xisto Community
Hooligan

What's The Highest Known Processor Speed Achieved? HIGH SPEED PROCESSOR - FASTEST PROCESSOR

Up to 8+ GHz

What's The Highest Known Processor Speed Achieved?

Replying to iGuest

https://www.engadget.com/2007/01/24/pentium-4-overclocked-to-8ghz-lets-see-your-fancy-core-2-try-t/

The above link provides a screenshot of CPU-Z showing a Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 631 overclocked to 8000.1 MHz. This was not just a BIOS overclock either - Windows was running, and they did get CPU-Z up and running. I'd say that's verification of something a bit higher than 6.57GHz.

-reply by KillerTruffle

I'd say that's verification of something a bit higher than 6.57GHz.

How can u argue with facts that were given almost a year ago. i'm sure when iGuest said:

The greatest record ever archived, (and it has been confirmed) is 6.57GHZ and that was running in BIOS.

it was true at the time. Technology is moving and a lot has happened between October 7, 2007 and July 22, 2008.

intel fastest speed achievedWhat's The Highest Known Processor Speed Achieved?

There was a clock speed at 10.2Ghz! intel pentium 4. It was cooled using liquid nitrogen.Thats the fastest speed achieved!!

-reply by powermicro

14.3 GHzWhat's The Highest Known Processor Speed Achieved?

The highest ever is 14.3 GHz - read about it here:

Vnunet.Com/vnunet/news/2190349/ibm-launches-world-fastest

If you wish to know the worlds fastest processor clock it isn't measured in Ghz. It is measured in something called Petaflops. This type of recording is much faster than any commercial processor will achieve any time soon. It is used for super computers and that is the only place you can currently find this speed

If you wish to know the worlds fastest processor clock it isn't measured in Ghz. It is measured in something called Petaflops. This type of recording is much faster than any commercial processor will achieve any time soon. It is used for super computers and that is the only place you can currently find this speed

FLOPS - floating-point operations per second

peta - a prefix in the metric system standing for 10^15

Clock rate- refers to the number of cycles per unit of time (usually seconds)

The original post is talking about clock rates, which is measure by its frequency, or hertz. FLOPS has more to do with a processor's ability to perform instructions, which take into account its' clock rate and many other factors such as its' architecture, instruction set, the system its running on, and even the task it is running (smarter use of caches can improve FLOPS by dozens of magnitudes). You can't really talk about FLOPs between processors without taking into account many other things, but clock rate is essentially set for a processor since it is an atribute of it.

If you want to go into the category of measuring processor 'speed' based on flops, CPUs wouldn't even be in the race.

As you mentioned, super computers are in the petaflop range, but many of those super computers actually use a mix of GPUs, GPGPUs, and CPUs to achieve that speed (infact, most of the performance actually comes from the GPUs).

GPUs tend to have much, MUCH, higher FLOPS than CPUs (on the magnitude of 10-100x currently): For comparisson, a i7-3960x has a 64.9275 GFLOPs rating, https://vrworld.com/2011/11/14/review-intel-core-i7-3960x-and-intel-x79-dx79si/?pageid=5

while a Nvidia GTX 680 has a 3090 GFLOPs rating. http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/36509-nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-2gb-graphics-card/?page=3

These two are pretty much the high end cpu/gpus for 2012, but the trend of GPUs outpacing CPUs in flops have been like this for years.

But since this post has been talking about CPUs, and clock rates, the fastest CPU I've heard of is currently an AMD Bulldozer running at 8580 MHz. https://www.engadget.com/2011/11/04/bulldozer-world-record-re-broken-by-andre-yang-with-a-8-58ghz-vi/

Well i have a Gateway desktop and it has a 3.47 Ghz Processor but the thing is 4 years old. And nothing modified to it.

At first, we were looking at a topic about top speeds actively used but seeing that it is only about who has the highest / fastest.. So far, it is AMD in the lead with 8.429 GHZ . It was done by them to display the strength of their "FX" chips. It was pretty flashy a performance to say the least :XD: with Nitrogen and helium involved. This world record was set in September 2011 and I don't think anyone has surpassed yet.

Currently in 2013, the highest overclock is 8.79GHz which was achieved using an AMD FX-8350 and ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard using 2.064V and liquid nitrogen to chill it. This was all done by Andre Yang.