xisto Community
A200

Overcoming Jetlag?

Hello all :) On Saturday afternoon I am heading off from Brisbane airport (GMT 10) to Singapore (GMT 8) in order to get to Paris (currently GMT 2). We leave Brisbane at 2:25PM, arrive Singapore at 8:30PM (or around that, in GMT 8) and then leave Singapore at 11PM to arrive in Paris at 6:40AM (GMT 2). When we arrive in Paris it will be the equivalent of 2PM Australia time. Now I imagine that first day will be pretty horrible as the first thing we do is go up the Eiffel Tower, and then spend the day actually going around doing things. I imagine after the 2nd day there or so I should be used to the local time, hopefully. Apparently going east-west is better than going west-east?But coming back apparently will be horrible- leave Paris at 10PM, arrive Singapore 6 or 7PM and leave Singapore at 11PM to arrive in Brisbane at 9:30AM, I cant remember the exact times so these are estimates.However the day we arrive back home is the last day of holidays, as the next day we have school. Will I be able to stay awake to go to school, as I assume I will be used to Paris time? I have never been to a timezone that drastically different so I am scared of the effects. When I come home should I go straight to bed, or stay awake until the normal bedtime of Brisbane? Any tips or help needed to combat this experience is wanted :)ThanksA200

Edited by A200 (see edit history)

Stay awake till about 9/10pm brisbane time and then go to bed, that way you settle in nicely, its the best way. Don't go to sleep too early because your wake up at night. Going to bed tired is good

I don't remember it off the top of my head, but there is a special diet which is supposed to help reduce jet lag. It had something to do with eating high-carb vs. high-protein meals, and you alternate them in a certain way. i'm sure if you google jet lag diet, something equivalent will pop up. I've never tried it, but supposedly it helps.

Stay awake till about 9/10pm brisbane time and then go to bed, that way you settle in nicely, its the best way. Don't go to sleep too early because your wake up at night. Going to bed tired is good

Ok, so when I arrive in Paris I go to bed at 10PM Paris time, or do I go to bed early Brisbane time? Last night I went to bed at 9:30pm, so I could get enough sleep. Its 6:40AM and our plane leaves at 2:45PM. So when I arrive in Paris 'tomorrow morning' (6:55AM Paris time, 2:55PM Brisbane time (tomorrow) which is 'tomorrow afternoon' here, I go to bed early and tired so by monday I should be used to the time difference?

I don't remember it off the top of my head, but there is a special diet which is supposed to help reduce jet lag. It had something to do with eating high-carb vs. high-protein meals, and you alternate them in a certain way. i'm sure if you google jet lag diet, something equivalent will pop up. I've never tried it, but supposedly it helps.

Diet? I need to do a diet? :)

Not sure about the Jet-lag thing, but be sure to read this Topic before you fly: http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?shoc=60749=And enjoy yourself...

Thanks, that post was useful!

A200

Just a suggestion it worked for me when not sleeping for a couple of days and returning to normal times, try sleeping for a bit, maybe 2 hours when you get back, just enough so you will last til night. Avoid coffee as much as it appeals to you.The next day you will be a bit tired, but you will be slightly more accustomed to our time.This worked for me, it wasn't quite the same situation, but its just a suggestion, good luck and enjoy paris.