xisto Community
TheBlessedOne

Coca-cola Addiction Sorts of addiction

When people talk about some kind of addiction they usually connect it with the drug abuse or drug habit (cocaine, marihuana, ecstasy etc.) but I think that every thing that is consumed in high quantity can be considered as injurious to health and it's after someone need it for ceaseless use so we can say it's addiction. I'll give you an example with one of my friends that has addiction to Coca-Cola. He always come to work with at least 1 bottle of 500ml, but often he can be seen with 2 litres bottle. He drinks Cola all the day, in work, in the caf? or just walking on the street carrying large bottle with some kind of dark liquid. I have some cases when he hadn't any Coca with him and he was begging me to give him from my Cola but because I'm quite squeamish and he was ready to drink from the cap of the bottle!I remember when it was January and we were walking on the street little after snowstorm and he took out from his bag Cola and start drinking on - 15 degrees centigrade... really madman :lol: ... and what about you mates, do you have Coca-Cola addiction?

I enjoy Coca-Cola but I wouldn't say I'm addicted to it. I used to drink quite a lot of it but I've been trying to cut back on drinking soda lately. Now I only drink it when I go out for fast food or go out to restaurants, instead of drinking it at home as well.

I can't say that I'm addicted to Coca-Cola... though I suppose I probably should be since my Mom works for them lol... But more than anything I like to drink milk, though when I was younger I did drink a lot more pop, but it was usually Sprite or Orange Crush or Root Beer, that sort of thing. I've never really been big into Coke, it makes too many little fizzies and it bugs me to drink lol

Crap man... I'm to poor to be addicted to Coca-Cola :lol:.However, if I was to be addicted to any beverage, I must say that it would have to be Root Bear XD... I love that stuff!Hmm... I not really sure I'd want to be addicted to Coca-Cola though... I mean that'd be horrible for your stomach and teeth...

I'm not addicted to Coca-Cola. I'm addicted to Pepsi :lol:Actually, I am addicted to something, but it's not soft drinks. It's cherries. I just love the flavour of cherries, so much so that almost every time I buy a drink during a shopping trip, it's a Cherry Coke. But I suppose that's nothing to do with this topic.I do like Coca-Cola, but I'm not addicted myself. I know many people who are, however...

I enjoy Coca-Cola but I wouldn't say I'm addicted to it.

Same here. IMO your friend has a major problem, cafeine is however an addicting drug once you drink enough of it and since Cola does have a extrodinary ammount in it thats def the problem. If we switched to diet coke for example he could porb gradually quit drinking cola easier. Is he even concerned at all about the negative impacts it has on his health cause to me it sounds like if you drank that much you're teeth would be discolored or at least falling out.

i dont think you can be addicted to coca'cola not to a level were it has an impact on your life anyway. what part of the drink would you be addivcted to? there a few different receipies:

Recipe 1

This recipe is attributed to a sheet of paper found in an old formulary book owned by Coca-Cola inventor, John S. Pemberton, just before his death (U.S. measures): Ingredients: 1 oz caffeine citrate 3 oz citric acid 1 fl oz extract vanilla 1 qt lime juice 2ďż˝ oz flavoring 30 lb (14 kg) sugar 4 fl oz fluid extract of coca (decocainized flavor essence of the coca leaf) 3 oz cocaine 2ďż˝ gal water Caramel sufficient Flavoring: 80 Oil orange 40 Oil cinnamon 120 Oil lemon 20 Oil coriander 40 Oil nutmeg 40 Oil neroli 1 qt alcohol Directions: "Mix caffeine acid and lime juice in 1 quart boiling water add vanilla and flavoring when cool. Let stand for 24 hours." This recipe does not specify when sugar, coca, caramel or the rest of the water are added. Source: Mark Pendergrast. For God, Country, and Coca-Cola: The Definitive History of the Great American Soft Drink and the Company That Makes It. New York: Basic Books, 2000. ISBN 0-465-05468-4.

Recipe 2

This recipe is attributed to pharmacist John Reed. 30 pounds (14.2 kg) of sugar 2 US gallons of water 1 quart of lime juice 4 ounces of citrate of caffeine 2 US fluid ounces of citric acid 1 ounce of extract of vanilla 6 drams (3/4 US fluid ounce) of fluid extract of coca

Recipe 3

This recipe is from Food Flavorings: Composition, Manufacture and Use (2nd Ed.) 1968 by Joseph Merory (AVI Publishing Company, Inc., Westport, CT). Makes one U.S. gallon (3.8 L) of syrup. Yield (used to flavor carbonated water at 1 fl oz per bottle): 128 bottles, 6.5 fl oz (192 ml). Mix 2,400 grams of sugar with just enough water to dissolve the sugar fully. High-fructose corn syrup may be substituted for half the sugar). Add 37 grams of caramel, 3.1 grams of caffeine, and 11 grams of phosphoric acid. Extract the cocaine from 1.1 grams of coca leaf (Truxillo growth of coca preferred) with toluol;dry the cocaine extract. Soak the coca leaves and kola nuts (both finely powdered; 0.37 gram of kola nuts) in 22 grams of 20 percent alcohol.

California white wine fortified to 20 percent strength was used as the soaking solution circa 1909, but Coca-Cola may have switched to a simple water/alcohol mixture. After soaking, discard the coca and kola and add the liquid to the syrup. Add 30 grams of lime juice (a former ingredient, evidently, that Coca-Cola now denies) or a substitute such as a water solution of citric acid and sodium citrate at lime-juice strength. Mix together 0.88 gram of lemon oil, 0.47 gram of orange oil, 0.20 gram of cassia (Chinese cinnamon) oil. 0.07 gram of nutmeg oil, and, if desired, traces of coriander, lavender, and neroli oils, and add to 4.9 grams of 95 percent alcohol. Shake. Add 2.7 grams of water to the alcohol/oil mixture and let stand for twenty-four hours at about 60 �F (15.5 �C). A cloudy layer will separate. Take off the clear part of the liquid only and add the syrup. Add 19 grams of glycerine (from vegetable source, not hog fat, so the drink can be sold to Jews and Muslims who observe their respective religion's dietary restrictions) and 1.5 grams of vanilla extract. Add water (treated with chlorine) to make 1 gallon of syrup.

I think the whole reason behind addiction based on peoples choice. Some say "i cant quit" truth of the matter is they can they choose not too. If your friend wants to stop this coca-cola addiction all he has to do is find a subsitute, but seeing that he drinks it daily his body might not function correctly with out it.

For the past three years I have started drinking Mountain Dew. It started off as every so often and then soon developed into a one a day and gradually rose to two and sometimes three a day depending on the amounts and how long I have been up. I did give it up once for lent which was forty days but then I was right back on. I have not really tried to stop again because I have not really wanted to but I know it is a waste of my money and will probably soon affect me health wise. I just do not want to and wish there was an easier way. Maybe this summer with school over and me back on a regular schedule I can start to slow it down to one a day and maybe one every other day and gradually knock it down.

OP, your friend definitely has an addiction if he NEEDS Coke like the way you describe him.I've been finding that I like to drink Coke quite a bit. It's bad with all the sugar in it, so I resort to Coke Zero, which has no calories... but tons of chemicals! :) I like other sodas, but I've have not refused Coke because I didn't prefer it. (I like root beer, gingerale, and other sodas too.) I don't drink carbonated drinks as religiously as a lot of people I know do, though. I know a friend that can down a case of Red Bull over a day, and of course we all know our local and lovable Dew fanatics. :lol:

I would not say I am addicted, but I drink enough of it... 3-4 liters a week, and that is pretty much I think. But I am not addicted, it is just a habit. Coca cola is not my favourite, this other thing I tasted in Brazil was like a thousand times better... Guarana or something like that.

lol reading ur posts i would say most people are addicted to it but dont even know.Like you say you always see people walking down the street with a bottle of cola and most people go for coca cola rather than any other drink.I myself am probably addicted to Lucozade

You should probably at least try to get your friend to stop the coke addiction, with all that sugar intake, he'll probably get diabetes when he's older, you should inform him of at least that.Oh, and don't let him drink your coke.@Bluebear - you can get an highly caffeinated energy drink called "Bawls", that has Guarana

Edited by Csshih (see edit history)

Well, you should really stop your friend from drinking so much coca-cola, not only does it destroy teeth like a tow missile, but with all those sugar in it, you'd probably be better off eating mistletoe...Anyways, personally I don't drink coca-cola... I've gotta admit that it tastes pretty good, but barely ever drink it, and only drink it if I have to, but even if I'm just invited to drink coca-cola, I won't drink it... Having the thought of that experiment where they put a steel nail inside a bottle of coca-cola and a week later, it disappeared, having been eroded away COMPLETELY by the coca-cola...