xisto Community
Kraiser X Astral

Why Do People Smoke? ...

I smoke because I can. I smoke more when I'm stressed, bored or waiting for class to start. Haha.I'm smoking as I am writing this. And afterward, I'll have another, most likely.

i think its because..when you are still a kid, you can see those grow up smoke and the ads and media portray smoking is cool, so now we can smoke, we think it's cool..now were hooked i think it stinks.. :)

Smocking Stinks and more than anything it destroys your Life. Everytime you somke it will take 5 minutes of you Life.Put thats your Call, The goverment are goin to bring up prices for faqs.And no I dont smoke!- Dark

Most people who smoke do so because they can't stop. Nicotine is a highly addictive substance that makes people feel energized and alert. Smokers get a rush after a cigarette, and giving up produces withdrawal symptoms that include difficulty sleeping and cravings. Seventy percent of people who quit smoking eventually start again.

Most people who smoke do so because they can't stop. Nicotine is a highly addictive substance that makes people feel energized and alert. Smokers get a rush after a cigarette, and giving up produces withdrawal symptoms that include difficulty sleeping and cravings. Seventy percent of people who quit smoking eventually start again.

I'm glad that I don't smoke... and I don't plan to, even if there's "peer pressure" or anything like that.
I'll make sure I don't make friends that are influential to me and make me smoke.

Because I won't.

I just don't see the point of wasting lots and lots of money wrecking your health. :lol:

In years past, before anyone knew it caused so many health issues, it was considered fashionable and cool. Now we know better, but even still, it retains some of that image. Nowadays, pressure from friends and other people who the naive might consider their friends can push one to smoke. There's also the curiosity factor, wondering what it's like, and of course being arrogant and thinking "I'm just gonna try one, it'll only be one, as if one cigarette can hook me? Pshh, yeah right." Of course, I'm not speaking from experience, as I've never smoked, and I never plan to. It's a dangerous addiction that can substantially shorten your lifespan, and the upsides to it are few (if there even are any). It's not something worth getting started on, as it's easy to get into an addiction, but hard to get out.

I started smoking when I was 14 years old. I started because I was 'intrigued' and wanted something to do whilst hanging around with friends. I went from one cigarette every two weeks to two a day (before and after school). During the Summer holidays last year I found the majority of my friends were abroad; leaving me with little to do. For some reason I decided that buying some Rizlas and some Golden Virginia would solve the problem of my boring Summer. Damn. I started smoking 20 a day, and a friend of mine who returned from his holiday in Greece announced that he'd started smoking 40 a day (the stuff of Macho men)- meaning that I'd never be without a cigarette.

I decided to stop six weeks ago when a series of painful canker sores developed in the back of my throat after a day of not smoking. Within two days I found that I couldn't control myself and looked for things to take my mind of it.

That's when I found Snus, a popular form of oral tobacco taken mostly in Sweden and the more 'redneck' parts of America. I tried it and found it was far stronger than regular cigarettes, at least give times as much nicotine in a single hit. Another plus point was that a tin of around 40 uses cost only ?1.30, whereas a packet of rolling tobacco that could make 40 *BLEEP* (forgot that the British slang for cigarettes is American slang for homosexuals...) cost around ?7.

I won't deny that Snus definately has bad side effects (chronic bad breathe, mouth cancer and all that good stuff) but when compared to the dangers of smoking it's but a drop in an ocean of poison.

With that said, I have no hard feelings against smokers. I'm shocked when I see young women puffing away at bus stops, but it's a lifestyle choice, and being for the legalization of Marijuana I believe in personal liberty.

Snus power.

Edited by DodgyPhil (see edit history)

as what Ive observed too many people are smoking and most of them are males..why do they use ciggrates? ....?I know theres a lot of smokers in here,
share your experience how you are addicted?
why you smoke and what causes you to smoke more?

Its amazing how as humans we will reteach ourselves to believe that something so bad for us gives us pleasure. I know when I first began smoking it was to feel part of. Now I just want to stop but there is a small pleasure I find in killing myself. Dude, I need to quit.

I used to smoke a lot, but for 2 and a half years now I don't smoke at all, it really stinks for me now, I can't understand how I used to smoke.. Now when someone smokes I can't be in the same place for a long time, maybe the cigarettes has changed and are much worse? Also cigarettes price in my country have risen about 3 times.. maybe even 4 times, depending on the cigarettes, even though I heard from my friends that they can get illegal cigarettes quite cheap :PBefore those two years, I usually just smoke when I was drinking beer or something similar, now even when I'm drunk I don't smoke and don't even want to smoke, so I'm happy with myself, I can breath some air into my lungs much better and in the morning I feel really good, not like in the past when it felt that something is not right inside :PMaybe I just got bored of smoking? I started at really young age.. :D

There are many opinions and by many people! I think its like a habit that when you get used to it , you can't stop the addiction (like a drug).

Here is what BigSis from Yahoo! Answers says: - (i dont much experience with this topic lol)

It's a habit - just like any other habit, it is hard to break.
There are different levels to it though:

Some people have more resistance - I know many who smoke only when they go out to a bar, or who only smoke at weekends.

I believe these people have stronger willpower. Not as much willpower as those who never start of course or even those who have given up for ever, but stronger than continual smokers.

If you're hooked on cigarettes, heroin, gambling, drinking, shopping..........whatever you're hooked on - giving up takes strength. It can also take time. The person addicted could go back to their addiction many times before they kick it for ever. Even when they have kicked it, willpower is still needed for ever to stop them going back.

For more on this topic check this

I don't know if I'm the only one. I don't smoke much I only smoke when I have access to cigarettes. I only crave a cigarette if I know I can get one very easily, which is mostly over friends houses and stuff. But if I'm at my house I'm fine and don't need to smoke at all. I find when I smoke I am a lot more calm in body and mind. I can think easier and everything just has a good feeling to it. I know its harmful but I figure I barely smoke and haven't gotten addicted yet. I guess I started smoking just because the people I hanged around with did. I really didn't feel pressured because they never did. Where I live the last thing someone wants to do is get someone who doesn't smoke to start smoking so they can bum all their cigarettes. :angel: I just sort of said hey let me get a puff off that and didn't like it. After a while I just got used to it I guess.

Smoking is a stupid and bad habit that the "brain" has it, because the nicotine release dopamine and therefor the body thinks that inhaling toxic substances will make u go :blink: STOP, what? my body dose not need smokes and THA brain work perfectly without this so called painkillers of stress, try to not smoke for a day.. how do you feel ? unstressed or stressed, if smokers dose not smoke they go WhUhoo for a STICK, that my people is ADDICTION and stress can be controlled through meditation, medicine and other stuff that dose not give you and ADDICTION. But why do you do it? because is good for what? you are not inhaling just nicotine, there are a lot of other chemical in the stick ( cigarette ) that you put on the lips .. going in mouth, throat, lungs, veins, heart, brain, body.Now my story goes like this, i did smoke for some time but find a good "recreation" and a stress relief in one of the nicotine free program, on web ( online ).. of course, and with luck and LOT OF EFFORT ( brain effort ) i can manage to control my "addiction" and not smoke for 8 months, and hoping that some of you smokers will advice other people not to smoke because it's a stupid habit that dose not help your body in any way, BUT it may affect your brain very badly.. you will spend months, years and maybe all your life recovering from an ADDICTION because it's not easy. Now all my friends smoke and none of them will help me in my struggle, some of them offered me to smoke again explaining that it's good for me.. what? better performance on sex, work, life, projects.. NO my friend you are burning your brain with every killer stick.There is a stupid reason why you smoke anyway... after lunch, when you are irritated, nervous, impatient, hysterical (etc), when you got any thing better thing to do, when you are tired.. this are not GOOD REASON TO DIE FOR, so think again when you light one thinking that your are made from adamantium and your name is Logan ( x-man ) having intercourse with Jean Grey-Summers ( Phoenix ) :P .Short -> People smoke because.. no reason, they just smoke it is self explainable, there is no reason other than socialization, fashion or curiosity to begin smoking.. try not to do it for this reason more than 3 cigarettes in you life time.. or 9 months ( haha .. kidding ).. DO NOT SMOKE IT CAUSES ADDICTION!.