xisto Community
kudmus

Ftp Uploads Using a third party FTP manager

I saw my friend using a handy FTP manager to upload stuff stuff onto his site. I wanna know if I can do that with my Xisto site. Can I download any FTP manager from anywhere and use it here? If so which one would you guys recommend? What is everyone using? I believe you guys are not uploading files one by one with the file manager.

I think most of us use some form of FTP application to upload to our hosting accounts. You were given the details when you activated your hosting account, so all you need to do is tap them into your FTP application of choice and it should log you in. For you it looks like your details are as follows:

Server: ftp.kudmus.trap17.com

Username: kudmus

Password: Your cPanel password

Personally, I use Konqueror to upload files when I need to.

I believe you guys are not uploading files one by one with the file manager.

if you're dealing with a lot of files to upload, a time-saving feature worth looking into is the unzip feature using the file manager in your cpanel. simply arrange the files you wish to upload in the directory structure you want (folders and sub-folders), and zip them all up in one single zip file. upload that, then unzip that file using your file manager in cpanel. one-file, one-upload. :lol:

I just thought I'd jump in here and add a quick suggestion about which ftp manager to use if you are using a mac. Konqueror is great for any platform, but if you don't feel like messing around with kde's cyberduck is by far the best FTP manager I've come across on the mac, and best of all it's free. But really it doesn't matter which client you use, just don't go out paying for one. There are so many freeware/open source ones that can do everything the commercial ones can do, it's not worth spending your money on. Also one quick note that rob left out. If you find that you are having trouble logging in with that info, or want multiple FTP accounts (perhaps you are not the only one working on the website) you can set up all of the accounts in your cpanel.

To answer your question, yes, you can use any FTP software that can be downloaded, you can even set up your computer so you can do a ftp connection through explorer and not have to worry about any software whatsoever. As for recommendations on what software to use, I recommend checking out these topics to see what everyone recommends:

Topic #1
Topic #2

I downloaded and installed Filezilla but when I try to connect the connection is timing out. I used ftp.kudmus.trap17.com for host: 2082 and all I keep getting is:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Error: Connection timed out

Error: Could not connect to server

Has anyone ever met this problem?

A really effective FTP software if you are using Firefox is the FireFTP Extension.

jlhaslip did u know that FireFTP does not work with Firefox 3 beta5? I use firefox but I was so disapointed when I found I had to switch to theslower Firefox 2 to use my FTP client. Thanx anyway.

Hi...

Ok.. for those of you who do not know about fireFTP

I have been using it once i started using Xisto for hosting... Its very good. Easy to use and very simple.

FireFTP is a plugin for firefox and so very easy to configures and use.

Details for setting up

Account Name: Some name

Host: http://www.computerkindness.org/ (Web address)

Login : login_name@computerkindness.org

Password: your FTP password

you are ready to go... now.

I have started using FTP uploading software in the last few weeks and i have found i like FileZilla the most. the older version 2 is better than 3 at the moment but im sure 3 will be improved soon enough.i was wondering what other people find is the best ftp uploading software. maybe a top 5 list or recommendations.

From my experience, you don't have to put ftp, try kudmus.trap17.comand don't put anything in for port, it should automatically assign one for you.

You can even open Cpanel > file manager > click on "upload" and knock yourself out. Doesn't work for me, but it should...