xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saitunes

Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

I love Logic for music composing, the drum machine has really good and real sounding drums, a lot of free instruments like a digital pedalboard, amps modulator and thousands of loops.  

Ive been using Pro Tools for longer and I like it better for edition purpose.  The tools are really easy and efficient to use.  It's really easy for example to put a track back in the multitrack using its specific time stamp.  

I will not see why there is a diference in sound, it depends which soundcard you use and how good you are to make it sound good!

Oh and Logic is much cheaper to for what they give you..

Alex

RE: NetworkerPro Tools Or Logic 8?

It's a good point. A lot of musicians are just no good and need the special tools to make them sound better. But the tools they're talking about here is not just Melodyne or Antares for vocals, not just drumagog or EXS or whatever you're using to resample drums. The good stuff is like McDSP mastering plugs and adaptive limiters or multiband expanders that give your mix the extra oomph. If you're mixing hip-hop, dance, or 50% electronic-based music, get Logic. It's a hassle to mix in, and the faders are so stupid, but the bounce-in-place feature and midi transposing and editing options are spectacular. Not to mention the fact that it runs VST's and AU's whereas ProTools (For reasons beyond me) have never used VST plugs, which are the most common type of plugin. It drives me nuts not being able to use world-class plugins for such a world class program. Regardless. I am a protools guy because most of my music is based around acoustical recordings, and I am a stickler for timing and pitch so I work my musicians to the bone until I have the best possible take. This way, a slight sweetening with Melodyne is optional, not necessary, and the drums are tight and don't need to be replaced. The guitars are clear, punchy, suave, or whatever I'm lookin for without the need of a hundred amp simulators. 

If you like Jay Z, Logic. If you like Audioslave, Protools. That's pretty much it. 

-reply by Tokyo

Can i move between Logic Pro 9 and Pro ToolsPro Tools Or Logic 8?

A longtime friend and guitar player is laying down tracks on Logic Pro 9... He wants to collaborate with me on some of his compositions... I'd rather not buy a mac just to run Logic Pro. I have a heavy duty pc that that I'd like to go ahead and purchase and run Pro Tools on...Would he be able to save his work to a file that I could bring into Pro Tools and do my changes/additions/editing... Then send it back to him for any changes/additions/editing he wants to do... Then back to me... Then back to him...You get the picture I hope!Thanks in advance!

-reply by Joe Willis

Logic express questionPro Tools Or Logic 8?Posing a question for you,
If you were working with SMPTE/midi/Atari/Mackie digital recorder/Mackie outboard mixer and then to DAT...How the heck are you able to change to logic...

Logic express/Saffire interface/Korg piano/ sound canvas/ and all of the above...

I have read the manual over & over again...Gone on youtube for guidance and really don't want all those window/click/pop up sections going on.

I just want to be able to record tracks with notation as easily as possible, mixing the track down through my outboard kit to DAT.

I have both Applemac and PC...Still is like a jigsaw puzzle...I think I am old school!

Can anyone help or is there some great explaination somewhere online I am missing??? :) 

thanks guys
-question by Lee Ann

RE: IGuest - Logic express question Pro Tools Or Logic 8?Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

Ok, if you use the most recent version of Logic and if you have a mixer that can connect with USB or Firewire (Yamaha has a good series) then all you have to do is download the driver for your mixer (almost always available from company website), install on to Logic, and your set to go.  If you don't have a USB mixer you can buy an interface like an M-Audio Fast Track Pro.  It has two input tracks and if you already have a mixer you can plug into the mixer with your audio source and then run stereo out into your interface.  Doing this will bounce everything you're patching into the mixer onto two tracks though (a pain for individually mixing).  Although by doing the either ways you can keep making more tracks on your computer until you run out of space or you can't process anymore.  With an interface you can also plug right into the interface with an instrument and record that way.  Using the combo:

Mixer > interface > Computer

will allow you to change levels before going into the computer though (because you won't be able to once it's bounced).

So, the conclusion is...

If you have a mixer, buy an interface ($150+).  If you don't have a mixer... Buy an interface.  AND of course the BIG QUESTION...  Use Logic (9.5 / 10).  It's much better in all aspects.

Hope this helps,

Elliot - DJ BK

-reply by Elliot

PT vs Logic 8Pro Tools Or Logic 8?I used ProTools for along time, and love it in general. The issue you will eventually run into is the cost...Even if you are using LE to it's max, there is going to be a limit to the quality of interface before jumping to HD. If you think that the Digi003 (LE flagship interface) is has good preamps/converters than I would not worry about it. You should be fine.I don't feel that the preamplification and Conversion through a 003 is that good compared to other interfaces (The Profire 2626 from M-Audio is MUCH better and gives you twice the inputs, theoretically...It can run on ProTools M-Powered).One HUGE consideration when looking between these 2 is Automatic Delay Compensation. Logic has it, ProTools LE does not.Basically, when you run a signal through any type of effects plug-in, there is something introduced called "latency." This latency is a slight delay (typically milliseconds) that can offset your phasing. Phasing issues are not hugely noticeable to the untrained ear, but when you have it across a whole mix, it is a rather giant difference. This is why many think that you can produce "Bigger" sounding mixes on Logic than ProTools LE.There is some truth and some not to that premise. You can get your mixes in PTLE to be as sonically coherent, however you have to compensate for latency manually with the supplied time delay plug-in...Very much a pain in the butt over a broad mix.At the end of the day, it comes down to work flow and intended direction. If you want to be in the industry, Protools is the standard, and you at least need to understand it. Logic is becoming much more used, but still...Protools wins that. If you have Mac and just want to get in and create, Logic is likely going to be your choice.One final suggestion...Presonus released a DAW last year called Studio One. It is amazing for a fledgling DAW. Has some good instruments and effects, and is the easiest of any of the daws to get started on.-reply by raincrow

pro tools conPro Tools Or Logic 8?<p>Another Con for Pro-tools unfortunately:</p><p>bounces to disk in real time converts in real time. </p><p>other programs, for example, garageband, or logic or sonar etc.. They do not.</p><p>this can save you so much time when you're trying to work on a project or transport it or whatever. I have found that to be rather annoying. But it's alright I guess because I like pro-tools.</p>-reply by Elliot

You can actually go to your regions list and "save file as" and save your region as a file so you dont have to "bounce" to disk... Much faster and easier.