xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tran-Gate

Xisto Hosting - General Sales Question Xisto/General Questions....

I have a lot of questions for Xisto webhosting and I would like it if all of the questions would be answered. Here are my questions:

1) When you sign up for the logic plan, there is the "E-Mail Soln. (Yearly Only):" option. What is the "Free Google Mail (10x 7GB Mail) (Domain required*)". Does that give you an email address like xxxx@domain.com?

2) If you sign up for the "_____MB LogicMail account (@yourdomain) - FREE SETUP - .....", do you need to sign up for the addon-thing at the bottom?

Email Hosting - *Special Price* - 500 MB Mail-Space Powered by clusters built for processing & managing Emails Your mails are stored in different Server for HIGHER security and Protection.
Anti-Virus Protection, Anti-Spam Protection, Dictionary Harvest Attack Protection, Support......

3) What is SHELL access and how is it useful?

4) Is a dedicated IP recommended? Why?

Thank you for helping me answer my questions......

Hey,

I will be happy to answer these questions for you :)

1) When you sign up for the logic plan, there is the "E-Mail Soln. (Yearly Only):" option. What is the "Free Google Mail (10x 7GB Mail) (Domain required*)". Does that give you an email address like xxxx@domain.com?

Webmail is disabled for Logic Plans so we instead offer external mail services. Yes Google apps give you your own xxx@domain.com but you need to have your domain registered first or else it cannot be activated for you.

2) If you sign up for the "_____MB LogicMail account (@yourdomain) - FREE SETUP - .....", do you need to sign up for the addon-thing at the bottom?

Addons? o.O

3) What is SHELL access and how is it useful?

A nice explanation by a member called encyclo from webmasterworld

shell access on a Unix-type server is access to a command prompt on the server itself. This enables you to issue commands as a user of the system - for example, for changing permissions on files, copying, moving, deleting and such. On a dedicated server, you will probably also have "root" access (like Administrator access in Windows) and you will be able to compile and install programs, update and patch your system and a whole lot more.

4) Is a dedicated IP recommended? Why?

Well it depends on what kind of a website you are running. But a dedicated ip is always useful as it becomes your unique address and it helps with your SEO ranking. I would not recommend using a dedicated ip unless you actually need it.

Awesome, I want to thank you for those answers as well.As for the question of the addons, they were talking about the one they put in their quote, about the 500 MB email hosting...I have the same question as well. Do we still get email addresses without that?

If you purchase just a hosting, and you "tie" to your domain name all incoming email is stored with your hosting space.

That 500MB email hosting is separate from your hosting space so that you can store more without worry. But if you need more space for email, let's say to store, archive or receive attachments, you would need a dedicated email space that does not "share" your hosting space.

So let's further discuss two scenario of email: domain and sub-domain

Domain:

You can have whoever@your-domain-name.ext as long as you have email hosting. Since this is an extra purchase with myCENT Credit System, OpaQue suggest using Google Apps with your domain name. Google Apps offers 7GB, and growing, email hosting per account, up to 100+ accounts for FREE. It's a no brainer there. And it's hosted by Google mighty servers you know you can trust Google Apps.

Sub-Domain

When you use sub-domain, i.e. your-name.trap17{dot}com, you initially get cpanel_username@your-name.trap17{dot}com. You can only access this email using webmail, cpanel etc. This shares disk space with your hosting (since emails are delivered to your account and stored as email based file). If you forget to purge or empty out the trash you soon find out you're running out of space. Not a good thing.

Another reason for not recommending shared and sub-domain email is that you need to use, almost always, your cpanel and password information. As a security stand point, not very good when you're using public computers.

So you get email without purchasing email hosting. But if you own a domain and purchasing hosting for this domain name, I strongly suggest using google apps as your email hosting.