xisto Community
alex1985

Wireless Network How?

Hello, everyone. I'm using wireless at my home and connecting it through my neighbour network, but the signal sometimes neither low or just normal. If there is a way that I can imrove it or increase the sensitivity of that signal. I'm using my wireless adapter built in my laptop. If you know how, please let me know.

Alex i 2 tried the same thing wid my laptop ... i use to do the same thing .. Even i had a poor signal .. but only advantage was tht it was free of cost ^_^ so i used it any how .. even my question remains the same ; tht how could u increase the range of ur laptop or snatch the range of the network Wireless LAN ?? i m too very curious to know bout this !!

Well, if you happen to know where the wireless router is located then getting your laptop/wireless receiver as close to that as possible would help of course. Also, you can buy a USB network adapter with an external antenna to extend your range. If you choose to go that route I'd suggest researching which ones people have found most effective.

Also try placing the router at the highest point of the room/house. This ensures that minimal obstruction between your laptop and the router. Try changing your frequency channel. The default of channel 6 sometimes interferes with cordless and some cellphone signals.

There are antennas you can buy. Go look at CCRANE and check out their gear. It's not cheap, but it works and, hey, you can use all that money you're saving on monthly internet service and buy a nice antenna. With a good antenna you'll probably have more options too just in case your neighbor gets sick of paying for your internet.

I thought of an ingenious idea, and this is based off a walk through of this school I was applying a job for. They had connected several WIFI routers together within their network in order to boost a wifi signal all over the school, and so if you had a second router connected to this network and closer to you, then your signal should boost a bit. But, expect the connection to be a bit slow because of all those packets needing to travel through 2 routers (if your neighbor has one), before getting to the internet connection. It would cost about the same as an antennae, but if you are not like 6 feet from your neighbor so you don't have to buy 100 foot RJ45 cable and people tripping over it and stuff.OrTell your neigh to move the router next to a window or something to help boost the signal.

Ask your neighbours to move their Router to the outside wall closest to you? :lol: that is about the max you can expect from us...Better antennae on the Router is unlikely to happenWiring to their Router is unlikely to happenPurchase a re-broadcast Router you can possibly strengthen the signal withMove into their house, maybe?

In my laptop I'm using Intel? PROSet/Wireless program, and I have changed some configurations, and then my wireless connection is better then before.

But the program I'm using is in Turkish, the original was in English. Now let me try to translate into English.

If you are using Intel? PROSet/Wireless program you can do the followings.

1. From the Tools menu select Adapter Settings.

2. From the left listbox select Device to device power management. At right side default value is "disabled" change it to noisy environment.

3. From the listbox select Forced Browsing. Right side slide the gauge bar/progressbar to the maximum .

4. From the listbox select Sending Power. Right side slide the gauge bar/progressbar to the maximum .

5. From the listbox select Power Management. Slide the gauge bar/progressbar to the maximum .

6. From the listbox select HD mode. Change the value to "Activate".

7. From the listbox Data Transfer Improvement. Change the value to "Activate".

With these 7 options, your wireless signal could be better.

If you don't have the Intel? PROSet/Wireless program, you can download it from http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/internet-of-things/overview.html

Note: I have translated into English, so some words may not be equal.

Edited by Erdemir (see edit history)

Oh, thanks. This is the more appropriate answer found in this topic.

In my laptop I'm using Intel® PROSet/Wireless program, and I have changed some configurations, and then my wireless connection is better then before.

But the program I'm using is in Turkish, the original was in English. Now let me try to translate into English.

If you are using Intel® PROSet/Wireless program you can do the followings.

1. From the Tools menu select Adapter Settings.

2. From the left listbox select Device to device power management. At right side default value is "disabled" change it to noisy environment.

3. From the listbox select Forced Browsing. Right side slide the gauge bar/progressbar to the maximum .

4. From the listbox select Sending Power. Right side slide the gauge bar/progressbar to the maximum .

5. From the listbox select Power Management. Slide the gauge bar/progressbar to the maximum .

6. From the listbox select HD mode. Change the value to "Activate".

7. From the listbox Data Transfer Improvement. Change the value to "Activate".

With these 7 options, your wireless signal could be better.

If you don't have the Intel® PROSet/Wireless program, you can download it from http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/internet-of-things/overview.html

Note: I have translated into English, so some words may not be equal.

Oh, thanks. This is the more appropriate answer found in this topic.

And also you can find the best wireless signal positions by using Network Stumbler program.

Network Stumbler checks the wireless signals every seconds and logs the signals. You can see the best places by analyzing the graphics while you are moving your laptop.

And if you have GPS, Network Stumbler directly says the best position.

You can download Network Stumbler from http://www.netstumbler.com/