xisto Community
serverph

Send Your Name To The Moon! The deadline is July 25, 2008 for the submission of names

by the end of this year (if fate permits), my name will be on the moon! and so can yours, earthling! :D

Send YOUR NAME to the MOON! (and extra-terrestrial explorers will find it soon on the moon in the distant feature... :D)

Sign up to send your name to the moon. Names will be collected and placed onboard the LRO spacecraft for its historic mission bringing NASA back to the moon. You will also receive a certificate showcasing your support of the mission.

The deadline is July 25, 2008 for the submission of names. LRO's objectives are to find safe landing sites, locate potential resources, characterize the radiation environment, and demonstrate new technology.

LRO, by the way, stands for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter commissioned to conduct investigations and preparations for supporting lunar human exploration in the coming years. for more about the LRO mission, go to https://lunar.gsfc.nasa.gov/.

and to sign up with your name before the deadline, go to http://lro.jhuapl.edu/NameToMoon/index.php :) a certificate of participation awaits you.

Cool, I sent my name to the moon! So, what do they mean by sending your name to the moon? Is it like they write it on the moon (highly unlikely) or like bring a piece of paper up there or something?

Edit: OK. I found out what they do exactly with the names. I found out by checking out the site about LRO

The names will be placed on a microchip that will be installed on the LRO spacecraft and travel to the moon. The deadline for submitting names is June 27, 2008.

My name is also on the moon. :) Although, I'm not sure why NASA are paying so much money to send a spacecraft up to the moon with a microchip containing people's names on it. It sounds more like a novelty than anything that bears any real importance.

i'm positive they are simply doing this project of sending names to the moon so as to bring NASA's space efforts to the public. they get an extra media mileage, and they generate public interest and anticipation for the original LRO project mission's success. :)

a novelty of sorts perhaps, but you know how space scientists and engineers are... they have their own quirks. :D perhaps like the coders and software programmers of all kinds placing their easter egss on their products, so do the NASA scientists and engineers also need their own brand of fun (in connivance with the human race, for the benefit of aliens). :D

You do not seriously think "Blue Bear" will be sent to the moon? Haha, that would be awesome. But why are they doing this? There must be a reason when they are spending all this money on a project like this.

Serverph most likely has it on the dot with the reason why they're doing it.I just put my name on it for giggles. Who knows? If any or a lot of us become famous, that chip will go for a lot on eBay. :) That and you can say that you own the moon because your name's on it...

That is cool. I sent my name to the moon! :D Wouldn't it be weird if in a thousand years or something, people found my name on the moon and they thought I was a Goddess or something? to dream... :)

Yeah I signed up for this as well with my real name, Saint Michael and Evil Spammer :). That last one I could resist, anyway, to think that part of me will be able to leave this planet is good enough, who knows maybe I opt for a cremation and then get my ashes sent into orbit. Of course now there are some delays in the actual flight to the moon so who knows it might not happen at all, but it should be interesting to know how many names have been listed so far.