xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
~Upnorf Cr3w~

Running, Jogging, Training How much to do so you dont overdo it.

Does anyone know just how much someone should run, Jog, Or do personal training to keep fit WITHOUT over doing it. I see older people jogging through the street and i sometimes look at them and think god they should not be doing that at there age as they look tired out and that they should not be running so much to try keep fit ? I might be wrong this is why i started this post as someone might know more about it. Im only young (25) and play 11-aside football on a saturday and 5-aside football on a Thursday. I do go running through the week prob about twice a week on a monday and a Wednesday and probbably run about 2 miles each night. I just try to keep fit for my football. What i would like to know is am i doing too much just to stay fit for football ? Do i need to be running this much or can i get away with doing less? i feel great when i play and dont struggle to breath or have to stop much as my legs dont get that tired. But if i can keep this standard up with doing less running, training then that would be greatThanks <_<

When I was a bit younger, in my late Teens/early 20's, I was running competitively and for all but 3 months of the year, we would train at around 120 miles per week. It was hard on the body, but it worked for staying in shape, for sure.
Then we got a new Coach.
He lightened our schedule down to about half of the distance and concentrated on a three level approach, based on Strength, Endurance and Speed. Strength was built by a weight Training program, Endurance was based on a schedule which included long, slow runs and Speed was done by a repetition of quite short, but quick timed distances. Basically, he was using the same approach as Jeff Galloway, who operates this web site here: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/.
Good program. The long, slow run is the secret he uses. It works for training middle and distance runners, but your needs are a little different.
If I were you, I would look at a "cross-training" style of fitness. Instead of running, which you do while playing Football, take up bike-riding or swimming, which uses the same muscle groups, but in a different sequence and will assist the overall conditioning, too. Or play Tennis once a week, do something which will keep you fit while developing your legs in a different fashion.
Cycling and running and playing football are complimentary in that they all require a good overall fitness level and good strong legs.

Good luck in your program, whichever way you go.

Hey Cr3w, running is a great way to stay in shape! how much you should do all depends on you. The more you push yourself, the more you'll be in shape. At the same time, risks of a serious injury increase. Since I doubt you want to run competitively (Things like Track, Marathons etc.) the amount you should be running comes with a relatively low risk. If you can do, say, 2 miles a day for four days a week you should be good. If you can go for longer, you'd eventually get to the point where you can outlast all your friends you play football with <_<If you do serious running, as in 7 or more miles a day or running 3 miles in less tha 20 minutes or so, you'll notice you will get alot faster, you'll be able to take alot more punishment, asnd you'll last alot longer. However, your risk of injury will increase many times, injuries like torn muscles becomes a real worry you have to watch out for.As far as lessening your running, you would notice a decrease in your performance if you decreased the running. The running is probably what's making you be able to play for a while at a time.

Ok thanks for the replys guys. I can out last most of my team mates anyway. But it's all about me. I dont care how fit or how far they can run so long as im doing my job.I had a few problems before when i did more running than i do now i had a few pulled hamstring's and a twisted ankle as i went over on it jogging one day when i run on a stone. Ouch that hurt lol. Anyway ive decided that if i push that little more i can get better for the full 90 mins i play 11 aside for and the 30 mins i play 5-aside for. So im going to up my training and run a little extra on a monday and wednesday for a while then up it to monday, Tuesday and wednesday. So i will be playing Thursday for 30 mins non stop then have friday off before i play 90- min on saturday. I will report back and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Actually, it's a good idea to throw in an off-day each week. If you excersise too much, you won't last very long <_< Although, a better off-day may be to make it a lng walk or a soft jog instead of a hard run. You don't necessarily have to do nothing.

I wish I had the same endurance as you. I run for five minutes and I am dead tired. I should work on getting more in shape rather than sitting on the computer all day. Sigh... Anyway, about your question, I think haslip is right. Instead of constantly running, try similar activities such as swimming. Swimming is much easier on the body but uses the same amount of energy if you do it enough.

I am a runner and tend to run up to 30 miles a week between 3 to 4 days. My recommendation is that no matter how much you run, take about a day off afterwards. This will give your muscles a day to rebuild and thus your next run will be easier / better. Also, make sure you eat something within an hour after running because it will reduce your soreness and give your body the energy it needs to rebuild muscle. As for distance to run, do what you think you can handle. Start of small and increase as you build muscle. I would recommend starting somewhere between 2 and 3.13 miles (5 k). This is a good run that as you do it more often, it will start to work long term running and sprinting since its the perfect distance that requires both a sprint and a long distance. Once you start doing the 5k in 20 minutes or less, start increasing your distance.

Wow thanks. Sounds like you do loads of running lolOk i will take this into account. I didn't know about eating after to rebuild muscle too. I will try this also. Im going to do a few days running and then a day swimming starting from next week. I will let you know how i get on. Do you think its best to keep to a steady pace or speed up now and again ? or run at a steady pace then sprint it in at the finish ? Thanks

Ok i went jogging slow pace on the monday and managed about 2 mile, 1 mile there then a breather then 1 mile back. I felt good on the tuesday, So i did the same jog again. On Wednesday i felt a little tired. My legs were aching. So i went for a swim, I managed to do 20 lenghs of the pool in about 1 hour or just over. I wasn't rushing. Then on the thursday i felt good again. Thursday night i played my football and felt good i didnt struggle to breath or catch my breath once. Ive been resting today and am not going to do any running all weekend.I think this regime will work if i stick to it. Any thought ?

yeah you know what i want to know is that .. what type of exercises keep you fit but at the same time give you abs around the tummy.. like i heard that jogging does that but i don't get how that could work... i mean your running not doing situps... so yer how does that work? and some people say exercising helps with height as well.. im guessing jogging should only be jogging not running.. like i see alot of people over do it and run like crazy.. what do you rekon is the best outfit for jogging.

jogging is a good thing .i do jogging daily run almost 8 miles in morning and yeah also love tracking and mounting. there was i time a year before when i was lay dull. always keep my self away from these things like jogging and running and yeah love games on computer but a my room mates changed my life he urge me daily to go on jogging then 1st time i went with him on tracking and mounting and you can't believe my 1st experience was awsome it was 11 hours track and above 12000 feets above the sea level from that day i have gone on more than 9 expiations :lol:well due to all these activities now i feel my self perfectly fit. i'm a lot better then that time.