xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
~Upnorf Cr3w~

Running, Jogging, Training How much to do so you dont overdo it.

jogging is great exercise, I personally jog three or four times a week, but you have to be careful because it's really tough on your joints. However, it's really easy to overdo jogging. I really don't want a knee replacement when I'm 50, and sports are also a great way to stay in shape, though most aren't as much exercise as jogging. I really enjoy badminton and tennis and dodgeball and stuff too, so as long as I'm doing that I don't jog as much.

Yes i can understand you can mess ur joints up. Ive been playing football for 8 years now and have been training for long periods too. I work as a Roofer and im always on my knees resting the little squidgy bit of the knee on the battens. It hurts like hell, But when i get running it soon loosen's up. The next few days it hurts tho and i have to keep my legs pretty str8 most of the time. The jogging im doin now is doing me the world of good. Im by far the fittest player in my team. Thanks guys

Jogging or running does not build your abs. At least I don't think they do. Have you ever been for a run and had sore abs as a result afterwards? You may have a bit of excess fat on your stomach and have abs underneath. If you lose a bit of weight through running and you stomach gets tighter then it could look like you are getting abs by running. And I suppose you would be. I personally enjoy running a lot. Its great exercise and great for the health too. The problem where I'm living though is there aren't too many places you can go running, unless running through town is your thing. I think jogging is for tired people though. :lol: If you are going to train, you may as well do it right. Run and a good pace, not too fast though, so you can run a reasonable distance. At the start of the year I used to get up at 5am to go train for athletics. Its something I enjoy but haven't got the fitness for. For example for the first round of athletics i could only keep a good pace for 300m in the 400m run. After that I trained and ran almost everyday for a good distance and I was able to get a placing in my province. Although now that is finished I dont train anymore. I probably wouldnt run to stay in shape either. I play a bit of rugby and soccor and that keeps me fit. Both involve a lot of running so its great.

At the start of the year I used to get up at 5am to go train for athletics.

lol I wouldn't do that for anyone :lol:

I dont like to run at a very quick pace altho when im out jogging i often sprint in little bursts here and there to keep me on my toes.

As i play 5-aside on a Thursday its quick and as ur running you run quick, stop quick, turn quick, so its hard on ur muscles.

*Drills into head Running is good for you.

I would reccommend you start doing some long distance running for the following reasons:-It will increase your speed by a noticable amount in a relatively short period of time (In two years, my 400 meter (1/4 mile) time has gone from 77 seconds to 56 seconds. I've gone from the slowest sprinter on my team to the third fastest.-It will increase your sprinting distance. Even those two who beat me in the short distance sprint (1/32 mile - 1/8 mile) can't beat me in events like the 600m (close 1/3 mile) or 800m (half mile) because they can't last that long.-It will make everything else easier. When you go on a particularly long or hard run, it will hurt. A lot. But because you survive that pain, everything else gets easier. The headaches you get from running make the headaches you get from being sick feel like nothing XD

Edited by DeM0nFiRe (see edit history)

Jogging or running does not build your abs. At least I don't think they do. Have you ever been for a run and had sore abs as a result afterwards?

Actually, for competitive runners, the 'strongest' muscle group in their body should be their Abdomen. The Abs are used to co-ordinate the activity of the lower body and the upper body and it needs to work very hard to do that if you are using both upper and lower parts properly. The legs give you motion and the arm swing helps propel you along.

If done properly, the Abs are critical.

Hmm thats wierd you wouldn't think that would you. Im glad i started this thread as its come back with lots of into and help that i didnt even know about.As for the long distance you might be right. i don't run long distances i run about 2 mile 1 mile there and 1 mile back. Its keeping me fit but maybe i can expand it a little and try longer runs. I'll see what happens. As for when i finnish i see alot of top sports people jump in a ice bath (i bet that well hurts) do you recomend i get a very cold bath. I mean jump in quick wash for 2 or 3 min then jump out ? Or a nice warm bath and soak up the water to my muscles. ?

I agree that it's dangerous to push yourself too much. In my country, several fit and young men just collapsed while running and passed away. It's extremely baffling because they had no health problems and they were always so fit and did exercise regularly. I guess other key things you have to take note of is not to push yourself to exercise when you are under stress, or sick. Exercise is a good way to keep fit and unhealthy, but I guess it can sometimes backfire if you don't watch yourself and exercise the right way. I also think it's better to keep a steady pace instead of sprinting during certain laps and then suddenly slowing down. That's pretty bad for the heart.

Hmm thats wierd you wouldn't think that would you. Im glad i started this thread as its come back with lots of into and help that i didnt even know about.
As for the long distance you might be right. i don't run long distances i run about 2 mile 1 mile there and 1 mile back. Its keeping me fit but maybe i can expand it a little and try longer runs. I'll see what happens.

As for when i finnish i see alot of top sports people jump in a ice bath (i bet that well hurts) do you recomend i get a very cold bath. I mean jump in quick wash for 2 or 3 min then jump out ? Or a nice warm bath and soak up the water to my muscles. ?

If you increase your distance, you will notice a big difference. Just make sure you increase the distance gradually so as to avoid injury. It's normal if you can't do five miles right away. Since you are at 2 miles now, try going up to 2.5 miles now and go up by a bit every week. Make sure that while you increase the distance you do not decrease your speed.

As for teh ice bath, chances are you do not need to do an ice bath *yet*. if you continue the distance running, you will eventually. You need an ice bath after a run that is run as if you are racing and is long distance (say, an hour or 7-8 miles or so) because it will make your legs feel better later. After a regular run, a warm bath is a better idea. That will help with cramps, shin splints etc. if you do too many icebaths, it can be bad or your legs. Also, you do not want to put your entire body in an icebath, that can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Rather, you just want to soak your legs to about the knee. You also do not want the watr temperature to be too low. You probably want around 45-50 degrees farenheit. That seems like it's only cool, but when the humidity is 0% (as it is in water) that feels really really cold.

Ok thanks for the information. Ive hurt my back at the moment so i can't do any running for a while ^_^ im currently off work for a bit. Don't know what ive done to it but it hurts like hell. I was lifting something heavy at work and something pulled. It feels like its getting better now. I'll post back when i start up again. Thanks for the support.

Yeah the swimming thing was a great idea. Its so light on the body its unreal.When im jogging my feet get sore sometimes and my legs feel like jelly. With swimming its great as only your stamina and breath are effected. Ive been swimming this past week twice and i feel great. I haven't started to jog yet as my back was bad but thats fine now so i'll stick to swimming for a while then get back to the running and jogging.