xisto Community
bhavesh

Best Cms And Forum Combination

I use Joomla and personally I don't integrate the forum with the website. I just have a link on the menu to a forum, which in turn leads to my phpBB3 forum.In the past though I have used Joomla + Fireboard. Fireboard is actually pretty good, easy to install (just like a normal component through the joomla interface) and is quite customizable. However, I still prefer phpBB3 which is why I use it.

I'm testing out SMF now. So far, it seems better than phpBB3. I don't know if it's just that it's different, or that it's really better to me, but I seem to like it more.As for my CMS choice, my host just got back up last night so I'm re-adding Joomla now. We'll see how it goes. Before, I had issues really figuring out how to customize it.

Yeah, my two main reasons for trying out SMF over phpBB are that SMF has automatic "SEO" you can enable, whereas phpBB doesn't. I never could figure out how to get phpBB seo'd either, without adding new php pages that just read all the topics.As for the other reason, it was about the themes. Don't get me wrong, phpBB has awesome themes, but just like you I had issues with getting everything customized. I know how to install the themes and all, but then when you want to add a new item, like a chat box ,you must edit each one...This is hard if you have ~15-20 themes. Not to mention you come out with bugs that are very bothersome, and it causes a headache in the end.I haven't tried to add anything new to SMF, but to confirm, all add-ons will work on every theme without having to manually edit them?

I think that you should install Joomla, and phpbb3, and then wrap pbpbb3 in a wrapper, then bridge it. I could help you if you want. Fireboard forum is great, but it does lack some depth, because it is a very basic message board, and if you install a shout box or something wihich runs on Ajax it will stop running, adn then you have to somehow export everything to some oter place.Personally I think that you should go with the Joomla and phpbb3 combo which I can help you with of course. Just pm me ore something if you need more advice,

Man, honestly I would love to use phpBB but it is just so hard to get everything right.I'm someone who doesn't really plan out everything he is going to do ahead of time, so for me to edit something, and every 3-4 days edit it all over again to alter it, I could not stand doing that in phpBB.It got to the point where even though I was unhappy with the looks, and lack of features(like quick reply) on my phpBB, I lived with it just because it honestly was not worth the work.If you happen to know a much easier way to install the mods and stuff on phpBB I would love to hear. I would definitely go back to it, were it not so hard to use.

I'm adding a new post here so that you can see that it's new(hopefully double posting isn't against the rules being that these are completely different posts).

I'm having issues with Joomla now. More or less I am unable to wrap text on the main page. To better explain, you can check out the website here.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

(I put up that folder just temporarily - first question is, if I move the site from /joomla to the home folder, it won't screw up anything, right?)

And second is...How can I text wrap? If you notice, the text on the top "News" report stretches all the way to the right side of the page, and you get a scroll bar. It looks horrible.

But if you click on the link at the top, you get a perfectly formatted version of the same text.

So I'm interested in two ways of doing this, if possible(or any way you can think of).

1)Wrap the text on the main page, leaving it all there.

2)Putting 3-4 lines of text on the main page, with you being able to click the link to see the rest. Maybe with a link at the bottom saying "Continued here." or something.

Sadly, I do not know how to do either, and searching the Joomla site it seems many others have the same issue as well, yet are getting no help.

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Well in SMF you do have to do theme edits as well (in SMF 2 Beta 4 it is much easier, sometimes it does it for you), but there are less edits to do. If you have a theme that has a custom index.template.php and BoardIndex.template.php (which most themes have) and you install a MOD that edits the index.template.php, you will have to do the theme edit on that theme file (it only takes a few seconds to do it). Most themes only have 2 or 3 custom files, and the most I have seen is 7 or 8 (and even with those, usually a MOD doesn't modify every page in the theme).For personal experience, I suggest start off by installing about 4 themes, and after that start installing MODs (doing the theme edits if necessary). I have about 30 MODs installed right now (most of them are just small code edits that I made into MODs so that I can get rid of them fast if I wish), and I was thinking of adding another theme, but it would take so long for me to do the theme edits all at once....you get the picture. Start off with themes, and add the MODs to them once you install the MODs. It will make your life much easier.

Might I suggest looking at an MK Portal for the CMS and and AEF Forum for the board used by MK Portal?

CMS + phpbb solutionBest Cms And Forum Combination

2 weeks ago I had no clue how to setup a forum  never mind a cms, after googling quite a bit I decided on phpbb for the forum and stargate portal as the cms..

all I can say is I am very pleased with the results, it is not as difficult as some may say to get stargate up and running .

the steps I used were 

1 - install phpbb 3.0.7

2- install automod (just drag the install folder into your root directory, then point your browser to yoursite.Com/install and follow the on screen prompts.

3- once phpbb is installed drag the stargate portal folder up to store / mods folder.

4- go to the admin control panel of your forum click the automod tab, it should show stargate portal as present but uninstalled, click install, if you get a message saying it may not have installed properly, click force install.

5- point your browser to yoursite.Com/portal. Then click on "please open index.Php to install"

Thats pretty much it, just to add after each install, delete any install folder you may have in your root directory.

my site is still under construction, but if you want to take a look you will see how a relative noob to all this has done,

you can find my site at 

http://tournamentgamingworld.x10.bz/phpbb/portal.Php

The biggest challenge I found was getting the info telling me how to do all this, but as I have now posted this hopefully it will help others who wish to do the same.

Freeworld