xisto Community
joshua132

Laptop Vs Desktop Graduation Present, Which one?

I would say desktop is a lot better as well. Because upgrading a laptop is no fun and who wants to recharge their computer all the time. Also i dont like the keyboards on them you can type a lot faster on a desktop. And if you dont have a mouse for your laptop it is no fun to mess with a lap top you always have to movie your finger up and down. Laptop is just to much work. And on a desktop you can have a kicking system on it to listen to music. The game cards in the hardrive are a lot better if you get them upgraded.

i'd have to go with a desktop. like previous posts, they're alot more powerful and worth their money. u can upgrade and add parts in a flash.u'll have to buy a new laptop more frequently than u would a pc. desktop is defineatly cheaper if ur on a budget.

You could really go either way, laptops aren't going to b better for speed and ability, but you can take um places. depends on what you want, I went with a desktop cuz their better in my opinion, but laptops are mobile.

I would forget PDA. Its not really useful for much - looks good but not good enough for full regular use - so if you want to wtach movies ( always good on campus )) and do some serious word proceessing etc -get a notebook. Some of the new ones would be very light and easy to carry - I odn't think you owuld regret your decisinon.

If your stuck why dont' you just buy the laptop or notebook. You can take it any where just about you want. Take it to Barnes and noble or some cafe with wireless internet and surf while you sip on your mochalatte. lol. You could bring it into classes. Try to get the ones at soem company like Dell, compaq, gateway, etc... You want excellent support when you need it and insurance to replace certain parts.

why nos use both B);) joke joke, desktops are better, easier to upgrade, u det the legendary mouse and keyboard, and if u wanna travel, just buy a jumpdrive and use ur stuff on another pc. it's reliable to, laptops are harder to fix and maybe u have to throw the whole thing away and buy a new one, and that's a waste of big money and time. and a desktop is also harder to steal, it's so big and has al those wires passing and it would take a crook some time to steal the whole thing. one thing that's good for me is that the desktop can also be modified from the outside...so its definetly the desktop fo' me!!! :):)

i will go with laptop .cause it is handy and looks cool.go with desktop if you need to work with home your family users.laptop is like having ur own privacy.desktop is good if you wanna keep sneakers away from your computer.at the end go with desktop.

Ok. At this point you've already made your coice apparently. But I'm going to say this anyways because I've just gone through the same situation. I chose laptop because the pros outway the cons. The pros are much more useful than the cons are hurtful. Take upgrading the hard drive for instance. What you can do is get an external. This is much more useful anyways because God forbid you MAY be downloading music and the sort, if you happen to get a virus or malware, everything would already be backed up and if you ran into the situation of reformatting, you wouldnt have to worry about losing any files. And also, I just got a Toshiba laptop, and the memory upgrade is so easy they give instructions in the manual on how to do it. All I have to do to add memory is turn it off, take the battery off, screw the memory expansion door off, pop out the old memory, and pop in the new one. Simple right? I think so. And another thing thats great about laptops is that alot of them now come with A/V plug ins or S-Video cables so you can plug them into a TV. Lets think about this wonderful scenario....plug your laptop into lets say...errrmm....a 60 inch plasma TV? How amazing would it be to use a TV of that size and quality of picture as a computer monitor? Thats just something I want to do if I could ever get my act together and save up enough money. But anyways, I'm off to college in a year or so and I have many friends in college and most of them have laptops and they do not regret it at all. I have very few friends with desktops but some of them wish they had laptops and there are a few that say they hate laptops....these are very stubborn people that are very into power and upgrade-ability? Is that even a word? You know what I mean, lol. But anyways, if you want something that will have ALL the power and functionality that you need and still be amazingly convinient, go with the laptop. But if you one of these stubborn people that must have his power and performance, go with that desktop. But in your situation I would definately recommend the laptop. Hope this helps. Hobo.

oh yeah, sorry i forgot to add this in....i'm not really sure what your budget is like or what your parents are willing to spend, but if you can get them to go expensive or you can throw in some of your own money....looke at Alien Ware laptops....they rox. i wanted one but i needed my laptop quick and it would take 2 to 3 months for me to get it because i live in the cayman islands.....http://www.alienware.com/ check it out

Depends really on if the laptop is wireless and if the your home/school is set up for wireless. My brother got a wireless laptop and loves it to death. Definetly a plus. It's pretty much top of the line, and he's not a tech geek so he doesn't care about upgrading, not that he really could, its a laptop. I'd say go with the laptop unless you'll be doing some heavy programs or gaming, than go to a desktop.

I think since you are going to be in college and you are probably going to want to use your pc in different places of the campus i say you should get a laptop, its the best choice, b/c lets say that you want to copy the notes that your teacher is saying out loud, you can just pull your laptop out and then you can jsut start typing.

For highschool graduation my parents said they will get me a computer. I have the choice of a desktop computer and a PDA or a Laptop computer. I am having trouble deciding which would be better. I will probably be going to the University of Missouri which, for the most part is wireless enabled. I am leaning toward the desktop, PDA solution, but suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Update:

Having considering my options. I have settled on a laptop. I have now begun to look for one.

Any suggestions on where to get a cheap, reliable laptop? What specs should I go with?

I have about $1500 dollars to spend and it will be used on a wireless campus primarily for office apps, multimedia, and internet browsing.

Thanks for the help.

38902[/snapback]

hmm iwulda said desk but o well. look at best by and any local comp stores like compusa for it. also look online. since your not going for a hardcore gaming computer id say your not gona be spendin all ur money there. your looking for just a basic plain old laptop. but seeign as basics are always boring... id go with something that can do what you want on free time aswell. im not saying go completely over blow your budget and add 2k to buy an alienware im thinking maybe a dell here as in they lean tworads basicness. but if you want to go out and above your expectations your going to have to break your budget buddy. Since macs are office computers not gaming computers go for one of there laptops. im not saying macs are my favorite as in that many games are not playable on them. if your looking to download things its not your exactly best choice. i myself personally bought a alienware laptop for 4k and it was love at first sight. i cant let go of it lol.

but watever you want man is wat ur getin. gl with ur shopping.