xisto Community
DeM0nFiRe

Open Discussion... What The-?

Ok, so maybe this is more a question than a suggestion. What exactly was the point of changing the Xisto Forum title to Open Discussion? The title of the site is very clearly not Open Discussion so why call it that? You're confusing some multi-taskers over here! I can't find the Xisto No Ads, Free Hosting tab in my taskbar anymore! :lol:

Trust me I have ask the inner circle and I get either no idea or no response from the man himself and for all we we know we gone made and thus needs to go on a very long vacation to refresh himself and then come back to trap :lol:. In all seriousness even yours truly doesn't know what is going on but something is happening I guess.

This topic got my attention about the same thing too. Why is Xisto now called "Open Discussion" and not "Xisto Webhosting, No Ads"? :lol:What's going on OpaQue and BuffaloHELP? ^_^

Glad to know that it is not just me! I had just started using the Firefox search plugin for Xisto, and the first time that I used it the forums came up as "Open Discussion", whereas a minute before I installed it, they weren't like that at all. Uninstalling the search plugin seemed to make no difference to me, and it still showed as "Open Discussion". :lol:

I hadn't visited the Xisto forums until just now, so I don't know if the current "Free Web Hosting" moniker is the same as it was before. Anybody know if Xisto changed as well? Is this a sign that the free web hosting part of Xisto is being phased out? Or are we no longer going to be required to post on the forums to support our hosting? Or is it a marketing move, to encourage more non-hosted people to participate on the Xisto forums without being worried about hosting issues? OpaQue, are you out there?

I don't know why you guys are complaining. I love the new title. I used to think it was confusing and strange to have the main board list to be called "free web hosting, no ads" when really it was just one sub forum under these many forums of content that deals with web hosting. Open discussion seems to make much more sense. And you have to remember that the title of the entire website hasn't been changed, just the forums.

I am also shock when seeing Open Discussion, I thought it is a temporary problem..Maybe some file is replaced or some database is error?

I think that changing it is a bad idea simply because we're used to it being called one thing. There is no practical reason for changing the name, but there is a reason to keep it as the 'Free Webhosting, No Ads.' The title is more descriptive and makes it more obvious what is on the task bar.

I think that changing it is a bad idea simply because we're used to it being called one thing. There is no practical reason for changing the name, but there is a reason to keep it as the 'Free Webhosting, No Ads.' The title is more descriptive and makes it more obvious what is on the task bar.

maybe we should wait for admin for telling us what is going on
If for improvement, i think some design improvement is needed, the combination of blue and red in shoutbox is not matched (i think so). Then add more image to make it lively, like each sub forum has its representing image, and the thread or subforum text at top right should not be black or underline.

if it is aiming Open Discussion then the hosting features is much like being blurred, people see that this forum is discussing anything, and dont know in fact that it is for free hosting?

OpaQue is going back to the beginning and focusing on the forum establishment rather than a forum used to gain free web hosting.

So instead of coming to Xisto for free web hosting and finding other discussion topics, Xisto is focusing on general and specific discussion and providing a free web hosting solution to those who want to take it.

This has been OpaQue's view all along; it is just now that he is able to redirect Xisto to the right path.

As I have been informing and reiterating to new and old members--free web hosting is the byproduct of actively participating in Xisto forum, it is not the the main goal :lol:

OpaQue is going back to the beginning and focusing on the forum establishment rather than a forum used to gain free web hosting.

So instead of coming to Xisto for free web hosting and finding other discussion topics, Xisto is focusing on general and specific discussion and providing a free web hosting solution to those who want to take it.

This has been OpaQue's view all along; it is just now that he is able to redirect Xisto to the right path.

As I have been informing and reiterating to new and old members--free web hosting is the byproduct of actively participating in Xisto forum, it is not the the main goal :lol:

that makes a lot of sence, because if the focus is more on the discussios than their obligation to hosting there will be better posts, not just attempts to get more credit.

Glad to see soo many people noticing it in the first place.. Dunno if its good or bad .. because the layout n look of Trap has not changed much since it started..

Anyway, getting back to the question of "Why?".

1. Many Many people get stumped with the title of "free web hosting" being the parent category of topics like "gardening", "life-talk" etc.

2. When I started visiting other forums on the web, I really learned what a forum was... its basically a CATEGORY which people with like interests come to discuss about. However At Xisto, things were quite vast from the beginning.

3. I felt it is better to keep Xisto as an official Discussion forum of Xisto..(with a wierd name Xisto, ofcourse) rather than a FREE WEB HOSTING forum.

4. I want to promote the contribution by Guests visiting our forums.

Eg: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/23716-laptop-computers-what-is-the-best-laptop-computer-brand/

I thought as much as to why the name change but I would think adding the title "Xisto Open Discussion" would be more beneficial due to the fact that that dropping Xisto from the main link would have adverse affects in SEO. Especial due to the fact that hte topics and posts would have to be reindexed under the new name and not the url name and it could be just me but I have seen the PR rank go up and down through a firefox extension when I visit trap. Hopefully it doesn't affect it to much though.

shorter. better. :lol: (that's just the brief summary of my opinion on the matter.) MAIN or INDEX would have been shorter (since that is where the link goes anyway), but OPEN DISCUSSION works for me as changed from the very long one before. i think Xisto has firmly established itself already as a free web hosting provider, and i'm happy we can focus on establishing the forum community more. ^_^

SEO will not be harmed. Because Xisto in-itself is not a GREAT word that google loves. It has associated that word in all Free Hosting searches and it has always affected adversely rather than in a good way. However, the new Invision Version 3.0 is burning my behinds bad.. Most the optimizations and tweeks we did on this forum is now bundled in this new software already in a much better way (as its developed from core) :-) with an in-built reputation system.