xisto Community
Ruben

Flight Simulator Forums Need Help For A Domain

Everyone,

I need help getting my first TLD name. It will be a .com obviously. I will be getting it from my mycents. Ok, now that that was explained...

It is a forum about Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I was thinking fstalkzone.com FS = Flight simulator

What do you think? All suggestions welcome..

Site: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I'm curious...you have a site URL listed already that doesn't seem to actually work or link to anything...I'm guessing it's where you're going to list suggestions or something, or where you already have your site up? (I know you can get free .co.cc domains, so good on you so far!)Anyway, you're certainly best off with a .com TLD, and at $9.99 for a year's worth of domain registration it's certainly not a bad move, especially considering it's effectively free. :)I'm curious why you chose fstalkzone.com as an idea, as as far as I can tell both fsxtalk.com and fsxzone.com are both available (haven't bothered with a WHOIS, just checked in my browser). Interestingly, fszone.com is similar to the idea you had, and is a forum about Flight Similator X, so it might not be a bad idea to nab fsxzone.com and therefore semi-associate yourself with them (i.e. the occasional mistype might land you some more traffic).I'm not at all an expert when it comes to TLDs, but I gather that it wouldn't be any sort of trademark nicking (or whatever they call it these days...).Good luck with it, I remember when I got my first TLD. I was so proud...*sniff*...:)

I'm curious...you have a site URL listed already that doesn't seem to actually work or link to anything...I'm guessing it's where you're going to list suggestions or something, or where you already have your site up? (I know you can get free .co.cc domains, so good on you so far!)
Anyway, you're certainly best off with a .com TLD, and at $9.99 for a year's worth of domain registration it's certainly not a bad move, especially considering it's effectively free. :)

I'm curious why you chose fstalkzone.com as an idea, as as far as I can tell both fsxtalk.com and fsxzone.com are both available (haven't bothered with a WHOIS, just checked in my browser). Interestingly, fszone.com is similar to the idea you had, and is a forum about Flight Similator X, so it might not be a bad idea to nab fsxzone.com and therefore semi-associate yourself with them (i.e. the occasional mistype might land you some more traffic).

I'm not at all an expert when it comes to TLDs, but I gather that it wouldn't be any sort of trademark nicking (or whatever they call it these days...).

Good luck with it, I remember when I got my first TLD. I was so proud...*sniff*...:)

lol, I appreciate your advise. What do you mean...

I'm curious...you have a site URL listed already that doesn't seem to actually work or link to anything...I'm guessing it's where you're going to list suggestions or something, or where you already have your site up? (I know you can get free .co.cc domains, so good on you so far!)

I have no clue what you mean by that, but again thanks!
Edited by jlhaslip
add quote tags - jlhaslip (see edit history)

lol, I appreciate your advise. What do you mean... *snip*
I have no clue what you mean by that, but again thanks!

The site fsxforum.co.cc didn't work or link to your site when I tried yesterday. Clearly it's working fine now, so meh...anyway, thoughts on the TLDs I suggested?

fsxzone.com is apparently taken (WHOIS), but not really used (no actual site on it).
fsxtalk.com is still available, so it might not be a bad idea.
fstalkforum.com is also still available, but looking at it like this makes it look like (f)stalk forum, which is a bit odd. :)

These are just some TLD options out there, but I genuinely suggest that you try to keep it as simple as possible. A decent domain name costs just as much as a rubbish one if you're the first person to register it, so it's worth thinking about.

Note that although the links are from whois.net and they allow domain registration, you're just as able to register elsewhere. I used the whois function to see if anyone had registered the domains yet.

Your suggestions are amazing, and I appreciate you helping. I just can't have an "X" in the name. It is a forum for flight simulator X, but when a newer version comes out, well... I'll have to do this all over again. fstalkforum?? What do you think? fstalkzone?? Anything would be great, I almost have enough mycents. :)

Your suggestions are amazing, and I appreciate you helping. I just can't have an "X" in the name. It is a forum for flight simulator X, but when a newer version comes out, well... I'll have to do this all over again.

fstalkforum?? What do you think? fstalkzone?? Anything would be great, I almost have enough mycents. wink.gif

No worries, I've no problem pondering up things for people. :)

I know next to nothing about the game itself, so how likely is it that a new version is going to a come out sometime in the near future? Before you get bored of running the forum, I mean. :D

Options as I see it are fewer and farther between, but by no means few and far between, if you want it without the specific version...ignoring the idea of making the name good on search engines and whatnot (as I have no idea how to do that...) some suggestions for you are below (with WHOIS links for each for you to check if they're still available, and capitalisation so you can see what I'm getting at):

Short(-ish)

MSFSZone.com (MicroSoft Flight Simulator Zone, it is a Microsoft program, right?)

FS-Talk.com (TAKEN, but the first of my attempts with a hyphen...tried hyphenated ones yet?)

FS-Zone.com (TAKEN as well, but I'm not giving up yet!)

FS-Forum.com (TAKEN too...drat!)

FS-Forums.com (TAKEN yet again...maybe something a little more obscure, but still pretty short?)

FS-TalkZone.com (Available, hurray! Alright, time for a couple more before moving on...)

TalkFS.com (Switches the order of the words around, but ah well. Maybe you like it more?)

ZoneFS.com (Still free, as well...although I don't particularly personally like it)

Talk-FS.com (Free, so it's down to personal preference, I suppose...)

Descriptive

Longer and more of a pain to type, but they're less generic and are pretty clear as to what they are from the URL alone.

FlightSimulatorZone.com (I'm actually surprised this one's still available. Not a bad little domain name right there...)

FlightSimulatorForums.com (TAKEN, but an idea, perhaps?)

FlightSimulatorForum.com (TAKEN too...)

FlightSimulatorTalk.com (Another pretty reasonable find...)

Non Dot-Com TLDs

Basically I went through a few TLDs that were already taken in the list above and checked out .net and .org versions of each. Clearly .com is preferred, but as it's sometimes worth getting a nice sounding TLD in favour of the .com status, there's some options here for you. Of the two, I think .net would probably be better sounding, but the choice is yours.

FS-Talk.net (Not bad, by any means...)

FS-Talk.org (For a forum, I think .net sounds better, but meh...)

FlightSimulatorForum.net (Not bad?)

Whew! That'll do me for now. There should be one or two you like there, or at least a few ideas to spark your own imagination. Personally I'd steer away from anything with "forum(s)" in the name, and have a subdomain used for the forum (which is where you can install any forum software you'll be using), like forums.zonefs.com. It gives you the chance to use the same TLD for any other little projects you have in mind, and even if you don't have anything else planned you can redirect straight from the TLD to the subdomain. :)

Just a quick point: although I capitalised the first letter of every word in the suggested TLDs, domain names are case-insensitive (e.g. Xisto.com; Xisto.com; Xisto.com; Xisto.com; Xisto.com (and any other variation you care to come up with) all link to the same place).

Hope this helps!

No worries, I've no problem pondering up things for people. :)

I know next to nothing about the game itself, so how likely is it that a new version is going to a come out sometime in the near future? Before you get bored of running the forum, I mean. :D

Options as I see it are fewer and farther between, but by no means few and far between, if you want it without the specific version...ignoring the idea of making the name good on search engines and whatnot (as I have no idea how to do that...) some suggestions for you are below (with WHOIS links for each for you to check if they're still available, and capitalisation so you can see what I'm getting at):

Short(-ish)

MSFSZone.com (MicroSoft Flight Simulator Zone, it is a Microsoft program, right?)

FS-Talk.com (TAKEN, but the first of my attempts with a hyphen...tried hyphenated ones yet?)

FS-Zone.com (TAKEN as well, but I'm not giving up yet!)

FS-Forum.com (TAKEN too...drat!)

FS-Forums.com (TAKEN yet again...maybe something a little more obscure, but still pretty short?)

FS-TalkZone.com (Available, hurray! Alright, time for a couple more before moving on...)

TalkFS.com (Switches the order of the words around, but ah well. Maybe you like it more?)

ZoneFS.com (Still free, as well...although I don't particularly personally like it)

Talk-FS.com (Free, so it's down to personal preference, I suppose...)

Descriptive

Longer and more of a pain to type, but they're less generic and are pretty clear as to what they are from the URL alone.

FlightSimulatorZone.com (I'm actually surprised this one's still available. Not a bad little domain name right there...)

FlightSimulatorForums.com (TAKEN, but an idea, perhaps?)

FlightSimulatorForum.com (TAKEN too...)

FlightSimulatorTalk.com (Another pretty reasonable find...)

Non Dot-Com TLDs

Basically I went through a few TLDs that were already taken in the list above and checked out .net and .org versions of each. Clearly .com is preferred, but as it's sometimes worth getting a nice sounding TLD in favour of the .com status, there's some options here for you. Of the two, I think .net would probably be better sounding, but the choice is yours.

FS-Talk.net (Not bad, by any means...)

FS-Talk.org (For a forum, I think .net sounds better, but meh...)

FlightSimulatorForum.net (Not bad?)

Whew! That'll do me for now. There should be one or two you like there, or at least a few ideas to spark your own imagination. Personally I'd steer away from anything with "forum(s)" in the name, and have a subdomain used for the forum (which is where you can install any forum software you'll be using), like forums.zonefs.com. It gives you the chance to use the same TLD for any other little projects you have in mind, and even if you don't have anything else planned you can redirect straight from the TLD to the subdomain. :D

Just a quick point: although I capitalised the first letter of every word in the suggested TLDs, domain names are case-insensitive (e.g. Xisto.com; Xisto.com; Xisto.com; Xisto.com; Xisto.com (and any other variation you care to come up with) all link to the same place).

Hope this helps!

First of all, I want to thank you. Really, I don't think text is enough. I can't donate mycents, so... Tell me, anything you need, I'll do it. lol :P I'm serious, as long as I don't get into legal trouble, I'll do it.

The ones that stood out to be were: fs-talkzone.com (that way people won't think if they join we will stalk them.)

and one that sparked my imagination: fs-community.com or fscommunity.com

What do you think, you seem to be quite the expert!

Oh, and to answer your question.

It is very likely. Mycents take some time to add up, so I want to have this for a while.

I think this forum will have potential. I have two competators :) , so I need a good name.

There is one that cost money, and the other is over crowded.

If there was a business for thinking of domains, you my friend, would be the leader! Thanks again!

Until further noice we will be using fschat.com. We are a pecting to get it by Friday. Before it is final,anyone else think it should be different? Keep I'm mind I could turnnout as fs-talksone.com or fscommunity.com or even fs-community.com.Sorry for spelling,i am using a phone.

Until further noice we will be using fschat.com. We are a pecting to get it by Friday. Before it is final,anyone else think it should be different?

I think it should be an address that is actually available:

CONSOLE

rob@rob-laptop:~$ whois fschat.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain Name: FSCHAT.COM
Registrar: NAMEVIEW, INC.
Whois Server: whois.nameview.com
Referral URL: http://www.nameview.com/
Name Server: NS1.HITFARM.COM
Name Server: NS2.HITFARM.COM
Updated Date: 23-apr-2008
Creation Date: 09-dec-2001
Expiration Date: 09-dec-2008

Domain: FSCHAT.COM

Created: 2001-12-09
Updated: 2008-04-23
Expires: 2008-12-09

Registrant
FSCHAT.COM
c/o Whois IDentity Shield
142-757 W. Hastings St., Suite #777
Vancouver, BC
Canada V6C 1A1

Administrative Contact
FSCHAT.COM
Vancouver, BC
Canada V6C 1A1
E-mail: EN31GDHRVQxkJY6pty93Uuwdez7j6vQew78TlpZ15qiPasB/Cg==@2008.identityshield.com
Phone: +1 (604) 484-4206

Technical Contact
FSCHAT.COM
Vancouver, BC
Canada V6C 1A1
E-mail: ZI3lvnSjNRELLFdXJ888+KRIC50uxhvhOQn/Gzf99GmqwOak@2008.identityshield.com

Name servers for this domain:

NS1.HITFARM.COM 72.51.27.54
NS2.HITFARM.COM 208.87.33.160

They're using a privacy service, so technically they don't actually own the domain, the privacy service does. It has also been registered for many years, but is up for renewal soon. If they don't renew it, you could grab it then.

I think it should be an address that is actually available:

CONSOLE

rob@rob-laptop:~$ whois fschat.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain Name: FSCHAT.COM
Registrar: NAMEVIEW, INC.
Whois Server: whois.nameview.com
Referral URL: http://www.nameview.com/
Name Server: NS1.HITFARM.COM
Name Server: NS2.HITFARM.COM
Updated Date: 23-apr-2008
Creation Date: 09-dec-2001
Expiration Date: 09-dec-2008

Domain: FSCHAT.COM

Created: 2001-12-09
Updated: 2008-04-23
Expires: 2008-12-09

Registrant
FSCHAT.COM
Vancouver, BC
Canada V6C 1A1

Administrative Contact
FSCHAT.COM
Vancouver, BC
Canada V6C 1A1
E-mail: EN31GDHRVQxkJY6pty93Uuwdez7j6vQew78TlpZ15qiPasB/Cg==@2008.identityshield.com

Technical Contact
FSCHAT.COM
Vancouver, BC
Canada V6C 1A1
E-mail: ZI3lvnSjNRELLFdXJ888+KRIC50uxhvhOQn/Gzf99GmqwOak@2008.identityshield.com

Name servers for this domain:

NS1.HITFARM.COM 72.51.27.54
NS2.HITFARM.COM 208.87.33.160

They're using a privacy service, so technically they don't actually own the domain, the privacy service does. It has also been registered for many years, but is up for renewal soon. If they don't renew it, you could grab it then.

Wow, thanks man! I can't believe I didn't even see that, even now, it still thinks it is available for me. :) Again thanks, I'll wait for the time being.

Right now we are looking again at: fs-talkzone.com. I think it would be great to have a dash in the name. Does it confuse anyone, really?? It would be nice if I could know by a few days. I really appreciate everyones help!

A dash confuses people if they ever have to say your domain name to someone else. For example, they can't say "F S Talk Zone", but they have to say "F S Dash Talk Zone" instead, which just makes it longer and harder to say and remember. A slightly longer name, but without a hyphen (something like flightsimchat.com) could work better.

Ok, I appreciate, but here is what is happening. We have fs-talkzone.com, and fstalkzone.com that redirects to fs-talkzone.com. That way when they read the address they don't think we are stalking them. Right now someone has the domain we want, the got it instead of us, hosting mistake. Right now they won't give it back, but we'll take legal action and make sure it goes to us, the rightful owner.