xisto Community
dimumurray

Google Releases Browser Aka Chrome Beta release

i simply wish that google could have provided a full installation download instead of a setup download which had to grab bits and pieces of the installation online afterwards. i was thinking at first: WOW, a 475KB browser download! clicked it to install, but NO, it had to connect to the internet again to complete downloading google chrome installer! i was a bit disappointed at that since i have a "very limited" bandwidth (a poor man's dialup :(). although a progress bar is indicated, it would have been helpful to know how much more i need to successfully download (in percentage or in MBs left) the whole thing.

as i had expected, i experienced a download error in completing setting up chrome. the downloaded file failed verification --> Error Code = 0x80040508, that much is what i got. :) of course, there is a link there which asked me to HELP ME FIX THIS. but no amount of clicking gave any fix. :( the other thing i can click is CANCEL, so that's what i did. will just have to redownload it later. an excited albeit frustrated potential chrome beta user, that's me at the moment. GOOGLE, hear my plea! :D

---

UPDATE: after some intensive googling, i found a full standalone installer download for google chrome. :( if you are having problems with failed verification, as i did above, simply download the full standalone version. it's what the 475kb setup file you initially download grabs later when you attempt to install the browser, and the full standalone version is about 7.8mb. :) it's a LEGIT/authentic download, and links from the google servers.

I must admit Chrome is slipping from my top list now...on another forum im on when typing the middle of a word (if i missed a letter or whatever) it appears to have INSERT on (all the letters after the cursor disappear as though being written over) but alas, this is not true, the letters simply turn invisible and re-appear a few seconds later. Very odd. Also i have word or parts of words disappearing every now and then. Rather annoying...not only that but it appears not to have a community. The FF community is excellent, sharing bug reports to patch em quick, posting tips and tricks, posting addons etc... But Chrome has none of this.... A VERY bad move. No addons means i wont use it if it stays this way in public release. Not only that but it doesnt have RSS feeds like FF does. And the settings are VERY limited. If these issues are resolved in the full release i shall be an avid user. Otherwise i shant use it.

The design alone has turned me off from this browser, regardless if it has a 75/100 in the Acid 3 test and it can pass the Acid 2 test. The bookmark importation is buggy and what I really dislike hte most is that for each new tab you make it creates a .exe task in the task manager and so your sucking up a lot more juice if you have multiple tabs open. Of course that is done so people don't have to worry about losing everything if it crashes. Lets forget about the stealing now, google already tole from Microsoft with that incognito idea and of course the built in developer controls which again IE8 has.I will say it has its positives though and that is fast, I like that built in task manager, and taking a bit from firefox 3 they pretty much got rid of the drop url bar and used the smart search when you type in a website. I also like the fact there is more room to see a website. Other then that google's browser is not good enough to make a threat it will have to some serious work in order to get past Safari and odds are this browser will see itself only making a home in cellphones especially with the Android SDK. Of course with all the over hype and various article that time will only tell, but I will say this though, beta 2 better make a huge improvement or it will be just another browser trying to get famous.Personally I say google was better off developing their own browser engine then using a current one, but I highly doubt it though.

:) Then I think Google Chrome is an epic fail. :) I uninstalled it just a few minutes ago, because of some weird things happened to some text I did.

beta 2 better make a huge improvement or it will be just another browser trying to get famous.

Too true.

I like the UI to be honest, its a bit weird having it full screen like that as i always disable those sort of "remove title bar" settings in all my programs. It feels almost vista like and at the same time slightly mac/*nix so i dont know where they based their UI but theres no doubt in my mind theyve tried to remove the OS from the equation. Aside from the task bar at the bottom there is no indication of operating system and to be hones the task bar seems to blend into the UI of chrome very well.

I also like the multi tasking abilities. I have 2gb RAM so a few extra Ks isnt too much worry, and as they explain you have a much lower chance of memory leaks affecting the stability of the system as each part of the allocated RAM is freed completely when the tab is closed, unlike some browsers where it might defrag and get stuck. I can see this being VERY popular in booths and at work places as it is more secure and stable, and if the browser is being used for 5-6 hours straight with no restarting the loss of RAM that other browsers could cause could really be a hindrance. Also if they bring it out on the other OS's itll be a neat and easy browser for all computers, which currently isnt available. All cross-OS browsers look very different, but i think Chrome might well look and feel identical which is a bonus.

You know what just now thinking about it, I have a feeling that IE8 is doing this as well, but I don't remember reading anything about it but all I knew is that I had several iexplorer.exe's going and only one tab, odds are one them belong to the privacy explorer. However, since IE8B2 was causing me problems I had to uninstall it so I don't know if that is the case or not.

I don't really use Internet Explorer, so I don't really care what happens to it. On the other hand, I personally say, It is ok for some stuff, I mean...Internet Explorer 7+ above allows you to load 2 or more websites at once, and it has a Content Advisor password protection to certain categories for the Internet. :)-Sky

With a browser that was designed to be very different from others you can't think of 100% compatibility. Web developers are definitely going to have compatibility issues to deal with. Until such a time when the browser's developers have found ways to to get around the issues. Being the same Google that has turned a deaf ear to us when we berg for Gmail folders you cannot be sure if they will give a damn about the problems developers will face.

I have been using chrome for 12 hours now but I haven't seen any problems yet accept that it looks dangerously beautiful!

Isn't it funny that Chrome's dictionary does not have the "google"? It highlights it in red, right click on it you get sugestions like "goggle", "googly", "go ogle" and nothing like "

Add to dictionary".

It's high time they know they made "google" an English word.

google(goo.gle)1. quickly search the web 2. do no(or less) evil 3. bus. make Steve Balmer turn in his sleep 4.math. 10100

I knew this browser wasn't going to be good from the second I heard about it. :) It gave me problems last night too. Even though it was a beta product, but Google needs to make it more better. :)

Hey.......I downloaded and tried google chrome ...just after it was released...and I found it really awsome....its cool and simple....has very few icons..and the look is just attractive than any other browser...its the beta version ..so we expect some bugs...but it looks good and is working fine for me....the homepage gives u shortcut to last 9 visited sites...ur recent bookmarks...and the recent closed...tabs..and one thing I like most is ..that if ur one tab..stops..responding...this doesn't effect the others...and this a feature...u must have thought of..for me ...it is proving to be a nice experience with chrome....tell urs........

I have also downloaded and installed Google chrome. Its look is cool and have many good features like incognito window for secret surfing. But as it is newly launched so many addons are missing, so I am still using firefox.Google chrome is also fast, infact it is the fastest of the lot.I would recommend to use it but after some time when its addons are available. Also would like to hear from someone who has used new IE 8.

Hello everyone, The first day chrome was released, I immediately downloaded it. My personal review, in comparison to fx3 and ie7:Look: chrome has a veery cool look, putting the tabs in the windows caption placeglitches: chrome, in this beta release, has some small glitches, like:Doesn't support web page scrollingdoesn't have many addons atmspeed: to be honest, chrome was really faster then ie of fx. Maybe that is just my opinion. What do YOU think about chrome??ps: I think that all of these little glitched will be fixed on the other release

Yeah. I agree mostly with that, it certainly looks pretty cool, but its got some noticeable errors in it, like that web page scrolling you said. It's only in its beta though, so I suppose you should give it some time to fix itself up. I still prefer firefox overall, and Google Chrome doesn't exactly have a big or noticeable speed advantage over Firefox, so I'd rather still use Firefox. I guess I'm simply much more used to it. After all, old habits die hard, and I still love the plugins I have for Firefox.Oh, but Google Chrome's Preference options and Bookmarks etc. transfer option is REALLY handy, I'll give Google that one.

Yeah. I agree mostly with that, it certainly looks pretty cool, but its got some noticeable errors in it, like that web page scrolling you said. It's only in its beta though, so I suppose you should give it some time to fix itself up. I still prefer firefox overall, and Google Chrome doesn't exactly have a big or noticeable speed advantage over Firefox, so I'd rather still use Firefox. I guess I'm simply much more used to it. After all, old habits die hard, and I still love the plugins I have for Firefox.
Oh, but Google Chrome's Preference options and Bookmarks etc. transfer option is REALLY handy, I'll give Google that one.

yes chrome is good, but i have encountered it weakness, it cant render openwysiwyg which is widely used by developer
and then chrome fails with security bug, you can google or read in other thread.
but personally i think the design is good with blue color and tab above, so the browser area is large and we can perceive more information in that large screen, also with the beautiful design