xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rvalkass

*buntu 8.04 Released Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Edubuntu

The latest releases of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Edubuntu came out this afternoon.

This is a long term support (LTS) release, so should also be adopted by companies needing the security of longer support.

What is most important to me about this release is that the Kubuntu release is the first to include the latest KDE4 desktop environment, along with a CD offering the older KDE 3. KDE4 looks incredible and brings a lot of advantages over the last release of KDE, and should encourage more people to switch to Kubuntu.

I grabbed a copy of the Ubuntu 8.04 Beta last Friday and it has done several updates this week already, so I think I'm good for now.The auto-updates will take over from here, I think.

Although i've been running the beta version of 8.04, i'm currently downloading Xubuntu 8.04 stable so i can start on Trubuntu.

The auto-updates will take over from here, I think.

Mhmm.

I'm downloading the KDE4 remix right now. I like slightly unstable software if the payoff is greatly increased functionality.

KDE4 is not yet ready for mainstreaming, and i don't expect it to be until maybe 4.2. Although, i do have KDE4 installed next to Xfce. KDE 4.1 will have some awaited features, like extra panel configuration, though. But KDE4 is a work of art.

Yea, I've been running beta 8.04 for about a week or two now, it's pretty cool, I like the new features and stuff. I haven't tested it out too much though because I've been really busy on other stuff I can't do in linux, but when I get more time I'll update to stable and check it out some more.

A few weeks ago I decided to give Linux a second chance after a disappointment with Fedora Core a few years ago. And since I knew Ubuntu was so popular I wanted to try it. But since 8.04 was almost ready I though Live CD would make the transition. Yesterday I finally installed Ubuntu on both my computers (a desktop and a laptop) using Wubi (a great tool... every Linux distribution should have one) since I can't let go of Windows just yet. Anyway the installation was... extraordinary! :) I don't know if a normal install is so easy but Wubi sure made it look like a breeze. Driver support is good (I would have said great if there were drivers for my Lexmrak printer, but frankly I didn't even expect it to work). And with all the preinstalled software you don't have to loose hours on lengthy installs. I have to mention I had some problems with my wireless on the laptop, but today it works just fine so I think it had something to do with my wireless router, not with the OS. But what I liked the most was XGL and Compiz. The two make the user interference a great experience! The wobbly windows and the cube are great. But what is extraordinary is the low requirements - it works just fine on my desktop; a system on which Vista was rather a painful experience! I have to admit that what made me give Linux a second chance was the curiosity I had for the new effects. I was expecting tones of writing in the terminal, but with only a few clicks everything was configured and working. I find that as such a great improvement over other distributions I tried!Bottom line is YOU SHOULD TRY IT. Wubi installs Ubuntu like a normal program in Windows and adds a new entry to the boot menu. No need to change partitions or anything... And if you don't like it you can uninstall it just as easy! Try it - you may like it! I did! :lol:

Is there anything worth upgrading for? I'm not eager to download more than 1 gig of packages.

From what i've read when the beta was out, there is supposed to be better hardware support and detection, specifically making better use of Xorg's autodetection feature, making pulseaudio the default, et cetera. You personally may not notice a difference, but there might be a performance increase. I switched mostly because i like to have the latest and greatest. :lol: I only have Xfce and KDE4 installed for DEs.

Here is an edit to my first post... I finally got my printer to work! :lol: Not only the printer, but the scanner too. It isn't very hard but you have to know what to do. The terminal is the Achilles? heel. Of course, for the advanced, it's Linux main strength over Windows. But for someone coming from Windows it is a nightmare. As I have said there is some improvement in the software install process, but there is still room for some more.And I don't want to forget the WOW part for the user interface. Absolutely gorgeous even on old configurations! Forget Vista Aero...