xisto Community
longtimeago

Windows Xp Not Being Sold Anymore? Dell???

I'll suggest you buy the Laptop with Linux/Dos(if possible, I doubt if Dell offers any of these). and then Install XP. Because most of the system that come with DOS/Linux would be having harware 100% compatible with Windows XP. and then you can format (or make a partition) and install XP. This way, you won't end up spending unnecessary money and you'll get an XP laptop.or If you are sticking with the Vista-DELL combination, then collect the software drivers for the Devices before you wipe out OS. PM me if you get stuck with any of the drivers. I'll help you find it :lol:P.S. Vista is not that bad. I've tried Vista Ultimate on a friends comp, though I love my system with XP. I feel its much faster but then I can't play games in all their glory because theres no DX10 for XP.

There is a way around this. Buy it with Vista installed on the PC you want, whatever the cheapest one is. When the laptop arrives, get out your video camera or digital camera and record the first time you turn the laptop on. Most importantly, provide graphical evidence of you refusing the EULA during the install. You'll notice, if you read the EULA, that you have the right to return Vista to the OEM if you disagree with the EULA. They also have to refund you the value of Vista. It might take a little while, and you'll have to send back any Vista CDs they send, but you should get a cheque in the post for the value of Vista. If you want, speak to Dell first and check. If they say they won't refund you for Vista demand to know why.

Wow! I honestly had no idea that you could do that! I would have had to seriously consider doing that had I known about it; however, it is too late for me as I had already turned Vista on. Oh well, I boot into it when I need stability on my computer (my XP drivers aren't the best, I haven't put enough effort in it and ubuntu doesn't seem to work seemlessly all the time either).

As for the question, definitly go with what everyone else said. It's pretty easy to install XP over Vista, that's what I did, then I put vista on another partition along with ubuntu 8.04 beta. There are tons of tutorials on google about doing this, so it really shouldn't be all that difficult.

I noticed that Vista is now horribly bad - microsoft is getting worse! - but i want a laptop, preferably from DELL. But DELL does not sell Windows XP anymore - which is a total con really, because there are some people who ACTUALLY WANT TO BUY IT. They do actually sell xp (disks) but there computers are not being sold with it preinstalled. Just vista.

And i had a look and Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 = Ł217.40
Windows XP Professional w/SP2 = Ł316.74

WHY??? I just want a computer with PREINSTALLED XP - NOT VISTA! And on the "customise" for your pc it only asks you for "Windows Vista Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate" - Looking at it, XP is more expensive than Vista!!

Thats not on

Either your looking at the wrong website or your not searching good enough, Dell still sells computers with XP installed; XPS M1730, Inspiron 1520 are laptops that can have XP installed and as for Dell Desktops Inspiron 530s, Inspiron 530, XPS 210, XPS 630. I know alienware computers have XP as an option for there laptops and desktops, of course plan to spend $3-4000 for one of their computers though. In my honest opinion if you don't use vista on a regular basis it seems to be a great system in the sense that I don't do anything with it as all my software is on this computer, and I haven't had any hardware problems either, the boot is lagging a bit but other then that it runs fine for me.

You CAN wipe out and install XP onto any machine.
Legally, I believe that one copy of a "normally purchased" copy of Windows can be installed on one PC at any one time, so if you have an older computer that you're doing away with, LEGALLY you can wipe XP off of that machine and use the same copy of Windows to be installed onto your new machine.

Check out the support page for the Dell model in question for XP drivers. Also, look around for driver support on manufacturer pages.

I actually did the favor of wiping Vista off of a friend's new HP Compaq in favor for XP with not too much hassle. Some drivers will be a pain in the rear end... it's almost inevitable, but it is possible. (In her case, it was the network card that wasn't wanting to cooperate after XP was installed. After some intense Google research and 2 hours of unexpected time spent on the matter, I got it to work.)

Correct you only can install one copy of XP per system, or rather per serial key for full activation. So yeah you would need to wipe out XP from one computer in order to use it on another. You have to remember though that if you buy a company brand computer that if you run another operating system besides the one that comes pre-installed you could void warranties and stuff like that.

There is a way around this. Buy it with Vista installed on the PC you want, whatever the cheapest one is. When the laptop arrives, get out your video camera or digital camera and record the first time you turn the laptop on. Most importantly, provide graphical evidence of you refusing the EULA during the install. You'll notice, if you read the EULA, that you have the right to return Vista to the OEM if you disagree with the EULA. They also have to refund you the value of Vista. It might take a little while, and you'll have to send back any Vista CDs they send, but you should get a cheque in the post for the value of Vista. If you want, speak to Dell first and check. If they say they won't refund you for Vista demand to know why.

that is a bit sneaky, but I don't see people putting the effort into doing this though, although if you had vista ultimate you could get like 2 copies of XP if you search for the best prices.

I'll suggest you buy the Laptop with Linux/Dos(if possible, I doubt if Dell offers any of these). and then Install XP. Because most of the system that come with DOS/Linux would be having harware 100% compatible with Windows XP. and then you can format (or make a partition) and install XP. This way, you won't end up spending unnecessary money and you'll get an XP laptop.
or

If you are sticking with the Vista-DELL combination, then collect the software drivers for the Devices before you wipe out OS. PM me if you get stuck with any of the drivers. I'll help you find it :lol:

P.S. Vista is not that bad. I've tried Vista Ultimate on a friends comp, though I love my system with XP. I feel its much faster but then I can't play games in all their glory because theres no DX10 for XP.

I know Dell does linux preinstalls but not aware of linux/dos combinations, but I doubt no pc company is going to spend the resources to to have dual boot pre-installs though.

Wow! I honestly had no idea that you could do that! I would have had to seriously consider doing that had I known about it; however, it is too late for me as I had already turned Vista on. Oh well, I boot into it when I need stability on my computer (my XP drivers aren't the best, I haven't put enough effort in it and ubuntu doesn't seem to work seemlessly all the time either).
As for the question, definitly go with what everyone else said. It's pretty easy to install XP over Vista, that's what I did, then I put vista on another partition along with ubuntu 8.04 beta. There are tons of tutorials on google about doing this, so it really shouldn't be all that difficult.

If your computer is good enough to sustain a dual boot, then just dual boot another operating system and don't use vista except to update it and maybe make software comparisons.

I have a fun anagram to share:

Viruses

Intruders

Spyware

Trojans

Adware

And I pose this reponse to you...

How Many Are You Running?

I've made the switch to vista a while back and honestly, I have found it troublefree. It crashes far less often than xp, I have had no compatability problems with programs. Granted I have a fast computer, so speed is not an issue. I am also running Ultimate on an old laptop of mine, because I tried to use XP, and the drivers would not work and recognise the hard drive array. All I could do was install vista, because it picked them up right away from a default install. Has a lot of compatability drivers built in. The old laptop was fairly slow on XP, and is fairly slow on vista. I have not noticed a performance loss. In fact it seems more stable now.

Now I'm not condoning either way, but if you're computer is reasonably fast, just switch, you will forget you're running windows after a while.

If you want to know whether a machine of yours is fairly fast, just send me a PM with the specs and I'll try to help you out :lol: *Just my two cents everyone*

Oh and if you want vista for DX10, its not worth it. DX10 barely makes a difference, and microsoft have announced the DX10 drivers will be released soon for XP.

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

I am gonna try and keep my laptop with me as long as I possibly can, I got XP on this of course and I think if my poor laptop is to die, I'll burn XP on to a disc (or buy it before it stops being made) then get a new computer with vista and wipe it. Then upload XP back, people still let some programs work on 98 n 2000 maybe the same goes for XP... I think that they'll eventually realise it sucks donkeys and just stio making it altogether, then bring out a new Vista3000 or something and say its a whole new expirience, when its just XP with style XP installed.

Yeah, I feel for you...I hate Vista with a passion. The biggest issue that I have with it now is that newer pc's can't even be downgraded. Companies are not making drivers for XP anymore, and are only going with the Vista route. Sure, you could always use generic drivers, but that ends up nullifying the point of having spent a lot for all of your extra features.There are still *some* computers that are coming out now that can be downgraded to XP, but the number of them is quickly diminishing. I would personally rather go to Linux than to sit and mess with Vista, solely because of the taxation it puts on your system. The speed difference of XP and Vista is noticibly different, even when both are on the lowest settings(Not using Aero or whatever it's called for example.)I still don't see why Vista was released in the first place. I have always referred to it as a "downgrade" from XP. I guess it just reconfirms the point that people would much rather "see" than "feel"(Meaning they would rather have the graphics of the system rather than the usability and speed.)I just hope that the next operating system Microsoft releases is better planned than Vista was.

Yea, lets hope next M$'s OS is lighter than Vista but promising better security and stability than XP. I tested Vista 1 week ago, and uninstall it after 4 days.I want to share this too that I hate that Vista. Can you imagine there's a lot cheap branded laptop and computer in my country costs around $500-$700 that it's specification DO NOT MEET Vista's requirement (by having 512 MB RAM, etc.), but they bundled it with Windows Vista! It's inhuman for me! As many people here complaining Vista and changing their OS to XP. It's unfair.

XP vs Vista

Windows Xp Not Being Sold Anymore?

Why do MS want to stop XP ?vista doesn't support many of the leading softwares.XP is far better than vista.

-feedback by Krishna

xp has existed for quite a long time.It is only reasonable for them to stop shipping anymore xp to the market..Besides that will let them have 1 job less to do :D

Must we terminate all good oldies and replace them with stinky youngster? I think most of people don't care about whether it is already existed for long time or short time. Quality talks, not the age. Well I agree with you about they will have less job to do. Microsoft really wants to discard Vista with Windows 7 after all hard work making Vista, or discard XP?

I do not believe I will upgrade to Vista >.>. Not unless there's some game I really, really want. I'm not buying their schemes to force people to update to a new OS that probably furthers their objectives to keep a closer eye on users and force them to do as they wish. To me, Vista seems a bit like Windows ME. Have fun with it folks. I use Linux most of the time anyway. As far as updating to Vista for security reasons, maybe not. I mean, in any new piece of software there are going to be bugs. XP is at least time-tested. And everyone thinks Vista is buggy. How many of these bugs are exploitable remotely? I don't need any new security updates. And I don't take kindly to their Genuine Advantage gambit, trying to peek on me to make sure I'm doing my good duty as a citizen of "society." And yes, my copy of XP is legal, so I'm not saying that to get out of anything.What Microsoft has been moving towards has seemed like communism. I read a blog post somewhere the other day that noted something that was said by a Microsoft developer on a forum. Namely, their plan to make a /mandatory update/ for those that had Messenger 8.1 to Windows Live Messenger. Their reason why? We need to do what's best for the security of the network. (Their logic being that they didn't want anyone that could act as a gateway for a virus.) Still, even if their intentions are good, it's tyranny. People should be able to choose whether or not they want to update. "For the good of the community." Sounds like Russia to me.

Well, the same thing. I'll use Vista if there's a game or things that I really need that can't be ported to XP. And of course I'll do dual boot. Never delete XP from harddisk LOL

This is OUTRAGEOUS~!! Why? Lots of people enjoy using XP because Vista sucks "*kitten*". If XP is not being sold anymore, then I CANT WAIT UNTIL WINDOWS 7 COMES OUT!! In around 2009-2010........ T.T . Vista is so slow!! I think that Microsoft is just going to make less money that way.....