xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Top 10 Things To Look Forward To In Windows 7

This post is based on an article printed by lifehacker.com in which I thought I bring my opinions about this article.

10. Side bar

Thank god I would think 99% of the world would agree that this was the most useless feature and a memory waster as well, because every time I started up vista the memory would spike when it was loading that sidebar and besides I close it most of the time anyway because of how useless it really was.

9. Old school programs get the respect they deserve

To be quite honest I am glad they are at least updating these programs, even if it is just a new look and a couple of features. Still it would be nice if they could improve on them and add some more feature open source style without making people have to buy them seperately. Of course, you can't do much to a calculator but Word Pad and paint could use some new stuff to match Open Office and Gimp, and yeah I know that those programs are as basic needs and nothing to spectacular. Yeah their size would increase the overal size of the installation but still 3-400MB in size programs are not that big and could pack in a lot of stuff into them though.

8. More Power

I believe it when I see it because battery life becomes shorter over time and all though I never saw how long a battery lasted on Vista I highly doubt it was long.

7. WIFI

Although I had to connect using the Windows WIFI location one or two times, I did find it a inconvenience that I had to click like 4-5 times just to get to it, but moving it to the task bar makes it a whole lot more convenient.

6. More Taskbar fun.

Well from what I read and what I know I would say that this is a good thing because users couldn't do to much task bar configuration besides editing hte registry and what not. Of course i remember the topic I made about the worse features and one of them being the balloon pop ups and so people should be happy about that.

5. We all hate UAC

Talk about being the most hated feature in a matter of minutes, the User Access Control annoying help make your computer more secured, but the first question asked was "How do I turn that crappy(changed word( UAC off?" As for what kind of customizations your guess is good as mine, but hopefully it is set up so programs that are installed can bypass that. Yes bad as that could be, but of course you could set it up so when a program is installed a pop up comes up about it.

4. Network made easy?

Never really network computers into servers and all that hooplah, but it would make sense that your network can grou similar content and thus make it easier to access it and what not.

3. Dynamic Desktop

Even though Microsoft never did big things with its desktop exepct for those dynamic website links and what not. It would seem that Microsoft made the move with a type of split screen or split desktop and being able to clear your desktop by shaking a window back and forth. Granted that last one would seem something like you would have to get use to, but if your multi tasker who has like 100 things running at once and just want to minimize everything all at once instead of clicking every window, I would think this would be a useful feature but as for the split desktop I feel as though the description was a bit cryptic and the image didn't help much either. So I be interested to hear more about that along with other dynamic desktop features they might have.

2. More Speed

The good ole the newer version is always faster statement, of course that proved true to vista and its horrible slow boot up, but from what I read about Windows 7, the operating system look smaller and thus seems a bit faster and it should be interesting if becomes any faster or slower by the time the full version comes out.

1. OMG even more Task Bar customization

First let me start off and say Microsoft stole an idea from RocketDock and Mac Leopard Docking feature, they have it now, and to be quite honest what took them so long. I have been using Rocket dock for awhile now and I love it as I don't have to do all this needless click to get common programs running anymore. Either way docking feature is one of the great features if not the best feature of all time because of the time saving it does. Although they mention the task bar preview it is also on vista as well when you hover over the tab in the task bar so that is nothing new.

I would have to say these would be just some of things to look for, but the thing I am looking for is price tag and how bad it get with a computers drivers, hardware and all that other fun stuff. However, it would seem that everyone is split on the beta release of Windows 7 and yet most everyone agrees that it is better then vista, so far.

SOURCE

http://lifehacker.com/5078582/top-10-things-to-look-forward-to-in-windows-7

I looks forward to like 8/10 of these~!! I can't wait til Windows 7 comes out~!! Vista sucks *KITTEN*...... It is so slow...

Thanks Saint Michael :angry:I guess Windows 7 is worth the wait.. But at the same time I am hoping it has lesser bugs than Windows Vista(when it was released). Even the Ultimate version of Vista has a lot of bugs.. Two of my friends have Vista Ultimate - The strange thing is .. One who actually bought Vista Ultimate has a severe problem with it , Explorer keeps crashing every now and then; and the other who :lol: DOWNLOADED ^_^ it has no problems .. :DNEways .. I hope Windows 7 doesn't have any flavors as with the Vista and is cheap .. I can't understand why Microsoft ppl price their products so ridiculously :angry: even when their product has more bugs than actual useful programs

Well of what I've heard about windows 7, it's going to be even slower than vista. I don't like that the whole goverment (finland) is so windows-centered, they don't teach anything else than windows in schools. I think the goverment and schools would save a lot of money from electric bills if they used Linux, which is much more lite and so the prosessor of the computer doesn't overheat that much. Also old machines (like the one they use in school, they suck!) run much more smoother and faster with linux. Windows xp is the best that microsoft has made, it's much more convenient than vista if you ask me, very lite and can be runned on old computers. Overall people around the world are realizing that you don't have to pay for operating system, and therefor abanding windows. I also like that you can customize everything since it's open source (exept the kernels basic functions) like that sidebar, you can customize it to fit YOU. The problem of people not using linux is that people don't want to change the way they do things(like I mentioned earlier it is not being teachen in schools so people don't now how to use it!), even if that is beneficial for themselves. I went a little bit off topic and the reply might be difficult to underestand by some user, the point is that you can always start from zero in new operating system and try which of them you like. I hope this comment is helpful.Best wishes,Baniboy :lol:

a long wait-and-see period still before the shipdate. i wish it's not all hype and the improvements not only cosmetic, for once, with the windows 7 they finally send into production. good thing it's still remains in the active development stage at the moment, and they could hear out the feedbacks they are getting from prospective end-users. it would be good if they actually listen though. ^_^ like their geo-tracking feature (where Windows 7 will let microsoft track your every move).... getting paranoid now? :D

NEways .. I hope Windows 7 doesn't have any flavors as with the Vista

initial reports indicate you won't be able to count the upcoming windows 7 editions in your two hands (unless you got twenty fingers, of course. :angry:)... YES, there will be at least TWENTY (20) editions for Windows 7 if we are to believe the rumor mill. :lol:

I'm guessing it would be petty to point out you don't need to wait for Windows 7 for these features? Or pay for them?The loss of the sidebar is great. It always annoyed me on Vista machines. However, the Mac Dashboard and KDE 4's Plasmoids are already able to be placed all over the desktop, are more freely available and use up less RAM.As for improving Notepad and Paint: Noooooooooooooo! I love the old-school coolness of Notepad ^_^ From the looks of the videos, they seem to have added the 'ribbon' (a GUI element no-one else has adopted...) to these older apps. The additions to the Calculator look they could be useful, but I suspect things like the mortgage calculator will not get used all too often. Cool features, but not really for everyday use (unless you're a mortgage salesman :D ). Also, Microsoft would never include software like OpenOffice or The GIMP, or bring the included software anywhere close to their standard. Why? They would lose out on billions of dollars from sales of Microsoft Office and... erm... PhotoDraw? :angry:I can't see battery life being dramatically improved, but it is something that needs to be worked on. All the new effects will surely hit battery life, so anything that can be done to boost it back up is helpful.Network information in the taskbar. Oh, you've only just got that? KDE 3 has had that for ages. Right click the network icon in the Kicker, pick a network, done. Good to see Microsoft has finally realised that Windows networking always was a right pain in the neck though.Being able to remove balloon popups will just cause applications to find another way to alert users, like the 'toast' popups, or even dialogs.The split desktop allows you to 'snap' windows to fill certain areas of the screen automatically. For example, with a widescreen monitor, it splits the screen down the middle. You can then set a window to fill either the left or right side of the screen. All the screen space is used, without fiddly manual resizing of windows. A nice feature, especially as monitor sizes increase, and it becomes ridiculous to maximise a window to fill the space.The shaking a window to clear everything is the very definition of gimick :lol: A button labeled "Show Desktop" on my KDE Kicker does exactly the same job. Another click and all the windows come back to their previous positions.The dock isn't really that special. KDE has the Quicklauncher, and a freely available Mac OS style dock. I seem to remember 'Quick Links' being available on the taskbar in Windows? A flashy effect doesn't really add functionality. It was just applications adding themselves automatically to the Quick Links that made most people ignore it.Microsoft are reportedly pleading with hardware vendors to make sure their hardware works with Windows 7, and all necessary drivers are ready in time, to avoid the chaos of Windows Vista. A nice idea, but drivers didn't work all too well on XP, and have just gone downhill from there. It's a major problem that needs fixing as a highest priority.

a long wait-and-see period still before the shipdate. i wish it's not all hype and the improvements not only cosmetic, for once, with the windows 7 they finally send into production. good thing it's still remains in the active development stage at the moment, and they could hear out the feedbacks they are getting from prospective end-users. it would be good if they actually listen though. :angry: like their geo-tracking feature (where Windows 7 will let microsoft track your every move).... getting paranoid now? :lol:initial reports indicate you won't be able to count the upcoming windows 7 editions in your two hands (unless you got twenty fingers, of course. ^_^)... YES, there will be at least TWENTY (20) editions for Windows 7 if we are to believe the rumor mill. :D

Its not a rumor its so true :angry:, here are the 20 versions that are coming out, and I want to get the Penultimate Version :angry:. Odd's are though that the same amount of versions Vista came out with Windows 7 will match it and so 6-10 give or take. As for the Vista hardware and drivers, they said the same thing with XP and besides hardware and drivers come out a lot faster then Windows Versions and so expect to get new hardware or wait a year for drivers to be created when a final version comes out.
Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

ZOMG I can't wait for windows 7 to come out all of those features sound amazing especially all the new customization! They haven't announced any type of date to be looking for windows 7 yet have they? I am just trying to keep up with this because I am building a computer and I need to know if it will be worth waiting for or not.

Windows 7 looks so promising!! I just hope they don't lower the awesome graphics too much..... Start up time should be about the same as XP Professional, I hear..... That is still pretty slow..... The Windows 7 preview on that article looks like like the graphics are sucky and worse than XP..... It is all plain and silvery and reminds me of 2000......