xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saitunes

Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

There are other options peeps, not only Logic and ProToolsPro Tools Or Logic 8?

Though Logic and ProTools are the best, in my opinion, there are other extremely powerful and affective options for a DAW (digital audio workstation) program.

Such as MOTU's Digital Performer - I started out with this program, and it's pretty user friendly and very well set up. It works seamlessly with MOTU's 828mk3 interface. With these two items... You can do anything you can imagine. DP is made mostly for video to music work, but works beautifully with just recording.

A decent, and affordable DAW for PC is Cakewalk. Most DAW's have like a try-it-for-30-days type thing, I believe, this would be the best route. Just try out each one.

To fully utilize a DAW like Logic, you need a good interface. One that works perfectly with logic is Apogee's Ensemble, though it's very expensive at almost 2K, and works best on a Mac. But, there are plenty affordable interfaces out there in the low hundreds that work fine.

This is not an interface related post, I apologize. A DAW mostly depends on what type of music you want to do. There are some specifically for electronic music, though they all can do about anything, but have many differences, obviously.

Logic 9, which just came out, has some incredible guitar amp emulators that sound incredibly stunning. If you don't have much guitar hardware, and want to get some hot sounds, go with Logic 9. It's only $500.

I use DP, Logic, and ProTools, and have separate interfaces for each program. I do recording in Logic, sometimes put some of those recorded tracks in DP to use some of its hot plug-ins and other nidbits, and then I always do some clean post-production work in ProTools - which I feel its best at.

Just F around! Try it all! Go nuts! Learn everything you can get your hands on! - The best way to get good at stuff like this.

Peace.

Pro Tools or Logic 8Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

I actually have both!  I first fooled around with Pro Tools and I'll tell you that you can do soooooo much with it than Logic.  The editing capabilities are endless and it makes editing and mixing a breeze.  Now for Logic...  The instruments are better than Pro Tools.  50 gigs of instruments and sounds quality.  Logic's instruments sound great!  But, Pro Tools is INDUSTRY STANDARD!  

Here's the questions you must ask yourself:

Do you want to do this for a job or career someday? Yes = Pro Tools

Do you want to make beats and experiment with a lot of different sounds?  Yes = Logic

Do you want to do both above questions? Yes = Buy Both.  There are plenty of producers out there that use Logic and import the tracks into Pro Tools for editing.  It's expensive, but worth it.

Which should you do first? Get Logic first and if you get really into it, top it off with Pro Tools.

-reply by chris almazan

Not much to add, but...Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

Most of what has already been said is true, as I have both programs.

I absolutely love the ease and intuitive nature of Logic Pro 8 vs. Pro Tools (Took me nearly two days of registering and activating crap-o-la for Pro Tools, and to find out not all of the "added bonus stuff" works.  BFD still wont work!)  The sounds in Logic are beautiful and to a trained ear, very close to being stellar compared to the Pro Tools stuff, which sounds very hard and bright, no warmth.

I really don't like the industry standard argument, because Logic can be used correctly to provide just as good if not better results than PT.  A lot of people have forgotten that not to long ago, when artists went in to record, there were no such things like this and had to be able to PERFORM the song flawlessly and REPEATEDLY until the right vibe, sound and take was captured.  Todays artists have become horribly lazy and the music today has suffered to no end.  There will never be another Beatles.  The greatest thing you can learn and instill into yourself is becoming as good a musician as you can be, learning how to make the programs work with you, not for you.  Use them as tools, not super glue and duct tape to fix bad vocals or crappy guitar parts.

Go, young musicians and artists, into the jungleland and prevail mighty and bold, conquering the world with new ideas, fresh bright and glorious!

-reply by johnerockstar

T-pain said he mixes and edits in protools on an hd systemPro Tools Or Logic 8?

He said he exports all his logic tracks into protools for mixing and editing he uses a protools hd system.  He said it in an article I think he uses logic for the creative process and for some plugins. 

-reply by Fallan Soldier

hey, so evidently Cubase is similar to logic, but runs on windows.  You can also check out Ableton Live, but try out the demo first.  It has a different feel, so your particular workflow style may not be complimented.. Good luck!

-reply by Eric Hahn

Logic destroys Pro Tools PERIOD...End of story.  For $499 plus decent gear (interface $200-500, monitors $199-500, a mic $199-500 and headphones),  you could start making hit songs with stellar instruments, loops and plug-ins. So in essence, with $1500 max you are in business with everything Apple has to offer with no limitations or a watered down version of their software. 

However with Digi, a similiar setup is $1549 (Digi 003 without mic, monitors, etc) and you don't have a plethora of instruments nor plug-ins.  Also you are limited with 48 tracks which is fine if you only work at home.  But suppose you wanted to upgrade your system because your needs are growing?  To go PT HD1 it will run you between $7000 -$9000 for core card and interface.  This is no mole hill jump. 

With Logic, all you have to do is add more Ins/Outs via interfaces and you're good.  Or if you wanted to be safe in recording a live band, you could do what other professionals are doing and invest in a Alesis HD24 $1599 (or 2-3) to record 24 tracks and then import them into Logic. 

My point is that for $7000 you could get other high-end out-gear and become more versatile than spending $7000 for just a card, dvd (software) and interface.  That's just STUPID!  Unless you trying to become a commercial studio... Then you must be like "the Jones."

-reply by Naluvs

Pro Tools or Logic 8Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

I Use pro tools for my needs. Logic is a great program and has many capabilities, and pro tools is also a great program and many capabilities. I personally think that if you are an artist and do nothing but recording over pre-made tracks then pro tools is a great program. Logic,garage band, cool edit pro, FL are great for instrument/midi tracks and things of that nature. Cubase is almost up there with the big boys with just a little more tweaks. Many would choose cubase over both pro tools and Logic simply because they know how to work with it. ANY program that you have you MUST DO YOUR HOMEWORK, there are programs out there that run $100.00 and people come out with radio quality music. If you do your homework on the program that you are working with you will learn to know that you can really get about the same quality with MANY programs than the guy next door with Pro Tools HD.

Pro Tools: Is what many in the industry use,NOT ALL but many, it can be a bit pricey but "You pay for what you get!"it has many effects for mixing and a rough mastering, Reason I say rough is because you really CANT master unless you have all the right equipment and that is way up the price charts!!

I love pro tools and regardless of what anyone says or has said it depends on how much you are willing to learn about it to get the quality you want.

SO DO YOUR HOMEWORK FOR EITHER Gift Colyer 

I have spent over $23,000.00 on equipment and software and I am talking with record labels right now. It all depends on how dedicated you are with it really.

-reply by Gift Colyer

actually,Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

Actually, Logic also requires the purchase of hardware... The purchase of a mac.  A friggen big purchase.I paid $400 for my m-audio profire 610 interface and it runs pro tools m-powered.  Device is actually rather high qual and can record at 192hz, double what most others can do--- assuming you have software that can go that high.So far I'm very happy with Pro Tools 8 M-powered.  Only 250 bux, half the price of Logic.  Of course, pro tools 8 has the new midi edit capabilities, which was the only thing it wasn't previously strong in.The virtual instrument sounds, effect and filter sounds, and recording quality in pro tools are second to none for a DAW, which is why it is the industry standard.  Logic might be its equal in that regard, but not greater.  At this level, it really depends on the quality of work you put into it.  The pro tools virtual instruments have mostly flawless sound, I can say that.

-reply by Jeff

As far as recording software goes, I use Krystal software and Audacity ona windows xp operating system. All my recording is done 'live' and I don't use samples at all. As far as editing and vst effects go, Krystal and Audacity are both quite functional.Of course I've heard of pro tools, but you can't argue with the price ofthe software I'm using.As far as the mac goes, I've heard some amazing recordings done using garageband, which the mac comes with.I've learned, never trust an audio freak for what sounds goodfidelity wise. Instead,ask the average person who just likes listening to musicrather than deciphering audio signals.

Edited by networker (see edit history)

As a MIDI programmer when it was actually called, DCB, one thing I can tell you and that is, if live and breathe MIDI prgraming, than from what I have come to learn, MIDI is somthing that Pro Tools has not been big on in the past.

With  that said, dedicated MIDI programs who help to pioneer MIDI both hardware as well as software knew what a MIDI programmer really needed. Companies like Mark of The Unicorn, Cake Walk, Cuebase were immersed in the development of MIDI techology. With that said here is what you must consider before deciding of a program of any kind.

(1) Are you heavily involved in MIDI gear?

(2) Do you play and write most of your musical instruments on a keyboard?

(3) Do you hear music in your head that is beyond your ability to play live?

If your answer is "yes" to just one of these, than you require a MIDI based program that also offers real audio tracks and not the other way around.

Today most programs offer decent to excellent audio recording capabilities with MIDI as an after thought. However Logic 8 by Apple is MIDI intensive and by no means is MIDI an after thought with Logic 8.

FYI. Way back in the mid 1980s, Apple was one of the very first to pioneer MIDI which was actually called DCB back then. Apple from that day forward continued to recognise the importance of interfacing digital musical instruments and with such being the case, Apple's Logic Studio 8 is their continued ongoing effort to meet the demands of the most demanding musical composer.

If money is no object and MIDI is not a big deal to you, than Pro Tools is your animal. After all, Pro Tools is the top choice in major recording studios for real time recording. Remember that MIDI programming your songs is really about personal time, as MIDI programing is truly time intensive.

Since professional recording studio time costs mega bucks per each hour,  pro studios in general are not a conducive place to MIDI program songs from scratch... That is... Unless you own the studio like I do.

It's for this very reason why Pro Tools did not focus on MIDI Programing as a primary feature of their software and hardware. However Pro Toolsfrom from what I have read is now starting to take MIDI a lot more serious.

Thus you do not want Pro Tools if you lean on MIDI to put your music scores together. Don't get me wrong... As I am sure that Pro Tools does a decent job in regards to MIDI. Just that there are a lot of very important MIDI programing features that Pro Tools can overlook that you will sooner or later wish you had, some of which I have outlined below. Simply said, Pro Tools strength is not MIDI.

List of some must haves for MIDI musicians seeking MIDI software.

(1) Horizontal MIDI zoom, ESPECIALLY vertical MIDI zoom. (this is a big one!)

(2) Drop down menu of a wealth of MIDI program options when right clicking on individual MIDI note in the MIDI edit window. Example: Attack, Sustain, Retain, Decay, After Touch, Patch, Pitch Bender, etc. You need all of these options to make the MIDI instrument of choice sound authentic.

(3) Drag mouse cursor over MIDI notes by hand to hear notes in that given window. This is huge! If pro Tools does not allow for this, than Pro Tools is a bust for the hard core MIDI programer.

(4) 256 Assignable MIDI tracks. As you know, MIDI only goes up to 16 channels/tracks. After that you must use letters to assign more MIDI tracks. EXAMPLE: MIDI A1-16,  MIDI B1-16, MIDI C1-16, MIDI D1-16, MIDI E1-16, etc. Thus if you have lots of MIDI gear like I do, than 16 tracks will not work for you. If you want to quick and easy mixing of percussion tracks, you can easily use 8 to 12 MIDI tracks just for percussion alone!

The lesson learned here is simple. If you use MIDI programing as the foundation to putting your music togther like I do, than you want a MIDI based program that also offers real audio tracks side by side.

Keep in mind that real audio tracks put a HUGE demand on computer speed, where as MIDI does not. So get the most powerful computer money can buy. (Apple is the only way to go when it comes to audio and video.) After all, Apple computers have been used year after year for the making and mastering the biggest block busters of all time and Apple computers are still Hollywoods choice for the motion picture industry.

Pro Tools is more about audio recording, rather than MIDI recording. If you plan on working with your projects in major studios, than you have no choice but to buy Pro Tools, however I would not recommend Pro Tools LE as it's a stripped down version of Pro Tools full version. No doubt the MIDI side of Pro Tools LE will be stripped down as well and that is a big No-NO for MIDI based musicians.

For more information you will find me via YouTube user, LogicStudioMadness.

Best wish on your next MIDI score!

Cheers,

Midiman

So, I've read what everyone has written and thought I would add this.

It really comes down to what your needs are. If you are one that does a lot of midi songs, then I personally would go for logic. They have been in the midi game for a many years and are really good at it. If you are maily recording live instruments then I would go with Pro Tools. They are amazing for tracking and editing audio tracks.

Personally, I started out with Pro Tools le some 6 years ago with recording my acoustic songs and vocals. Just recently I have decided to get into Logic for their multitude of plugs and the great midi capabilities. I really like that they are both completely user friendly and are great for different things. I have been doing commercials and music for indi films for the last 2 years and have really found great things from both DAW's.

I don't think there is a need to knock either one. I think they are both great and they work great together. I record and edit my audio tracks in Pro Tools and then dump them into Logic and do the rest there. The plugs in logic are good and the free down loadable plugs are great as well.

So if you have the means ($1250.00 Canadian Dollars), I'd recommend both of them. But if you don't, then you have to look at what your needs are and choose from there.

Cheers.

PS: the benefit of having bought pro tools first, is that you are able to use the Pro Tools interface with Logic. ;)

Use both.Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

I would use both! You need them for different things.  Certainly if you are going to take your files to a studio, you will Pro-tools, but can do pre-production also in Logic.

-reply by Michael

Everybody here is going on about the midi benefits of pro tools and the massivesamples available with it, but are these real advantages? They are only advantages if you're not interested in using real musical instruments.There are a lot of people who refuse to, or at least try not to use parrotstyle midi and sampled music files. I'm one of them.Another thing people talk about is the great advantage of using software to doctor you're recorded take.What about say just re-recording a vocal where a notes just slightly out of pitch rather than'digitally tweaking it'. No wonder theres so many recordings that sound robotic.What has happened to the live feel of recorded music? Some people want to sound so elitist about whatever #$#$# they use.If you're any good as a musician at all, you really don't need all the toys.If you do, then go back to school. Learn you're instrument.

I used Pro Tools before its very complicated to use, as a matter of fact every music program is complicated to use except one i used recently known as Cool Edit Pro, also known now as an adobe program Adobe Audition. When i used both programs i noticed the increase of sound and effects. The sound quality in Cool Edit Pro was not as good as in Pro Tools, of course the interface device took place in that to. But i was able to do more things in Pro Tools better than Cool Edit Pro. I haven't given Logic a try but once i get a mac i will.9/10 For Pro Tools.

Real SimplePro Tools Or Logic 8?

If you are a beginner I advise you to start where your money allows you. I haven't used Logic so I know nothing about it. I have used Cubase, Nuendo, Acid Pro, Cakewalk, Sonar and Pro Tools. But I choose pro tools. There is no need for me to move up to Pro Tools HD unless you just have money to burn. As far as midi goes I have dabbled with the midi in Pro Tools and have had no problems and it's good that it records as "AUDIO" and not in the old midi form that you could not directly edit. I use Reason to produce my tracks and it works hand in hand with pro tools so why bring up the midi issue. Is pro tools hard to use? Just as hard as any other program that you have to learn how to use for the first time. I transitioned from Cubase to Pro Tools with no problems as far as the learning curve. So bottom line is what your bank account says dictates what system you buy and what your computer is capable of handling. Also the DAW itself doesn't dictate the sound quality because if you put garbage in then garbage comes out. Now your audio interface may make all the difference. Do your research.