xisto Community
Arthur Dent

I Need Some Help With My School Network

My school have a network of computers with the server in the basement of our cityhall. I need to get admin access so I could access the drives which normal users have. This because the computer technicians have an IQ below the average beach ball. I usually dont insult people but Im only expressing everyones thoughts about this.Ive read through a lot of stuff on the internet of how to do it but to do so Ill need admin access from the beginning which I dont have. The suff not requiring admin access will reset or change the password of an already existing which I dont want to happen. The technicians should be able to manage their own accounts.Im looking for a way to have temporarly admin access on the already existing accounts or to create a new admin account.We are using a version of Novell on our WinXP SP2 or SP3 (dont remember which). The only things we students have access to is the G: and the X: drives. The G: drive is nothing special and the X: drive is our own personal drive which we can save our documents on.The other drives (C: and Y:) resets during the night. We have floppy disc 3 1/2" drives and DVD drives in our computers. We also got 4 USB contacts with 1 for the mouse.CMD is not disabled nor is anything else Ive discovered this far including websites and .bat files.Its near impossible for me to reach a computer with admin on and I wont try because Im not so certain about the hacker policy on my school. So if I cant wipe my traces away I wont do it.

Exactly what are you trying to access and why? You have access to your own files, so there should be no need for you to access anything else. If you really need access to something else, can't you make your case to the admins, and if it's a valid case then they'll do it?Regardless of your school's policy, the law is fairly harsh on anyone attempting to gain unauthorised access to a computer system, and you could face a prison sentence for anything of that type.

The best way to gain admin access is asking a current admin... wait....Horrible idea. If you want to override a school firewall to gain access to Xisto forums, I might help you. It looks to me like you want to access others' personal files or in some way harm your school's computers. That is unlawful, and should result in some serious consequences. Unless you have a good reason (like you just started working for the computer lab there and none of the current admins have any idea how to add you), you shouldn't do it. Actually, asking that sort of question is against the agreement you made with Xisto here. I wouldn't be surprised if a moderator took special note of that.I love you username, though. I've never read the books (I hear they're good), but the movie was insanely hilarious.

There is a desire that every computer geek (no insult, i would class myself as a computer geek and im damn proud of it! And i still have a social life :P) has to infiltrate their school computers. And at the time it does seem like the admins are morons, and indeed somtimes they are, in fact most of the time they are! But on the other hand for two weeks i was a network techie at a university, and theyre not as dumb as you might think. would you know how to setup a cluster network to automatically share the load? How to use software similar to the telnet command to access a DHCP server and configure its pool of IP addresses? Write a VBScript file to access the current computer's motherboard and software info and then save that to a unique text file for later? You'd be surprised what they do know, they dont general have a lot of common sense but consider that at my school there was an account with admin access with the username "admin" and the password "admin" do you think that is an accident? I would imagine its a honeypot (an account set up that is easy to crack but contains a method of tracing so as soon as it is access the script kiddie is traced and caught) So... the point of this story is that what you are thinking is a bad idea. It may seem cool "Hey dude, you seen my A* in ancient history? *wink*" But accessing those files will do you no good. Although having said that, i and a few friends DID have access to the addresses of EVERY student at the school, including postal/zip codes with which it was possible to find phone numbers etc... but alas that was neglect on the teacher's part for leaving thte file on the shared area with a 5 letter, one word password. However what isnt cool is loosing access to the computers for 6 weeks. Those same computers that contain all your course work, home work and school work.... And you will be caught. Admins and teachers have software that shows them every computer in any room and the usernames logged on to that computer. As well as a live screen shot of the computer. So when they see an "admin" is logged on in their room they might just come round to check....Though having said that there are too ways around that :) It was too easy... :P but anyway, the basics are: You may manage it, you may delete some jock's coursework, leave a surprise love letter or change some grades. But WHEN you are caught you ARE liable for legal charges (it is an offence to gain unauthorized access) suspension from the school and/or computers and it will go on your record. So if you were to apply for a job in which computers feature heavily the employer will ask themselves "Will this guy destroy my computer systems? Steal confidential info? etc...".If you wish to learn about computer security and what the media generally defines as "hacking" i recommend you do a google search for "bright shadows" and follow the links (the site i am referring to is in NO WAY illegal. It features tutorials and "games" where a user may attempt to disable the security in controlled areas by using things like SQL injection etc.... and you are given FULL permission to do this by the owners. I highly recommend it and i must get myself back on there!) I think every computer user should know how to disable security, because then every computer user knows how to PREVENT their security being destroyed and computers are safer that way. Practice what you may or may learn in private or on systems where its permitted and what you learn will protect you as well as open up the possibilities if you ever venture into coding/programming. But using it at school is the second worst place you could use it! (second only to the US government systems which an english hacking may well go to guantanamo for, damn Bushy and his pet sheep....)

Can we say, hacking??I'm going to assume the server is set with active directory and each workstation are users of this domain?If so, the only way to access folders/drives from a workstation is through valid username and password. To bypass this is to bypass server's security, or hacking the server. It depends on each server's setup but usually active directory has built-in security log where a server admin can review/be notified with any unusual activities. So the answer to your "not leaving the trace" is a no go.And even if you have the username and password to log in to access C and Y drive, the "shared" drive must be configured to allow this username and password to access these drives.Another way is to login as remote terminal (Windows command: mstsc.exe) only if the server is installed with terminal server and is enabled. Then simply use the server's IP address (if set statically) and use the username and password. This too is also logged (if server admin knows what he/she is doing) but before you exit the terminal session you can wipe out the log. But this would mean you are entrusted by server admins to remotely connect to the server.

Thats a lot of answers during 1 night.@Rvallkass: Im not living in the US so its not considered an action of terrorism. I will only, if caught, get a warning but it wont show in my records.@Curtis: The books are better then the film.@ShadowX: Even if there is an admin account which is designed to catch hackers it will be unsuccessful because our network technicians is usually not home and if they are theyre in another building 500m away. And we dont have personal computers so it doesnt matter anyway. Anyone could have logged in.And Im probably the biggest geek in my school, its not bragging. Its a fact.I will also take a look at 'bright shadows'@Buffalo: You are using a lot of words I know what they mean but I cant place them in this subject. Im a geek but networks arent my strongest ability.Which drive is the 'shared drive'?I dont have any laptop (to remote connect) but some friends does. I dont want to use theirs laptops for this. Remote connection is maybe allowed. The school have a built in wireless net if someone wants to use their own computers in school.I want admin access for 3 reasons:1. (Not so important, really.) All the others expect me to be able to do it.2. Im curious and wants to look around.3. I will be able to add new programs like photoshop. Photoshop is only available in some specific computer rooms.But I wont do the following:1. Change grades. Im not even sure they have the grades in the scholl. I think they have it on a remote network which have little or nothing to do with the schools network.2. Delete files or programs.3. Reset or change passwords.

Do you have the licenses for you to be able to put Photoshop on the computers? I wouldn't think so as it's quite pricey... It would only be installed on some computers because your school only purchased that many licenses. If you want Photoshop on more computers, purchase more licenses for your school..

Ahem, Im not sure my school is using legal software at all. Perhaps Novell and the Office Package but not much else. Sweden is a country known for not being very legal when it comes to computer programs. And Photoshop isnt that important. WinRAR would be better to install. (They dont even have that and thats free legal) I would also like to do a dual boot with Linux on the computers.

Booting linux is surprisingly easy. One guy in my class just brought in a bootable linux disc (i think it was DSL, Damn Small Linux or some other run from CD version) stuck it in the drive and wolla.... linuxIUd like to add that once he booted into linux there were no restrictions on what he could access. the HDD, network drives etc... and of course because it was booted on linux the only trace of it be online at all would be an IP in a connection log but with no username or other info it was pretty good, unless they looked at CCTV to see who used that computer at that exact time.

@ ADMIN : Kindly remove the content of this post if you find it offensive or illegal in any way. Thanks :)I am only replying to this post because I find it amusing that people still want to hack their School PCs.I can really understand and relate to this. Its really strange that people put up security where it is least required. I mean what possibly can a guy do on a School's PC. And If they are afraid of the Virus (yes , I know it sounds stupid but I've heard this reason also :P) why dont they buy a better Antivirus. Our college uses Symantec Antivirus and hasn't been updated for past 5-6 months :P even though we have a proper net connection.Hey Arthur, Can you just plug out the Network cable and still use the PC ??bcoz if you can , then you can easily boot from another OS and change the Admin password.Google for "OphCrack" p.s. "Ophcrack" is a legal software and is used if a user forgets his / her admin passwords. Happens to me a lot.PM me if you need more help or the software doesn't help.

@ ShadowX: Id like to try booting Linux from disc but I have a very limited internet connection. (This is not why I want admin access in school. I can still download stuff.) Can you post or PM where to download fast and easy?@ BlueDragon: I use either Avast or Panda and I like them both. Ive got virii once (on my own computer) and then I just formated C: and installed WinXP again. I keep the rest of my stuff on D:.I can plug out the network cable but I must do it after Ive logged in or the computer freezes while its trying to reconnect Novell.And thanks for giving me a tip with OphCrack.@ Admin: Ive never said I will hack school or doing anything illegal. Ive just said I want to know how and what I would do if I would hack school. And if I, somehow, said I will hack school it was just theoretically.