xisto Community
Evolke

Nintendo Wii And Computer Screen...? Can it be done?

I was thinking of purchasing a Nintendo Wii for my room, and I was wondering if it could be linked up to my computers screen rather than a TV Screen. It would make it easire if it could be otherwise I will have t purchase a TV screen aswell, because I wsa to have it in my room rather than in the lounge room. The computer screen is aa Auriga, Model 15MA-1 if thats any help.So.. can it be done...?Thanks in advance!

The Wii only has composite, component and SCART output. So, your monitor would need one of those as an input. Alternatively, you could get some kind of converter to convert one of those to something your monitor will take as an input.

The Wii only has composite, component and SCART output. So, your monitor would need one of those as an input. Alternatively, you could get some kind of converter to convert one of those to something your monitor will take as an input.

Okay thanks for that. I'm not very good with plugs and plugging things in. :)
Ill research what my screen has to see if it will work :)

Nintendo's official response to using the Wii with a PC monitor is to use a video capture card in the PC to pick up the Wii's video feed, and pass it to the monitor. The only problem is that the card tends to introduce a delay in the video, which makes games pretty much unplayable :) I also can't find any sort of suitable adapter, so it looks like (unless your monitor has one of those inputs) you'll need to get a TV, but make sure to research it first! A TV is a big expense compared to an adapter that might be able to do the job.

I was curious to this as well. I don't currently own a monitor or a card that supports that kind of input. Would you not be able to use a TV tuner and an RF modulator (as in regular cable going from modulator to computer) and the AV cable from the wii attached to the RF modulator to do this?

There are plenty of tools for this. As rvalkass said, you can get a pc tuner card. However, not all of them incorporate delay. That's largely dependent on whether or not the card does its own processing and how you utilize it in terms of display. Plenty of software for tuners allow you to utilize a direct-pass method that disables the filters that incorporate delay, reducing the lag to a negligible status.One such program is Dscaler -- if you get a card, google it. It's recommended. I use it myself for my tv tuner, which is a Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert. (Not all that fancy really, just one of the best for the price range a few years back). For HD support, I have an external KWorld TVBox 1680ex -- I bought it around a year and a half ago. I don't know if they still make that model, but it supports numerous inputs and has HD-compatibility and output.Such as with my KWorld tuner, there are plenty of external boxes as well that allow you to hook up a console directly to a monitor. However, you want to know ahead of time that these often require the dedication of a monitor's connection ports, meaning that you won't be able to use your monitor for other things unless you hook it back up to your computer or whatever. Plenty of boxes have pass-throughs, but these are not always of high quality and may weaken or mess up the signal somewhat, resulting in a poor display. Also, not even box supports HD, so you may want to get one that does in order to be prepared for the future.Generally speaking, if you want to play a console with your monitor, what you want to look for is either a video tuner card or an external TV tuner. Newegg has a great selection, just look under Video Cards & Video Devices and then the TV tuner category. You'll want to research this first, as it requires some understanding of what you're getting before you take the plunge with your money. Know the ports, know what can and can't be done, know if there is significant delay or not... Fortunately, some manufacturers have realized the market for people who just want to play games on their high-quality monitors, and make it simple with external tuners that simply covert signals for gaming. They advertise them as such too, and it isn't too hard to find them with just moderate searching.If I may make a recommendation, Leadtek is still making the card I have today. It's slightly upgraded, but still not HD, so you may want to look elsewhere. It gets the job done, though. Good luck!

I believe you can get a component or composite to VGA converter. The only downside to this is it will cost anywhere from $100-300 for the necessary box. I would really just suggest getting a decent TV to play it on. Monitors aren't optimized for console gaming. Though they are high quality, only the higher end ones are good for graphical gaming.

Kind of an old thread, but I'll reply anyway. One such converter is the XCM "mega cool" vga box. Dumb name I know, but it works like magic. It takes component input and converts to vga, along with scaling and deinterlacing if required.  I use it for my ps2 and have used it for a wii, and it looks great.

Thanks!Nintendo Wii And Computer Screen...?

You just save my day!  It works perfectly with DScaler!

Thank you very much, I was a sad person before your post, I played more than 2 hours with my wife thanks to you!

:o)