xisto Community
dimumurray

Google Releases Browser Aka Chrome Beta release

I done some thinking, about the popup page which is opened when click, some popup is used for inputing, while others are banner, afraid that they will try to block return value from the window? Because it has separated process and each has its security? And it says that the javascript is using engine, okay well, is that engine really faster than current?

The pop-ups will be controlled in the likeliness that Internet Explorer and Firefox blocks popups. You would figure that unwarranted popups would occur when loading a page, but if it is user-induced, the pop-up will still come up (because the browser will "know" you clicked on a link to bring up the pop-up as opposed to blocking pop-ups that come up as a result of an onLoad JavaScript function).

As for V8, yes, from what I understand the new engine will be faster as it will take less time in performing tasks because of the method in which it tackles tasks. As it mentioned, JavaScript is classless; therefore, anyone can make up a script to create an object and assign properties to it. If it's a common object like a sound or an array and V8 detects it as such, instead of loading up default attributes for each new object it will assign common attributes to that object relative to what the object actually is. This will cut load times, if I'm understanding it correctly. Also, when JavaScript is looking for items, it looks down a tree, going from the root to the element to the object to the property to the attribute (which is an object-oriented hierarchy). From what I'm understanding, instead of scanning through an entire tree of objects to find something that it needs, with V8 a unique identifier will be assigned to each object, so that searching for items will be significantly faster when viewed as a whole.

The whole thing is still in beta. They'll be working this whole thing out so that hopefully on public release, everything works faster seamlessly. I wouldn't expect any miracles overnight.

CHROME IS LIVE!!!!!

See https://www.google.com/chrome/ for download!!!

Let us know what you think :)

Unfortunately for some reason it says I can't run the Setup. Apparently I do not have permission to install this program please contact your system administrator. I get that error for some reason :)Has anyone else downloaded this yet? If you have, how good is it, is it worth me trying to get the setup to run for me? And another thing, why would Google create their own Internet browser? :) Firefox is good enough, and is better then Internet Explorer, although I have installed Internet Explorer 8.Can Google Chrome use plugins, and addons like Firefox too?-Sky

you will need to be logged in as the administrator to install it. Presumably you have different user accounts for different people in your house? If so log into the admin account, probably your dads or something, and try it there.Im downloading it as we speak. It is slow, probably because of the huge server load they must be having right now. And yes its worth getting! It will be more secure than FF and damn you got IE8?! Noooooo!WOOHOOO!!! I am hereby using CHROME! Its pretty damn good, seems a little slow to load pages compared to FF but i guess it hasnt cached any of the images etc.. yet so its bound to be a little slow.It also spellchecks these fields without an addon :)

Notice from jlhaslip:
Merged consecutive posts

Dude, we have a total of four PC's connected to the same Router in our house. One of witch is in my own room, and is my computer. The other 2 are downstairs in the Office, or the "Study" as we call it, and the other one is upstairs.So, basically I am my computers Administrator.

I am replying from Chrome right now.So far, I'm not even realizing that I'm using a different browser until I actually go out and do something with the browser... which seems limited and yet I know there's much more than meets the eye under the hood. The largest difference I'm seeing right now is more space. As in much, much more viewing and browsing. Chrome gets rid of the humongous toolbars that eat up viewing space... and you can access everything via several buttons on the right side of the address bar. Tabbed browsing and spell-check is of course here. Our familiar Mozilla shortcuts are here. It's actually pretty darn nice so far.I played around with some of the things you can fool around with, and there's even a developer's tool kit built into Chrome. Viewing the source of a page yields what looks to be Google's own text editor. I love how it replicates Task Manager with being able to see and actually manage each individual tab as a process, just as it describes within the comic. You can visually see how much memory each tab takes up. I'm already liking it.Just saved a picture to see the download toolbar, which is nicely placed at the bottom of the browser and easily closed. A nice big arrow comes up to let you know your download is finished, which fades away. You can search your downloads just as you can with FireFox 3.The typing of keywords works too as it explains in the comic. Granted that I only went to MySpace so far, but typing in MySpace will yield MySpace. I typed in Xisto and it comes up as a Google search for your search term... not sure how to get it to go straight to what I viewed last at Xisto or even to go straight to Xisto, but I'm still learning. :) Chrome has its own titlebar and skin to it... it won't come up as another normal application window. A nice touch... that awaits skinning. :) So far, I'm not disappointed, and I'm actually feeling like I have the best of viewing the Internet at full screen without sacrificing my beloved toolbars. It feels nice... I'll post more as I play around with it.

The comic says it does have addon capability, i havent found it yet but i think it does. Though this is just a beta so they might not have enabled that yet.Gah, what the hell! No RSS support 80 Bad idea google! Better get it sorted!

Edited by shadowx (see edit history)

Looks great.Love the default page - it'll make browsing a lot easier! The fact that pages are in full screen by default is a great addition too! Only complaint at the moment is that I can't press the middle mouse button and move down the mouse to scroll, but if it's a bug it should be fixed soon?

With Google Chrome Browser, web developers have been thrown extra work of testing and debugging. Although, I think Chrome would be supporting the latest w3c rules. And its open source nature can make good competition for Firefox (now, should I mention IE here!). But one thing is that, Google has been very bold to make its debut right in the middle of browser wars.Two giant opensource browsers competing. Something different. Don't you tkink?

With Google Chrome Browser, web developers have been thrown extra work of testing and debugging.

Not at all. Chrome uses KHTML/WebKit. As every good developer is already writing their sites so they work in Konqueror, Safari and other KHTML/WebKit browsers it shouldn't be a problem unless Google have badly implemented it.

this is the comic: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Its a good read!

And i havent tried Chrome yet, it isnt released in the UK yet, i dont know about anywhere else

finally downloaded the chrome beta, it seems good, the UI feel good and it really fast like FF. Now IE has more competitors than it could handle, i still why the IE is so slow loading, always crash, and the multi tab just do few good points about.

Hey guys, Google's new browser 'Chrome' just came out and I want to know what you people think of it.I think it is pretty cool. When I first loaded it up I was pretty disappointed. But now that I have looked into it more, I have realised its potential for the less tech savvy. It is an extremly nice simple interface with very little clutter. It has features similar Opera's speed dial. This browser looks like it could be the begining of an easy internet experiance for new computer users. I will stick with Opera for now, but I am still impress by this application.Your ideas? Sam.

Who ever said Google can't design?
Guys, Google Chrome is a work of art!
The thing is beautiful and awesome. For something that is less than a week old, I think this browser will give Firefox a run for their money.

Among many things, Google has written its own javascript engine called V8, and has addressed security and browser stability by placing the contents of each tab in its own sandbox

This is said to make sure that only tabs crash not the browser itself.

* Googles browser will be open source; * Chrome will include a JavaScript Virtual Machine built from scratch;
* Tabs will be moved around;
* The browser has an address bar with auto-completion.
* Theres a privacy feature like IE has;
* And Google aims to be proactive about fighting phishing and malware attacks.

I just love this thing. I'm using it right now and I haven't seen any problem.
Do you think this was a smart move by google?