xisto Community
burgen

Desktop Search, Google Vs Msn

Now that both MSN and google have made public their desktop search tool, although beta, let take a look at them.Google is the first one to make the idea become true, hands down to google. It is simple, fast, just as google web search. However, I don't like the idea that intergrating the desktop search in the web browser. Also GDS takes too much memories, probably one of the reasons is the intergration to browser. No pdf file searching. No customizing of folder. There are a lot of room for google to improve.MSN's destop search is as fast, the indexing is the fastest among varous desktop search tools. also you can customize which folders you want it to index. It taks far less memories. It also index and search pdf files when you install an addional abobe filter. But I don't like the intergration of desktop search with toolbar. I never used MSN toolbar and I have to desable it in IE add-on management. I don't like that MSNDS don't give preview of the search results, only the firts several lines of the file. I am an extensive pdf and word searcher, without a preview on the terms I search, it is very hard to find the exact file I want quickly. MSN also need to introduce the "search as type" feature and the search history.Emails, I don't use outlook, and both only deal with outlook/OE. They need to add support to other programs like firefox, lotus notes (which I use), et al. None of them support MSN messenger history, which I found surprising.They need to establish file open history, many times I was searching the same file not long ago I searched.

Personally, I believe that Google Desktop is better than MSN. Below is my complete analysis on why.Download Speed:Google has a faster database, which allows quicker downloads, although both programs are small on your computer.Location:Google Desktop allows you to choose if you want a floating sidebar, deskbar, or a sidebar, while MSN only allows you to choose if you want it on your taskbar, or as a floating text box.Search Quality:Being the leader in searches, Google has a wider variety of web searches, because of popularity.Annoyance:If you choose the deskbar, it is annoying whenever your mouse accidentally scrolls over to the right of your monitor and Google Desktop comes out, but if you want it to come out so you can read data, Google Desktop has a better base theme.Overall:Google Desktop: 9/10 (Quick POP-UP when cursor moves to right end of monitor)MSN: 7.5/10 (See above)

Im always a google fan, plus everyhting msn has come with adds, google however has no adds.

Google seems to be best at everythign they do, email, toolbars, programs, search... Altrough in the future there might appear company's beating Google, I think they will continue to be very strong with their products in the near future. Espessially since they bring out new products on a very active base...About the Google Desktop Search, I like it very much. When I first got Mozilla Firefox I thought I had enough use of the Google search box, but the Google Desktop has so much more use... Microsoft doesn't even get close to the quality of Google Desktop search, because Microsoft uses microsoft search which sucks compared to Google search in my opinion :)

Having not used MSN Desktop Search extensively this may not be a fair comparision. My favourite of the two is Google Desktop Search, this choice is based pretty much solely on the 'Quick Results' feature, which I know MSN has an equivelant, its just more clutterd and less intuitive than the Google offering. That and the sidebar any way. I also thought that from using the two of them that Google Desktop Search seems to be noticably faster in returing results (although I have read reports that Coppernic Desktop Search is faster, but lacks a similarly intuitive 'Quick Results'). Then again I do pretty much choose the Google option for all available applications (apart from online Bookmarks, they pale when compared to the mighty del.icio.us; any way thats off topic so just ignore it.)

THis is old and incorrectDesktop Search, Google Vs MsnThis thread is so outdated!Windows Search can search out of the browser, doesn't neeed a dumb MSN toolbar and is something of a membory hog until you defragment after it indexes.Google Desktop Serach is not spyware except they do tend to not listen and just invade privacy by ratting you out on whatever you search for so they can increase their priority on it.Windows one is better. 

-reply by Harry Manning

hey google is the best as its having many services rather than msn,and one more thing google has a product something called desktop onei want to tell that the desktop edition sends all the information of your desktop to the google employees as written in a magzineand please dont ask me which magzine because i have read it online and that also it was illegal to read onlineso all the best

As far as Google desktop search is considered i would not go for it, this dont mean that i am against google search. My day starts with Google ( i mean the nirmal https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl ) , but google Desktop search is concerned it is going to be a back running process in the CPU which will definitely occupy some space in the main memory. When the main memory gets loaded, the performance of the computer is reduced to a greater extent.Just think !! is it necessary to run a process continuously ( Back running process ) which we are not gonna use always , once in a while we are gonna use google search. Not the entire time the comp is on. On the other hand we cant forsake certain back running process , eg. Antivirus software , this is yet another back running process and this too occupies a considerable amount of space in the memory , but this is highly essential.If you wanna search something within your computer too then just take pains to open the search provided by the operating system, which will occupy less space in the memory

Edited by nirmaldaniel (see edit history)

A Very Important Point MissedDesktop Search, Google Vs Msn

When comparing the modern 2009 versions of Windows Desktop Search and Google's product, it is important to note that the Microsoft program simply outperforms Google.  A quick search is rather useless if it misses the data you are searching for.  Google neglects nearly all metadata and is not nearly as thorough as Windows Desktop Search.

Copernic is a fairly good alternative; however, you must pay about $50 for the pro version to get similar features as Windows Desktop Search. 

Google may be slightly quicker but I would rather wait another tenth of a second to get a better search result.

-reply by Systems Engineer