xisto Community
Wetton

Obesity In Young Children Who is to blame?

obesity really is a serious problem. this post offers a lot of helpful insights. i really try to get my younger cousins, neices, and nephews to get active and do some sports and not just sit around watching tv or playing xbox.

why blame fast food joints for a problem thats only brought about by the fact that we are all tryna get more for less. I think the blame goes to the whole food industry tryna cash in on Genetically modified foods. I mean shouldnt the guys making the chemicals that speed up chicken or beef growth take into consideration that the people who will eat the food has minimal excercise and hence the side eefcet will be fatten. And this is not just children but adults as well.Has the food industry ever cared bout people or just about profits cause if you look at countries like africa they grow their own food in the feilds or farms and they eat organic products 90% of the time. You find they are not obese because they have to walk 5 Kilometres to get to school early morning and another 5 kilometres from school. so they automatically have done a fat burning excercise and there is hardly much chance of a build up of fat in the body unless its a genetic inheritance. For most people junk food is a lunchtime meal and an evening snack but because of the high amount of walking and running after the buses or public transport as they have to fight for entry into the trains or buses as they full up quickly and if you dont shove and push with the rest you will get home after 3 hours or get to work very late.They dont need gyms to excercise, their whole life is full of excercise. Yes they eat fast foods but you will find the source of the fast foods is organic and hence not as fattening as in western countries. I mean diseases like diabetes are there but very low in number. But if only you knew how high their sugar content is in africa you'd realise that Western world countries are having a major prolem with their genetically enhanced food.Yet you will find people saying its the parents fault, its the fast foods industries fault. Look The Fast food Industry is there to make money ad hence they will get the cheapest product and sell it for the mosst profit so we can not really blame a business man for wanting to make profits. And if a product is available and cheap why should people not buy it. Arent we all looking for a bargains included in the list beiong fast food. Its Todays world i blame. We have cheap cars and they are the main problem source, we have electrical bikes and those are the problem. We have paedophiles and they are the main problem. You see from my point of view its not that a person goes to the gym because we cant practically afford to have a gym membership for the whole family. So what should we do. If only the world didnt have paedophiles then things wouodl be better, kids would be not obese. Every parent wants to protect their child and now drives their child to school. They by scooters and electric bikes for their kids which means the kids only walk to the driveway and then sit all the way to school then get up and walk to class. They spend all day except break time and toilet time sat down and walk back to the school gate sit in the car or on a bike and once home only walk back into the house. They hardly burn any fat so their body is just pilling on fat which is actually the food which was meant to be burned as energy but never was. Hence instead of eating 2kgs of food, burning 1,9kgs of it into eanergy to carry on the days activities and then storing 0.1kg as reserve energy (fat) the process is totally reversed we only using 0.1kg as energy then convert the rest to fats so tell me how long before we are all obese.We need to start letting our kids walk to the shops and to school and get involved in school sports like athletics and tennis and squash those high energy sorts which makes our kids run around and not be just idle and lazy. We cant start blaming parents and fast food shops when the truth is probably that they are not responsible for the problem anyway and besides whats the point of blaming each toher instead of offerign a solution.

The problem has nothing to do with fast food. People stab each other to death too -- does that mean we should blame every knife-maker in the world because it's their fault they create sharp objects?The truth is nobody forces anyone to go get fast food. Many people have *never* eaten fast food before. You can't possibly try to blame someone else because of a choice you make.Not to mention fast food isn't what makes people fat -- it's the lack of burning calories. There are people in the Olympics who posted their diets and some of them require 20k+ calories a day (meaning the equivalent of 20-25 double cheeseburgers at McDonald's). Yet they aren't fat. Why? Because they burn as many (or more) calories as they take in.If people would learn to quit blaming everything on OTHERS and accept responsibility for their own actions, people would be living much better lives right now. Until people grow up and admit that not everything is someone else's fault, nothing will ever change.

I know! Blame President Bush!!!! :rolleyes: Might as well, he gets blamed for everything else!I think the problem is very complex. Personally I think the big culpret are these stupid machines we park our rapidly expanding rear ends in front of for hours on end. I really never thought I would live to see the day that they had to start an advertising campaigne on TV encouraging children to GO OUT AND PLAY! What is up with that???? When I was a kid you couldn't keep kids in the house, we were outside every minute we could get out, playing games, riding bikes (or horses if you were country kids) and all and all getting tons of exercise. We had health classes in school that taught us about the basic food groups and how we should eat so many servings of each every day, I think they probably still do that. Education is key, and somewhere in there a little common sense might prevail, guidence from parents in food choises, having sit down home cooked balanced and healthy meals with the family might go a long way. I don't think fast food is popular because it's cheap. I can spend more money at McDonalds and still be hungry than I can if I go to a good resturant and have a good meal.

Not to mention fast food isn't what makes people fat -- it's the lack of burning calories. There are people in the Olympics who posted their diets and some of them require 20k+ calories a day (meaning the equivalent of 20-25 double cheeseburgers at McDonald's). Yet they aren't fat. Why? Because they burn as many (or more) calories as they take in.

Well, there is some evidence that it actually IS the diet and no so much the activity..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10545542

Obviously your basic point is correct: if calories-in minus calories-out>0 then you put on weight..

Obesity is the parents fault. No matter how much unhealthy food kids eats when they are with their friends, they are not going to get fat just for a greasy meal every other day. Now if your kids spend most of their days out in the street, then it is still the parents fault, where are they?, if you do not have time to take care of your children then don?t have any children until you organize your time, kids need care, protection, guidance, and that applies to food as well, is your responsibility as a parent to give them healthy foods, and to teach them what to eat and what not to eat, it is not like you are not going to give your children some candy once in a while, but to also teach them self control, I have seen children on television, who need to be eating the whole time, to one point where their parents have to put locks on the refrigerator or cabinets, these children did not become like that after night, off course since they were little, their parents did not teach them good eating habits and now they are out of control, is like those parents that does not have any rules in the house and when the kids are teenagers they can control them anymore, it is a process a learning process for the kids to learn to eat healthy and maintain a healthy life of exercise, god food, and some junk food because let?s face it is really good, who does not like a shake, or a hamburger once in a while??.I don?t think we can blame the food industry directly about kids obesity, because even though is not like they advertise that you are going to get fat just by eating their fries, they do put the calories and stuff of the food you are eating, it?s like cigarettes and alcohol, you do know that if you do it in excess you are going to get sick, but it is your own self control that make you stop at a certain point, and they do say that alcohol y bad for your health, cigarettes too, blah blah, so basically they are just doing their job, making money, you would not complaint about it if you were the one receiving the millionaire earnings they make every year with their food.The kids mmm noppp, they are just kids, they eat based on their parent eating habits, so if you give them a good example and eat all of your veggies they are going to eat them too, and probably they are not going to like every single veggie in the world, but if you let them try, different forms, shapes, flavors, preparations, they there is going to be one they are going to like, probably not row or in salad, but maybe soup or juice or cake, there are so many ways children can enjoy healthy foods you just have to be creative with them.

It seems to me know a days that parents aren't being strict enough with their children.. its not all parents just some of them.. or a majority of them.. what ever, but if their child is crying for something, they feel too embarrassed especially when they are in public, and they give the kid what they want. This leads to candy everyday, letting them sit on the couch and play video games.. what ever it is that their child wants that will keep them from throwing a fit, they give to them. I think this is mostly due to all the teenagers having babies now. No to say that they are bad parents, its just that they haven't had proper guidelines to being a parent.. most of which are still immature... Obesity in kids is a growing epidemic, and parents are about 85% of the reason why.. This is my opinion, please don't harshly criticize me, everyone is entitled to their own!

I believe that the fact that kids and teenagers are getting more inactive everyday is much more of a cause for obesity than fast food. Fast food is a major reason for obesity but I believe that inactivity affects the obesity factor more. If you look in the United States, you will see how inactive people are. In every other house, you will probably see a kid playing Black Ops, watching a movie, playing an MMORPG, being lazy, watching television, etc. There is not anything wrong with the list that I just provided but no kids are being active anymore. They would much rather stay home than go outside and get some exercise. A good reason for this is probably the fact that they don't have the motivation to exercise. Who actually just suddenly decides to go outside and run for 30 minutes straight? I will assure you that that is not the case with many people.

there is two games available for fighting with obesity which are named ?Escape from Diab? , ?Nanoswarm: Invasion from Inner Space?. i don't know how they will fight against obesity but i think if they do the effectiveness will be very low because they are video games and playing a video game means sitting and no physical activity. fast foods aren't only dangerous for children because of they high fat or salt (which cause obesity) they are more dangerous because of their preservative substances which will cause cancer. so not using them will save you from two dangerous situations one is obesity and another one is cancers. anyway learning these to small children is very hard and maybe a video game helps :D even if it doesn't increase physical activity.