xisto Community
longtimeago

Windows Xp Not Being Sold Anymore? Dell???

As all of us are aware of the latest operating system VISTA released by Microsoft . But now the Scenario is that microsoft will stop shipping XP in June and thats it,This Clearly shows that Microsoft wants the world to Change to Vista , is this a Good sign for progress ? Is it acceptable ? are there a no laws for this ?Though the over all review suggest that XP is better than vista still XP shipping is gonna be stopped. What do u comment about this ?

this is ridiculous! I was praising MS a little while ago for going open source and now look! A stab in the back! Fair enough if they cant keep up with it but they can! They're simply forcing the world to to pay more for their crappy little software. Even you brainwashed MS lovers have got to admit this is ridic.I dont mind them stopping support after a long time, thats fair enough, once a software becomes fairly unused theres no need spending time and money on it but CP isnt THAT old yet! And vista is a rip off. well done MS for ruining the world again. Why cant that archangel of death, destruction and obvious mental deficit, George W Bushy invade MS for destroying the world...

This is ridiculus. I'm not switching over to Vista, it is way to bloated and offers very little support for the things I need. I'm not going to go buy new software and hardware so I can get a worse OS than the one I currently have. If microsoft truelly supported the customer they would keep XP support because once the support dies then any new security holes can't be fixed and I'm sure more than half the market of windows users are still using XP, this will cause major security issues. Microsoft needs to start thinking about the customer and not the stock broker, don't they realize that pleasing the customer will ultimatly please the stock broker?When it comes to my next upgrade I'm still using XP and if it comes down to it, i'll just have to make a complete switch to Ubuntu. When a 98% or above win emulator comes out for linux, that's what's happening anyways.

I think this is why a lot of people call Microsoft's Vista "Losedows". MS is forcing people to switch to it, or leave their current operating system full of holes. I don't think XP users even get a discount for the upgrade. This is even lower for Microsoft and I think it will be the final tap of the finger to push Microsoft's huge unstable stock back down the other side of the mountain, once people switch to Ubuntu. Then again, some people will just buy Vista because they think it's necessary to have a "good" computer, and some people are still using Windows 2000! Can you imagine?!?

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

windows 2000 was actually a stable system, if I had it I might even be dual booting that instead of XP just for gaming purposes. Vistas doesn't make a good computer, it makes a good computer a bad one, even when i get my new laptop that will more than likely come preinstalled with Vista I will install XP on it so I can fully utilize the machine the way it's supposed to. If I want aero, I've got Ubuntu to do the sweet affects.

Of course it begs the question how long windows XP action will be active before they turned that off, yeah it would be a dirty trick for Microsoft to pull by shutting down the activation system and thus disabling windows XP. t3jem you are better off getting a laptop that comes with XP installed because if you uninstall Vista and install another operating system your going to null the warranty, and thus you will be paying for support instead of getting it for free. Of course if you dual boot with XP you might not null the warranty but you better check with the company who made the computer before doing so. Of course by 2009 it won't matter anymore since Vista will be the only operating system out there, and then you will have to start getting XP software at amazon.com and stuff. Of course XP is a pretty OLD operating and with SP3 on the way I think it will plug up a lot of the holes XP has gotten over the years, but of course with that in mind people who do keep running XP will eventually run into problem with security and stuff but I wouldn't doubt that a lot of people will be dual booting vista when Vista is the only windows OS on the market.

The thing is it is no different than any other system. They stopped making windows 3.1 with windows 98 coming out and stopped windows 98 soon after windows 2000 and so on and so forth. It is also the same as video games. After the Xbox 360 game out they slowly stopped making games for the previous Xbox and the same goes for Playstation to Playstation 2 to 3. There is not much that can be done but to stick with what you have as long as you can or just move up like they want you to. It's all about money and always will be.

yeah it would be a dirty trick for Microsoft to pull by shutting down the activation system and thus disabling windows XP.

I'm way ahead of that.

The thing is it is no different than any other system. They stopped making windows 3.1 with windows 98 coming out and stopped windows 98 soon after windows 2000 and so on and so forth.

The difference now is that you get to upgrade to crap instead of something better. 98 -> 2000? Better. 2000 -> XP? Better (well, depends, for most I'd say better). XP -> Vista? Crap. Therefore XP -> Linux = best <_< Edited by dre (see edit history)

XP has been supported for a loooong time, it came out in 2001. Microsoft wont stop letting people activate XP or use it, or even buy it, however if some new flaw shows up Microsoft will have the right to simply tell you to upgrade to Vista as a solution (doesn't mean they will). All this means is that more people at Microsoft will focus on Vista rather than XP so except less security updates. Also new software released by Microsoft won't support XP (but they will probably run on XP anyway)

The step Microsoft is taking is probably going to fall back on them. XP is probably the most bought and shipped OS made by Microsoft. I, myself, are using it right now. It's has been pretty stable on me, it hasn't crashed too often. But my computer probably couldn't bear with Vista, it's already two years old. Three years ago I was still using windows 98, whilst others had XP. It wasn't very comfortable to find out that Microsoft stopped giving support to Windows 98. I think Microsoft's ideas aren't acceptable! I'm thinking about converting to Linux if it gets worse...

I said in another thread that I was not going to switch from XP to Vista. Indeed, to me, Vista is not yet really "done" and XP is still much more powerful ! And yeah, when I heard that, I was quite shocked about it. Here in France, you can still chose between XP and Vista but people tend to get Vista easily... Maybe because they don't really know that XP is better. It's quite logical to me since "normally", when another version of a software is released, it's meant to be better. To me, that's not actually the case with Vista... I hope they will finally change their minds about that...

I noticed that Vista is now horribly bad - microsoft is getting worse! - but i want a laptop, preferably from DELL. But DELL does not sell Windows XP anymore - which is a total con really, because there are some people who ACTUALLY WANT TO BUY IT. They do actually sell xp (disks) but there computers are not being sold with it preinstalled. Just vista.And i had a look and Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 = ?217.40Windows XP Professional w/SP2 = ?316.74WHY??? I just want a computer with PREINSTALLED XP - NOT VISTA! And on the "customise" for your pc it only asks you for "Windows Vista Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate" - Looking at it, XP is more expensive than Vista!!Thats not on

You CAN wipe out and install XP onto any machine.Legally, I believe that one copy of a "normally purchased" copy of Windows can be installed on one PC at any one time, so if you have an older computer that you're doing away with, LEGALLY you can wipe XP off of that machine and use the same copy of Windows to be installed onto your new machine.Check out the support page for the Dell model in question for XP drivers. Also, look around for driver support on manufacturer pages.I actually did the favor of wiping Vista off of a friend's new HP Compaq in favor for XP with not too much hassle. Some drivers will be a pain in the rear end... it's almost inevitable, but it is possible. (In her case, it was the network card that wasn't wanting to cooperate after XP was installed. After some intense Google research and 2 hours of unexpected time spent on the matter, I got it to work.)

There is a way around this. Buy it with Vista installed on the PC you want, whatever the cheapest one is. When the laptop arrives, get out your video camera or digital camera and record the first time you turn the laptop on. Most importantly, provide graphical evidence of you refusing the EULA during the install. You'll notice, if you read the EULA, that you have the right to return Vista to the OEM if you disagree with the EULA. They also have to refund you the value of Vista. It might take a little while, and you'll have to send back any Vista CDs they send, but you should get a cheque in the post for the value of Vista. If you want, speak to Dell first and check. If they say they won't refund you for Vista demand to know why.