xisto Community
daftpunk

What Do You Guys Think Of The New Mycent?

To give a little Xisto veteran aspect of the new credit system and that includes members who been here for a year or longer, I would say that for the next few months it is going to be rough at first just because it something new and getting use to the changes and stuff like that. Granted everyone is figuring out the new system pretty darn quickly thanks to answering the right questions and people are providing some of the best answers in order to make the confusion seem less as this new credit is getting put together.As for the hosting package themselves, nothing has really changed with the exception of the logic plan and the fact we now can get a 1gb of hosting for free now and if I remember correctly it was one or two years since we got the 500MB of storage and 10GB of BW. Of course, this is hte perfect opportunity for those who been free hosting all their lives to understand how to set up paid hosting regardless if it is here, godaddy or host gator and so everyone is learning something new.

I think the myCENT system is great. It gives people more potential for customization of their site, and how it runs.

I know some people think that maybe the myCENT might not be good for Xisto as a whole though, because of all

the free money being given out to posters. But look at it this way, even though im a student and need cash for

books and such, I'm starting to see how cheap good hosting is, and how useful it is to me. Using the myCENT program

I think some of us are going to start paying for some of the more advanced features since its only a few dollars more.

But so far, I have no complaints... well okay how about taking domain purchases off Xisto credits and similar

products? :) Otherwise im very happy with the myCENT system.

I think the new myCent is amazing. It is so much better than the old version 2 credit system because now you can basically get everything xisto has to offer just by posting. I also love the fact that I can now post on both Xisto and Xisto and it count toward my total Xisto - Support total credits earned. Another reason I like the new myCent is the fact that you can buy yourdoamain.com domain names without having to collect 280 credits like before. This myCent is a giant step forward by Xisto/Xisto. I already thought this was the best free web host ever and it they just keep making it better.

I'm liking it... simply for the fact that now I can create separate Domains for the f=various things that I have been using my sub-domains for.

Instead of cluttering up my Xisto account with a several sub-domains, I will be able to purchase a Domain and host each one separately now. Cool!

OK, except I have had a domain of my own for some 4 years now that I purchased elsewhere and have been renewing each year for $9.95/yr. My nameserver is controlled at their site. I don't wish to purchase a package here including a domain. I only need the hosting space and bandwidth. I do not use anything else, not even the e-mail boxes. My mailbox is at Yahoo. So what happens to my site?

The myCENT aspect of the services provided here are what made me choose Xisto for my host, it's simple, clean, and seems to work great. As I'm low on funds, and also require other necessities, so this free host is great. The fact that you can obtain domains for such little work (posting), really appeals to me.

I like this myCent system very much. Now I can buy my own domain very easily. Actuall I thought that I will never reach 250 credits to buy some domain name. Even though I somehow managed it, it would be impossible to renew that next year with credit system v2 except I post excessively. But Credit system v3 made it easy. Now I can buy my own domain with my present balance. No need to wait for long time. And also, with this mycent system we can buy our favourite package as per our needs.

Edited by xpress (see edit history)

Like many others, I like the new myCENT system. It allows for customization in plans, and also allows the 'free webhosting' to branch out further as it is also possible, with the new system, to obtain something like a free VPS, or a free domain. Compared to the previous system, the 'flaw' in which you would lose credits when you apply for hosting is fixed (wouldn't it be horrible to lose all your dollars when you bought a plan). This allows for one to save up the earned CENTs (and dollars :)) which makes purchases of other items feasible (250 credits on the old system? bleurg!)There is also a feeling that we are being rewarded with money instead of hosting, except the money can only be used on the Xisto - Support website (so it's like a gift-card basically), but that's probably because that's how we're being rewarded :P

OK, except I have had a domain of my own for some 4 years now that I purchased elsewhere and have been renewing each year for $9.95/yr. My nameserver is controlled at their site. I don't wish to purchase a package here including a domain. I only need the hosting space and bandwidth. I do not use anything else, not even the e-mail boxes. My mailbox is at Yahoo. So what happens to my site?

\

When your in the domain options select I will update my nameservers on an existing domain then of course just add in your domain name in the first box and or the TLD (.com, .org, .net) in the second box and then go from there.

The myCENT aspect of the services provided here are what made me choose Xisto for my host, it's simple, clean, and seems to work great. As I'm low on funds, and also require other necessities, so this free host is great. The fact that you can obtain domains for such little work (posting), really appeals to me.

Well hopefully that will appeal for everyone that way they are spending $0 in real cash and all he or she has to do is make sure they have enough to pay for it next year.

I like this myCent system very much. Now I can buy my own domain very easily. Actuall I thought that I will never reach 250 credits to buy some domain name. Even though I somehow managed it, it would be impossible to renew that next year with credit system v2 except I post excessively. But Credit system v3 made it easy. Now I can buy my own domain with my present balance. No need to wait for long time. And also, with this mycent system we can buy our favourite package as per our needs.

Pretty Much

Like many others, I like the new myCENT system. It allows for customization in plans, and also allows the 'free webhosting' to branch out further as it is also possible, with the new system, to obtain something like a free VPS, or a free domain. Compared to the previous system, the 'flaw' in which you would lose credits when you apply for hosting is fixed (wouldn't it be horrible to lose all your dollars when you bought a plan). This allows for one to save up the earned CENTs (and dollars :)) which makes purchases of other items feasible (250 credits on the old system? bleurg!)

There is also a feeling that we are being rewarded with money instead of hosting, except the money can only be used on the Xisto - Support website (so it's like a gift-card basically), but that's probably because that's how we're being rewarded :P

ditto.

I like it. It gives members the feeling "OMG, I GOT MONEY TO HOST A WEBSITE JUST FOR POSTING ON Xisto~!!". From my point of view, I post, learn, and GET A SITE FOR FREE~!! I am extremely happy with myCENT and Xisto. myCENT also gives you features such as SHELL ACCESS, Advanced DNS support, etc.

I like it. It gives members the feeling "OMG, I GOT MONEY TO HOST A WEBSITE JUST FOR POSTING ON Xisto~!!". From my point of view, I post, learn, and GET A SITE FOR FREE~!! I am extremely happy with myCENT and Xisto. myCENT also gives you features such as SHELL ACCESS, Advanced DNS support, etc.

What exactly is Shell Access? Apperently I didn't use it before because as you said it wasn't a feature on the old Xisto host plan. I'm just curisous as to what this is and see if I might want to use it for my site. Edited by Running With Scissors (see edit history)

I made a topic asking what SHELL Access is. Someone answered the question a few days ago.

Shell access on a Unix-type server is access to a command prompt on the server itself. This enables you to issue commands as a user of the system - for example, for changing permissions on files, copying, moving, deleting and such. On a dedicated server, you will probably also have "root" access (like Administrator access in Windows) and you will be able to compile and install programs, update and patch your system and a whole lot more.

Here is the topic post : http://forums.xisto.com/topic/61839-xisto-hosting-general-sales-question-xistogeneral-questions/

Oh ok thanks. I've been wondering what SHELL Access was for a while now. This is another example of why I love Xisto since I started posting here (and before here Xisto) to get hosting credits I've learnd so much.

I'm glad I could help. Wondering for long periods of time could kill a man. =)

Darn. I noticed that the prices for a month of hosting went up a dollar. Does anybody know why this was raised?

I just checked Xisto - Support and none of the prices changed from what they have been. Are you talking about a different place or am I blind? Edited by Running With Scissors (see edit history)