is sort of annoying when my Bluetooth® stuffs up my sound, now when I am on Ubuntu I do not experience these problems. So now I use Ubuntu quite regularly:)

For me to switch to Linux, or at least to try it, it was because I wanted to learn how web hosts work.
Aside from that, I really have no use for the system right now. I mean it would be nice to experience something new, and open source, but at the same time I'm a very hardcore gamer, and sadly Linux doesn't support the games that I play.

I think most people switch because Linux has more control than Windows. Not to mention as far as I know Linux is much more secure.

Linux is much more secure as of now, but don't you think that that could possibly be becuase of the slow uptake of linux, and also just becuase most of the viruses that are made for windows. As a purely precautionary manner I still decide to install an antivirus scanner. But on the whole it is pretty much a secure and stable system.

In fact, I read in a magazine that you could actually use a linux system to run a virtual installation of windows, and on that test windows viruses. Now I was thinking that the fact that you have the courage to do that must mean that you trust the system pretty well. Do any of you know and dual or triple threat viruses that can attack both linux systems and windows or even the apple mac.

Anyone can help me with Linux ?Why Did You Go To Linux?

Hello its me from Nepal

I was running windows XP now. Now I am running Windows Vista Home edition.

But I think Linux Is best for us because of open source matter.

So I want to learn Linux Online for free as well as which Linux version is best for me ?

I want to know what are the System Reqirements for Linux ?

If you give me tutorials I will be happy . 

-question by Deepak