xisto Community
ahmed1412

Linux Ubuntu Vs Windows Vista Discussion on which OS is better, Vista or Ubuntu.

What about running a virtual machine? LIke VMWare? Would that not solve your Linux gaming problem? And I agree, MUCH more should be written for Linux.

My issue is that if I'm going to use an OS, I want it to just be one...

I could VMWare Linux as well(and have) in order to use that as a primary OS.

I would just rather have one OS that I use for literally everything. I would be able to deck it out, customize it, etc.

I've done that work before with Windows, and am too lazy to do it again.

But as for VMWare - if I were doing that I might as well dual boot.

Yea, I see where your coming from, That's why I dual boot too. BT2 is my main, and Xp for recording purposes. But if I ever find a good equivelent to those programs...BAM!!! *kicks windows out the window*

Well I have experience with many operating systems and I will offer my views on both:

Windows Vista: I personally love this operating system and I have never had a problem with it. The main problem with Vista is the annoying program compatibility messages that they ask you. Another small issue is the over use of warning messages, I know they are good for security, but it annoys me when all I want to do is put a file into my testing server and I have to agree to an "Elevated Action". What I like about VIsta is the new interface. I know that it is easy to install on Ubuntu, but I really like the functionality of Vista's interface. One issue I have with the interface is the semi-transparent sidebar, it pops up when you accidentally click the icon in the time bar (or whatever it is called). What I know is that Vista is not as bad as people make it out to be. The main issue that affects me when ever I have 5 Adobe CS3 programs open, is that everything slows down. I know that in Windows XP I can open up 7-8 Adobe CS3 programs at once before it starts to slow down. Otherwise I really enjoy the experience with this hardware heavy operating system.

Ubuntu 8.1: This is definitely my favourite Linux distribution and the easiest one to use. Not only does this operating system go VERY fast, it also can run Windows programs through the Windows Emulator WineHQ, I can run Illustrator and all my other favourite programs through Linux and have absolutely no need for Windows. Other than all the lovely things about Ubuntu, I have problems with the installation of files, I am really sick of Compiling, Installing and then Adding the Program. Another issue is the difficulty of the interface that I can sometimes find VERY annoying to use. The Menu Bar at the top of each page is annoying to use and it would be nicer to have a similar menu bar to that of the Windows bar. Other than the fact of the installation and interface, I love Ubuntu because it is VERY easy to use and I have never had a single issue with it, the program is secure and very virus safe.

So out of either of those I would definitely say that neither of them win. This "war of the operating system's" is pointless because each operating system is completely different and each one does something unique. I would say that it is noce to have Windows for the worldwide compatibility, but it is also nice to have Ubuntu because it is so interesting to use.

Edited by triplebtalk (see edit history)

I'll go for vista ultimate as you have a variety of software available for it and i usually use a lot of software for different purpose....Where as ubuntu is not that good at running all the softwares and i tooo likes to play games but linux doesn't support many of them ......For speed the credit really goes to ubuntu but for ease of use and variety of use VIsta takes the lead

I have installed Ubuntu quite a few times, looks soothe too, but easiness and expandability of operations makes me come back to Windows.

And the frequent crashing, compatibility issues, terrible/non-customizable UI, poor design, viruses, slow boot times, and the constant presence of microsoft should make you come right back around to linux.

hey vista is cool for its of msbut its not as secure as ubuntu.Ubuntu is very much secure............but not as open as vista for newbiesso first try to understand the function of ubuntu and then i thnk its the best os 4 uand the internet connection in ubuntu is also vey fastfor further assistence contact me....rite2alok@gmail.comortestingpirakx@gmail.com

Well as for security ...I don't really know much about Vista. Except I don't like it. It doesn't seem like there is much difference between it an xp besides navigating it. I also suppose that any computer that is always being run from the root/ administrator account is not secure. That is my understanding of why linux is secure and relatively virus safe. You are not root so you don't have the privilige of installing virii , but I am a n00b and my view is probably over simplified. I have had lots of trouble with vista ( at least as much trouble as having to learn linux)Vista costs a butt load of money, has problems with apps, and is all about drm.linux. not quite as much native hardware support, you need to read more...well more than vs. xp , but vista has lots o' problems too so maybe you have to read as much as you do in linux for vista.vista: pretty and getting more stable ..newest service pack frees up a lot of resources.Linux: hands down has the best eye-candy out there ( compiz-fusion)Open source so not only is it free but the source code is released so programmers worldwide are always fixing, tweaking, and updating it to make a better and better os.Well in conclusion as far as security goes although it may appear to the average person that windows is everwhere *nix servers run the world, and that can't be because Windows is more secure.

My sister got a laptop recently and her computer fell into disuse. So we decided to turn it into an entertainment PC.The previous install was a buggy version of windows XP, i'm not sure how it happened but it was refusing to read everything down to usb thumb drives from the OS. As a result I ended up putting Ubuntu on a USB stick and installing it by booting from it in BIOS. One problem I spent a long time fixing is the NVIDIA drivers refused to display 1280X1024 on the 42" Display... I ended up learning all about admin rights and xconfig just to fix that problem. After that I installed the basics along with compiz fusion and I have to say... It's a polished OS.The visual elements are better looking, more featured and less buggy than anything in XP or Vista, and when I have had a crash it's been fixable by force closing and re-opening the software in question. Ubuntu isn't as lightning fast as I expected, but then the kit is about 4 years old now and I have just about every feature switched on.I liked the old windows XP with litestep as it was bloody fast and very stable (litestep replaced the juggernaut explorer and takes almost no space in ram, while looking good at the same time) but it didn't want to install on my SATA drives as a result. I do alot of work with photoshop, adobe flash and others so I can't use Ubuntu (Not going to run WINE thanks) even though I really want to. I did however get my mitts on windows 7, so as soon as I have a drive big enough to backup and reformat, I'm going to try out the next generation goodness, If that doesn't work out I guess it's going to be whatever it takes to have a XP/Ubuntu install.As for vista? Never liked it, it tries too hard and still doesn't get anywhere. It hangs at odd times and force closing processes doesn't actually work... Resulting in crashes that resemble a mammoth after someone shoots it with an LSD dart, long, drawn out and painful/hilarious to watch.

gaming in ubuntuLinux Ubuntu Vs Windows Vista

I have used ubuntu since I got sick of losing access to all the tweaks and things that you used to be able to do in windows (3.1, 95, 98), as of XP SP2 I got annoyed with how babied the user becomes, I decided to switch to linux which I have been using ever since, went past a few distro's before I fell in love with ubuntu (7.10), I installed windows server 2008 on my gaming machine, but then I started browsing the WINE application database and found that 90% of the games I play run easilly under WINE, I re-installed ubuntu (8.10) on my gaming machine and own all my friends on COD4 on their vista powered machines with their better hardware, because vista makes their game lag where ubuntu doesnt, there is almost nothing that can be done in windows that cant be done better in linux

-reply by Person1873

Personally, I think vista is an OK operating system, although not as good as XP. I have never tried Ubuntu, so I don't know how it adds up to Vista. I just know that I am definitely looking forward to Windows 7!

I would choose vista over ubuntu anyday. vista (although not as good as xp) at least has an easy-to-use and familiar interface. Ubuntu just doesn't work with any of my hardware. my broadcom wireless card will not work so i cannot access internet and overall ubuntu just doesn't seem to provide enough features to satisfy me.

LINUX!!!Linux Ubuntu Vs Windows Vista

Well From my experiences Personaly I prefer CentOS Or Ubuntu Linux then vista

cos using crossover and Wine you can run winapps on Linux anyways + I Find linux suits my needs a more Eg: It Is Much Faster and requires less hardware, it has aloit of software to help support servers and its great for programmers like myself so yeh

Thats Just my Personal Opinion ::P

-reply by Tobi

I dual boot Ubuntu 8.10 and windows Xp in my pc. I've tried windows vista on my friend's laptop and my opinion is:

1.) Windows XP Vs VISTA

Windows Vista seems to have many compatibily issues with old hardwares. My wireless device driver cannot be installed in windows vista and i need to configure my network to connect to my college's WiFi.

Vista provide lot of eye candy but it make my head dizzy because of the fancy icons. I prefer Windows 98 UI because it was simple and fast to navigate around. (My lecturer spend 4 minute to find his documents in his vista laptop) :D

Besides, vista consume much memory and of course, old PC perform suck if vista was installed in it

I'm not a micro$oft hater but i cannot afford increasing price of OS and softwares... (I'm using pirated microsoft 2007 right now) :D :D

Vista doesn't provide full compatibility with older games and softwares.

2.) Windows VS Ubuntu

Well, i have use Ubuntu for 8 months until now. Got no problem but honestly, I didn't recommend it for people who suck on command prompt because much of linux distros still depend heavily on console. i.e you can do much on console than point-n-click interface.

Ubuntu community provide support but it is yourself who should take time to think a little for the solutions.

I don't know how to explain this but I found that my internet connections is faster on Ubuntu.. Maybe it's because windows got so many holes that it allows viruses and worms to f**king spread.

Ubuntu is.. Virus Free!!! You don't have to worry when you want to plug in pen drive in ur pc.
If you want to have virus or worms as pets, contact me. My windows partition has become a livestock of viruses and worms. The live happily in my windoz partition becoz i have no anti virus installed. :D :D

Ubuntu provide many programming sofwares. I currently on my quest in writing blackjack games using python, a powerful programming language and good platform for noob to learn programming.

It will not hurt to try Ubuntu..

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/