xisto Community
MrSandMan

Google Has Been Acting Funky For The Last 5 Or So Days!

I've had this ISP and same IP number for the past 4-5 years and never had a problem. It's my homes cable network and nobody has access to it. Also, if I was banned from google, then I would imagine that it'd be down all the time, not randomly through-out the day. I get that "server is down error" sometimes when I try to access google's home page.It worked all day until about an hour ago. It started acting a bit fussy. Oh, and for some reason I was booted of gmail chat for about 5 minutes. But then it came back on.My internet is the fastest cable available in the area and when it does go down (which isn't often) it won't allow me to access any web page, and I cannot use yahoo chat when my internet goes down. Again, that is rare if the internet goes down.My internet has been working fine for all other web pages. It's just with google sometimes. I cannot concept how this could be a ISP error.Also, if my ISP was the root cause of the error, would google work sometimes and sometimes not and not load to their server?

maybe it would be a good idea for MrSandMan to also try country-specific google. :lol: google has established local-google versions for (some, or all... not sure) countries. CANADA has https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl, PHILIPPINES has https://www.google.com.ph/?gws_rd=ssl, INDIA has https://www.google.co.in/?gws_rd=ssl, FRANCE has https://www.google.fr/?gws_rd=ssl, and SENEGAL has https://www.google.sn/?gws_rd=ssl for examples. what happens for local residents of countries when they access google.com is they get redirected to their country-specific google. i'm guessing these are mirrors, and is only established for each country for speed-in-searching purposes. instead of getting routed all over the world to the main google servers, they get served with the mirrors. they practically will have the same results, wherever you are in the world, i would hope. :D
so since you're in michigan, i would bet you will have access to the main google.com servers in the USA. but, if you're having trouble with your searches via google.com, try the sample alternatives above. these will also provide you with google search. :D if you're having problems with the local languages used for the alternatives above, you can always make them appear in english (option to do this on the right-most corner of the bottom of the google page).

it's a workaround, but it's better than no google at all, until you can figure out what's wrong on your end for having this "funky" experience of yours with google. :D i rarely use yahoo (only for my yahoogroups, and not searches), and i never use MSN. :P good luck.

Okay, google went down again giving me this error page:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

So I took your advice and tried all the other links you posted and they are, in fact, working.. while google.com is not working at all.

Is that an ISP issue?

try accessing another webpage immediately when you com across this error, if you cannot then it is probably the ISP resetting the server or something. But if you can access another webpage then it is probably Google. Also I highly think that it is a "hacker" using your Internet Service Provider. Because it depends, Google might ban the internet service provider's proxy IP for maybe 5 minutes? and the hacker might try again!If all else fails, why not just contact your internet service provider and ask them what is going on!

try accessing another webpage immediately when you com across this error, if you cannot then it is probably the ISP resetting the server or something. But if you can access another webpage then it is probably Google. Also I highly think that it is a "hacker" using your Internet Service Provider. Because it depends, Google might ban the internet service provider's proxy IP for maybe 5 minutes? and the hacker might try again!
If all else fails, why not just contact your internet service provider and ask them what is going on!

I, without a doubt, can reach any other page when google is down. I refresh message forums sites that I visit a lot. It's only google.com giving fits.

What happens if you simply hit "try again" (or an equivalent) in your browser after getting that message?

Ok this is very, very strange... but ever since I've read this post, I've been having similar issues. At first I almost didn't believe that something like that was possible, but google has been very, very slow for me recently. Every other site just zips right through, but when I go to google, especially during times of high internet usage like on weekends and nights, it takes about 30 seconds to load, (which is a lot, trust me). And no, I'm not on cable, I'm on DSL, so it shouldn't be affected on how many people in my area are surfing the net. And It only applies to google. No other site seems to be slowing down... How odd.

What happens if you simply hit "try again" (or an equivalent) in your browser after getting that message?

It fails. I cannot even use spell check when google.com goes down.

I've been using google.ca with no problems.

Google works fine for me, always has. I've been using it a lot lately and I've had no problems with it, it isn't even any slower than usual. Sounds lie your ISP, computer, or web browser is to blame for it. :lol:

I think it's safe to assume this is wrong since I run 3 different PCs, 3 different web browsers, and everything else on the net works, including every google search website except for google.com.

I suspect that google runs different servers for different regions?

I want to believe it's your ISP that's playing pranks on you,because i don't remember ever seeing a google page displaying ERROR.So its better you check-in with your Internet service provided.

Replying to MrSandManhello mrsandman .. I live in northern british columbia canada, and I am here to tell you ... You are not alone ! I too am having all sorts of problems with google. I cannot access my gmail account along with many other problems . You are dead right when you said... Sometimes it works ...But for the most part, it does not work at all ..! it is very frustrating to sit here trying to figure out just what the hell is going on with it . -reply by richcoop

I highly doubt it is google. They are one of the only companies with a truely 100% uptime guaranteed service. I mean, granted in the event or a universal worldwide power outage, they would not go out. I would look into your ISP and see what they have to say about the problem.

That happens in times or true, bandwith crunches. Is your area a small town or a heavily populated unknown town, that could be the reason. I also have DSL and come from a rather small town, but it is next to NYC so I don't usually have problems, just need to upgrade the service. VZ DSL has been cutting down the rates though, I haven't been getting the same speeds as I have before. Its a simple problem at times, but this is really only happening with G-Mail, not Google itself. Sorry I don't know much about internet lines, but it really could just be Verizon messing up, or your DSL Company changing sections, since Google signs contracts with ISPs for their site to get higher bandwith, this could just be a temporary problem, since Google is pretty much dependent on your ISPs level of bandwith.

Anyone else notice the problem? Seems like 55 minutes out of every hour throught-out the day Google has been down, cannot connect to their server at all. Search engines are not working, spell check isn't working, can't access my adsense and analytics accounts.
This is getting old. I did a search on Yahoo! (because google was down) to see if there were any other user complaints. I didn't find any. I have 3 computers in my home and all three are having the same issue with google.

Anyone else notice anything funky with Google?

i think you have a problem with your internet connection :D