xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nhinz

Bruce Almighty(think Of It)

A guy who complains about God too often is given almighty powers to teach him how difficult it is to run the world....Funny movie... If you have given a superpower in a week, what would you do? Can you post your opinion here?...

I was watching that movie recently...I have no idea what I would do, I think i would sit there for a day or two thinking "if I screw up, ill ruin humanity" after that id probly enrich my life, then move onto helping random people, and trying make the world a better place.Of course in the movie, he cant change free will, so it would be hard to do things like stop wars....

It was not only a funny movie but very insightful. The way that God said he could not change free will is actually a true reflection of this theological question.Humankind has been given this free will that allows us to choose the Creator or not. What a dilemma for an all powerful being to give us this choice which would mean we can choose to ignore that being.I think it actually showed the heart of God in wanting to help us avoid pain but limiting Himself so that we could choose the painful way instead of Him, and how this must hurt God to see us choose poorly.Like a parent that looks at a child and sees them making the wrong choice but letting them do it anyway because if they forced the issue they would lose relationship with the child.It is a very hard thing to think about because you could make a bad choice and screw up humanity for good! I think i would concentrate on showing humanity what they were capable of at their best.So you take an individual and show them what their life could be like if they lived to their fullest potential.In this way if enough people could see what is possible if the best virtues, values, talents and gifts are used in each individual then what a powerful vision of what societies we could have!Thats what I would try and do. I do it now just on a much smaller scale :)KJ

I liked Bruce almighty very much. Its a funny movie + it has the some serious issues if you come to think of it!If you are made God what would you do? Would you think about yourself or help the world? I think i'd help the world as when i'm God definitely i can get whatever I want lol!But come to think of it life will lose meaning anyway. I think the beauty of life is sometimes in the struggles and hardships we all have to face and satisfaction we get after we conquer!Jim Carey is one of my fav actors! They chose the right guys for that role...Overally i'd give the movie 8/10!

Watched it today, great film that. I love Jim Carrey in general, and it's pretty damned awesome. I've also got Evan Almighty to watch, but that's for another thread...

Anyway, given that the power and situation were similar to Bruce's, I'd likely do somewhat similar to him, although I'll admit that the girl in my life is (hopefully) not going to leave me (:)). After watching the film, though, you do have to think what man would do with nigh-on infinite power. In the grand scheme of things, our lives are basically insignificant. We're born, we live, we have children, we die. Few people leave that much of a mark that the world would have been that much different without them. Being able to do nigh-on anything at will would be daunting to most, and I know I wouldn't be an exception to that. I suppose it all comes down to whether the power comes the responsibility that Bruce is given.

Do we need to take the place of God, or are we merely given powers similar to those portrayed in the film? If the latter, naturally you wouldn't have the hassle of answering prayers, and while I like to think I'd use it for the greater good (perhaps, for instance, informing the authorities of my ability, and therefore asking how I could best help mankind. Naturally there'd be a lot of people who would have conflicting ideas, but as a general overview of problems that I would try to create solutions to:

The energy crisis - I'd create a generator that ran without fuel and produced almost limitless torque. This generator could be hooked to any number of gearing systems, each of which would turn at whatever rate is desired, effectively creating a source of infinite energy if you could build around it. I'd probably create a dispenser of these torque machines, too, for when my power ran out and I was back to my normal self.

Global warming - To complement the generator, I'd create a similar pair of devices (one which produced the other), this time being able to suck in or absorb gases (such as greenhouse gases) at a controllable rate.

World hunger - never-ending food dispenser, anyone? Same idea with the "never-ending food-dispenser dispenser..."

Overall, I think the important thing is to create a means of ensuring that anything you do during the week doesn't go to waste. Clearly there'd be 101 strict regulations on the usage of the above machines, but I'd leave that for the governments to deal with. Naturally I'd give it to the UK, of course, simply because I can. :)

Aside from that, I'd probably try to come up with a cure for cancer, AIDS, and various other diseases and so on, just because I can...

That sort of thing would certainly leave its mark, although I expect what with limitless food and no disease we'd soon have a few world population problems on our hands...ah well. Oh, and did I mention I'd go take a look at Mars (in some sort of space craft, naturally...can't have the equivalent of God dying, can we?) and come back to tell NASA if they were right or wrong all along?

How about you folks?

It was an ok film, had it's funny moments and some underlying serious issues but it wasn't one of my favorites. It was interesting how they explored the concept of being 'god' and how they depicted that even if you made certain choices (e.g. say YES to every single request), there would be severe consequenes and running everything isn't as simple as it sounds. I don't know what I would do if I was in Jim Carey's position... it's quite a big responsibility to have and I personally don't think I'm informed well enough to make good decisions, unless they're for personal gain of course. But that would defeat the purpose :)

Wow this movie is pretty old now. Anyway, I thought it was an okay movie. I normally do like Jim Carey, but as of late it seems like all of his movie roles are quite basically the same. I'm hoping is able to maybe change the way he portrays his charcters in the movie, because they seem all the same.Jim Carey is in this movie, isn't he lol.

^ Yes, it is Jim Carey. I have seen it, thought it was kind of silly to be honest. If I had superpowers for a day, week, month, year or something like that I would fly. Or I wish I had the ability to breath under water. If there were someone out there with superpowers I would be scared. People with amazing powers would probably end up using their powers in a bad way - just my opinion. Can not really remember a lot from this movie as it is quite old now.Silly, slightly funny and a little bit weird. Allows you to think a little bit about issues such as "What if there is someone in the world like this today." I kind of hope not... unless their powers are used in a good way. God sure has a lot of work to do.

A guy who complains about God too often is given almighty powers to teach him how difficult it is to run the world....Funny movie... If you have given a superpower in a week, what would you do?
Can you post your opinion here?...

I would probably.. marry the girl of my dreams! And become a pilot w/out the expenses.. idk ;p