xisto Community
knowlet

Black & Dacker Accu Drill And Screw Driver Unlucky warranty

Mostly I trust products that are known - at least if they originate directly from a developed country. I bought a battery drill which can serve as a screw driver too some more than two years ago with a two year warranty. Now that the latter expired my drill went broke: it began to spark stronger, to smoke and smell awfully.One of my aquaintances told me it was because of a production failure - bad windings of the engine that burned down. There was a unique smell just from the start. When I would have known it...

If it lasted longer than two years I wouldn't worry about it. Everything breaks sooner or later. I don't think it was a production failure if it lasted as long as it did unless you rarely used it during those two plus years. I feel sorry for you that it broke right after the warranty ended.

I'm not brain washed by brand names or product reputation--I purchase what I believe is the best value for my money.Although Black & Decker is a reputable company, I would not go with their cordless drill (is how we say in the majority of United States) because they are not well known for durability, dependability and/or darn strength.When it comes to cordless drills, my first choice would have been DeWalt. But this comes with a heavy price tag. At the time of my purchase what got me the most was Ryobi. They are not the toughest product out there but for the price it was the product for my situation. And in fact it was not too much from Black & Decker at a similar class.Black & Decker was the furthest thing from my mind that day. I felt Black & Decker threw the feeling of "everyday, easy but repetitive house chores kind of stuff" where Ryobi threw "I got me some 18volts of cordless power and I'm going to drill anything in sight." Ha ha ha. All kiddings aside, this would be one of few times I would prefer higher brand name for long lasting service.

Thank you guys for your reply, correction and advice. It was respectful for me. To tell you the truth a mechanic friend suggested to buy a same Black & Decker cordless drill. He said though it's a weaker machine it's worth its price, and it's only for rare home use. In the meantime I've bought it. The new one doesn't smell like the one before - I can reuse accumulator and charger, occationally other parts. I hope it'll last longer as well.Ryobi seems to be simpathetic for me.I had just wanted to share my experience if a machine smells specially, it can be a sign of the engine burning down slowly.

Edited by knowlet (see edit history)

Some of my friends work in construction and they said they never use Black and Decker.Apparently the tools don't have the robustness and toughness to last through repetitive,constant use.I think Black and Decker is mainly meant for the occasional home user anyway.I'm not cutting them down but I don't think they are regarded as fully "professional". It's too bad the thing broke just after your warranty ran out. At least with a new purchase you canget a new warranty. Better luck next time.

Edited by networker (see edit history)

I have had a DeWalt cordless drill for over 3 years (maybe even more, i believe) and it has not died on me yet. Still running strong, and I love it so much more than their new cordless drill designs, which are terrible in my opinion. I love DeWalt products, you should try them :P

I work at job sites from time to time and we use Milwaukee drills to do our work. They are definitely sturdy and rugged and I haven't had any real problems with them yet. I believe these are the drills we use.

I would buy Black and Decker only for occasional home use... people are right about them not being as powerful or durable. Other brands you might consider include Ryobi, Skil, Ridgid, and DeWalt. I'd be wary of anything else. I know that money's always an object, but I think that this would be one of those deals where you get what you pay for.

Being a Tradesman/Carpenter by training, I use tools on a regular basis, so my opinion should be recorded here.Black and Decker are okay for many things, depending on the regularity of use. Home Owners would get along with them okay. Dewalt is actually made by the same company as Black and Decker. B & D bought Dewalt a few years ago. Then B&D dropped making the top-end professional tools and the Dewalt brand is for the true Professional users. They each contain the same technologies, but Dewalt is tougher and stronger, built to do the job all day/every day. Previously, I had a B&D Pro saw that worked well for 22 years until it needs a couple of parts, but the parts were unavailable due to the machine's age. I almost cried when I lost that saw. After that length of time it felt like an extension to my arm and would highly recommend it to anyone. B&D Model 3037 Builder's Saw Cat by name. Built in the day when B&D offered a Professional line of tools.I own a couple of Ryobi tools, too, but not the ones I use almost every day. A Portable Table saw and a biscuit joiner which I use "occasionally" in the shop.Milwaukee is the Tools of choice, but they are generally more expensive. I use a Milwaukee 7 1/4" saw and the one I own now is my second one. Also, I have a 10 " Milwaukee saw for cutting timbers and a 3/8 " drill that is probably the best drill I have ever owned. Lots of power in it.Makita makes a good tool, too. I own several of them. 1/2 " Drill, sander, jig saw.For Battery Drills, I am using a brand that is "off-shore" and I think only available in Canada. "KING" Tools make a respectable cordless drill. Enough power for many jobs, 2 speed, clutched drive, reversible, variable speed, 2 batteries and charger included. The reason I use them is that this $100 drill is work the same as a Milwaukee battery drill after they have fallen off the peak of a roof, and it has happened several times to me. Why spent $400 on the best tool out there when I can do the same job with a $100 tool? The $100 drill works fine for me. I've been using them for several years now, so I have an accumulation of batteries and chargers because I always buy the 14.4 volt ones and usually in pairs. I buy 2 at the same time so that the parts are interchangeable if something bad happens to them. The messed up ones I keep in the shop for handy jobs.

Don't you just love how things tend to break right when the warranty ends? That's a sad fact - it happens with many products. The companies know this. They know the likelihood of it just up and breaking within the first year or two aren't very high, so that's why warranties usually only last that long. Also, products tend to get the most use (and therefore, wear and tear) during those first years of ownership, and the companies also know this. They offer the warranty for a specific amount of time because they know that the warranty will most likely end shortly before the product breaks. You lose out and they get off scotch-free. Not all companies pull that but many do. I guess it's just a sad fact of being a consumer in today's world where it's all about money, not about quality.

Being a Tradesman/Carpenter by training, I use tools on a regular basis, so my opinion should be recorded here.Black and Decker are okay for many things, depending on the regularity of use. Home Owners would get along with them okay. Dewalt is actually made by the same company as Black and Decker. B & D bought Dewalt a few years ago. Then B&D dropped making the top-end professional tools and the Dewalt brand is for the true Professional users. They each contain the same technologies, but Dewalt is tougher and stronger, built to do the job all day/every day. Previously, I had a B&D Pro saw that worked well for 22 years until it needs a couple of parts, but the parts were unavailable due to the machine's age. I almost cried when I lost that saw. After that length of time it felt like an extension to my arm and would highly recommend it to anyone. B&D Model 3037 Builder's Saw Cat by name. Built in the day when B&D offered a Professional line of tools.
I own a couple of Ryobi tools, too, but not the ones I use almost every day. A Portable Table saw and a biscuit joiner which I use "occasionally" in the shop.
Milwaukee is the Tools of choice, but they are generally more expensive. I use a Milwaukee 7 1/4" saw and the one I own now is my second one. Also, I have a 10 " Milwaukee saw for cutting timbers and a 3/8 " drill that is probably the best drill I have ever owned. Lots of power in it.
Makita makes a good tool, too. I own several of them. 1/2 " Drill, sander, jig saw.
For Battery Drills, I am using a brand that is "off-shore" and I think only available in Canada. "KING" Tools make a respectable cordless drill. Enough power for many jobs, 2 speed, clutched drive, reversible, variable speed, 2 batteries and charger included. The reason I use them is that this $100 drill is work the same as a Milwaukee battery drill after they have fallen off the peak of a roof, and it has happened several times to me. Why spent $400 on the best tool out there when I can do the same job with a $100 tool? The $100 drill works fine for me. I've been using them for several years now, so I have an accumulation of batteries and chargers because I always buy the 14.4 volt ones and usually in pairs. I buy 2 at the same time so that the parts are interchangeable if something bad happens to them. The messed up ones I keep in the shop for handy jobs.

Is there enough of a dramatic difference in power to recommend a 14.4V over a 12V drill? What would you recommend to the average joe that wants just a step up from Black & Decker? What about drill bits?

I've only had some experience with Ryobi, DeWalt, and Milwaukee (with most of the experience on Milwaukee-brand drills) but we have a mish-mash set of drill bits. Would you recommend DeWalt bits? (I haven't broken one yet.) What would you get for the best bang for your buck?

(I'm actually looking to snag a drill for home improvement since my current method of using an Allen wrench tool to poke holes through drywall isn't exactly the best way to go.) :)

Does anyone have any experience with Mastercraft tools? They seem to be pretty good, affordable tools that are a step up from the b&d type brands. They have a lifetime warranty on a lot of stuff too. If you break something, they do indeed replace it. I doubt they're in the same league as the brand names professionals use, because they are cheaper, but I think they're more than adequate for home use. Some tools are made cheaper than others, but most are pretty good quality I think. I have had a bad experience with B&D products. This might not be as masculine as a tool, but they make this cheap rice cooker that often sells for $9.99 here. The rice cooker works good, better than other cheap rice cookers, the only problem is, it never lasts for very long. I've owned three of them (they're cheap) and every one of them broke in the same way, one day it will finish cooking rice, and then it will never turn on again, the lights go off forever. Something fishy is going on when a product keeps breaking like that. Has anyone ever seen or used a tool that's 40+ years old? I've seen some of the power tools my grandfather used to use and they are H-E-A-V-Y. You'd have to be a strong person to use one of those old fashioned tools. They're well made too, almost always completely metal, you could run over them with a truck and it'd be ok. I used to think modern chainsaws were pretty heavy, they're NOTHING compared to the metal ones they used to use. It's like lifting weights! It's no wonder men were strong in those days, they had to be.