xisto Community
bthaxor

Post Rating Module Installed Rate member posts

hey everyone,i know opaque worked pretty hard to set up the new rating system (eRate! mod for ipb), however i believe it should be removed. my reasons:1. people can abuse the system by rating people badly, just for the fun of it2. to see a post's rating, you must actually click on the 'list' link, which i believe is inconvenient, because if i'm flicking through posts and wanna see the good ones, i'd like to see their rating without having to click on a link.3. i actually believe the rating system is a bad idea - it is pointless, because it is quite obvious when a post is good and when it is spam. i believe there are no positives to having one, and all that's going to happen is that it will be abused.just my input, however i really don't like the idea of the rating system.

Hello Members,You all might have noticed the new module setup on Xisto. This module helps members rate individual posts which should help others get more idea about the user and the post they are reading.The module had some bugs in it, however I managed to make it work with the board. If you face any errors, please report them here. Your reviews and suggestions are welcome :lol:Thank you,Shree

Hey this looks great, it will help people see who is more respected among the community. Thanks for installing it, I'll defintley check this out.

Hey i agree with bk2070.. this thing is really rocking and very useful .. this looks too cool .. > but i have doubt folks .. Will this feature affect our credits ? like if someone does " SPAm " rating , will my credits go low . and what if some rates it Informative or Thanks or Funny or anything , will the credits go high or it will b stable . ?i would say it this Feature should also be related to our credits > it will be more fun .. wat say !What i suggest is if its a SPAM rating or Disagree rating dont cut down the Credits but if it is a praise credit like " Thanks , Informative , Funny . etc ... " u can increase it by some points , the reason i am saying 'dont cut' , is coz if some one doesnt want anybodys credits to go high they will always Rate a that person SPAM , and then his credits will always go low just because of that person , even though the post would be good .

Edited by FlameX (see edit history)

thanks a lot OpaQue, this new feature is really cool and very useful.
Can we sort the posts based on what the user has rated it?

Good Question.. This is exactly what I m planning to code ahead. Because sorting feature is not available. :-)

Great work OpaQue :P It looks like a lot of people are already putting it to good use. It also looks like everyone is using it properly and rating posts correctly - I'm finding it quite useful.

My one problem, I suppose, is just a small annoyance with where the image is placed next to a username. When you click the image to see how people have been rated, it always brings down the menu linked to their username:

post-7593-1206355451_thumb.png

It just means I have to make the menu disappear before I can read the ratings - not a major problem :lol:

What i suggest is if its a SPAM rating or Disagree rating dont cut down the Credits but if it is a praise credit like " Thanks , Informative , Funny . etc ... " u can increase it by some points , the reason i am saying 'dont cut' , is coz if some one doesnt want anybodys credits to go high they will always Rate a that person SPAM , and then his credits will always go low just because of that person , even though the post would be good .

It would get abused either way. People would start randomly voting posts up just to earn credits.

Ah the ratings post is finally here, and yes awesome move, and rvalkass that was the first error I found to with this mod was the alignment issues with the icon and the user name, but of course it gets more interesting in each browser to. As to Flames question now they will not affect your credits, and someone should make that post disappear just because I am getting the spam icon by members here :lol:. Yeah I agree with rvalkass that people would abuse the ratings system just as quickly, but of course setting a post count limit to new members would stop that abuse rather quickly, and besides those who spam anyway will lose those credits when their posts get removed.

As for another idea you should add the ratings module to the profile as well just so we don't have to see what we have on our posts, and speaking of posts should look into setting up the ratings system so that it leaves a link in the person's name to the post, and not the profile, that way members can see why and where this got this rating. Of course I don't know if this has been seen or done yet but if someone could verify to see what happens when someone gets 2 or more ratings from two different categories of the rating mode, just because I brough up to OpaQue that the position could be vertical for each new rating instead of horizontal, if that make sense.

As for new idea's I think that is it for now.

hey everyone,
i know opaque worked pretty hard to set up the new rating system (eRate! mod for ipb), however i believe it should be removed. my reasons:

1. people can abuse the system by rating people badly, just for the fun of it
2. to see a post's rating, you must actually click on the 'list' link, which i believe is inconvenient, because if i'm flicking through posts and wanna see the good ones, i'd like to see their rating without having to click on a link.
3. i actually believe the rating system is a bad idea - it is pointless, because it is quite obvious when a post is good and when it is spam. i believe there are no positives to having one, and all that's going to happen is that it will be abused.

just my input, however i really don't like the idea of the rating system.

#1 Well hopefully members are smart enough not to do that because that can display a message about how Xisto runs its forums and what not.
#2 With that suggestion you may want to bring it up with the designers of the mod, and also OpaQue has plans on making adjustments to this mode so it could be a possible idea to change it to fit Xisto needs.
#3 Refer to number #1, but also you could say this mod will show what kind of poster someone is because sometimes a person doesn't need to make out posts to be a good poster, but since everyone here knows how Xisto works I high doubt abusing this system would be such a problem.
Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

I love the new idea, only a few annoying bits as rvalkass said, to view each other's ratings you must first get rid of the menu. I would like to see the rating icon perhaps not even be part of that menu, and it would be nice if the list of ratings the post got was in the right side menu under the avatar and all that jazz just so we can at a glance see what others think of the posts without clicking on "list" on every post in the thread. Other than that I like it. I am not concerned about it being abused that much, yes I am sure that it will be by some, but after a while, there will be so many legit ratings that the few illegitimate ratings won't mean much.

The rating system has it's ups and downs, it can work well if it's not abused, on the other hand, it's often abused. Some people may rate random topics 1 just 'cause they feel like it, without even glancing at the content. Not only is it discouraging for the topic starter, but people may be less likely to look at topics with a 1. On the other hand, people could do the same thing with MAX ratings, and that can ALSO be bad. If all the topics on a page are rated the same high score, whats the point in a rating system at all? And what about the few the person missed? What'll happen to them? Maybe because they're different, more people will visit them, maybe not. My overall opinion on it is that it's a nifty feature, but it's best not to pay too much attention to topic ratings, as they can be seriously inaccurate. Also, people may give topics low or high scores based on the fact that they agree or disagree with the starters opinions, regardless of what kind of argument the starter is making. There's also the "I don't like you so I'm gonna rate all your topics one!" factor, if one member just plain doesn't like another for whatever reason, they could also abuse the feature. With all those things at play, the ratings could be all over the place whether the topic deserves it's rating or not.Of course, I've only observed this on small forums, as most big ones don't use this feature, so maybe it'll work out better here. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. :lol:

I've noticed that all moderators' posts are automatically considered "informative"—perhaps remove this? I can see this script being useful in the Suggestions forum, and somewhat in general. Abusing the rating system isn't that big of a problem with me (though i can see all of S_M's posts being rated as spam :lol:). I was wondering a bit why a description of this script wasn't mentioned, though.

Also, i'm not really sure how the whole system works. Why are there two: a "Was Rated" and a "Ratings Given"? Also, looking at Alex's post, i see the artistic symbol rather than the agree symbol.

i would say it this Feature should also be related to our credits > it will be more fun .. wat say !

Having the credit system be affected by this script is not a good idea, especially for those who think this script can and will be abused.

The ""Ratings Given" is ones given out by you. So basically it tracks ratings you have given out to people (right column). Left column ("Was rated") is ratings given to you by others.I kinda like the script and think it should stay :lol:.

The ""Ratings Given" is ones given out by you. So basically it tracks ratings you have given out to people (right column). Left column ("Was rated") is ratings given to you by others.

Ah, okay. I was getting confused thinking my votes for other's posts would show up in that one post i rated, and not show the user's universal stats along with that user's post's stats. It seems some symbols take up more priority in alphabetical order, in case of a draw—this would explain why Alex's post is, as of this post, marked artistic.

hey everyone,
i know opaque worked pretty hard to set up the new rating system (eRate! mod for ipb), however i believe it should be removed. my reasons:

1. people can abuse the system by rating people badly, just for the fun of it
2. to see a post's rating, you must actually click on the 'list' link, which i believe is inconvenient, because if i'm flicking through posts and wanna see the good ones, i'd like to see their rating without having to click on a link.
3. i actually believe the rating system is a bad idea - it is pointless, because it is quite obvious when a post is good and when it is spam. i believe there are no positives to having one, and all that's going to happen is that it will be abused.

just my input, however i really don't like the idea of the rating system.

I agree with this guy. It's stupid, I'm sure as hell not going to rate anyone's posts. Far to much effort, you can tell if a posts good anyway normally by their grammar and punctuation. But heck, it's your forums I'm sure a lot of people would love this rating thing.

Well, I didn't even notice the rating thing until I found this post... maybe I'm just not very observant? Whatever. Anyway, I think that the system is pretty cool, because I've never seen anything that you could rate with so many possibilities. Typically it's just a 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' type thing. But this is definitely different than I've ever seen before. Not really sure how many people are going to use it, and since I read that it won't really affect your credits in anyway, I feel a little more assured. Because then it probably won't get abused so much, but even if it does, it shouldn't really make too much difference. As far as I can tell anyway.Anyway, as always, it's nice to pop on here and read about the new things that are happening to make the forums better :lol: