xisto Community
joshua132

Laptop Vs Desktop Graduation Present, Which one?

For highschool graduation my parents said they will get me a computer. I have the choice of a desktop computer and a PDA or a Laptop computer. I am having trouble deciding which would be better. I will probably be going to the University of Missouri which, for the most part is wireless enabled. I am leaning toward the desktop, PDA solution, but suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Update:

Having considering my options. I have settled on a laptop. I have now begun to look for one.

Any suggestions on where to get a cheap, reliable laptop? What specs should I go with?

I have about $1500 dollars to spend and it will be used on a wireless campus primarily for office apps, multimedia, and internet browsing.

Thanks for the help.

For highschool graduation my parents said they will get me a computer. I have the choice of a desktop computer and a PDA or a Laptop computer. I am having trouble deciding which would be better. I will probably be going to the University of Missouri which, for the most part is wireless enabled. I am leaning toward the desktop, PDA solution, but suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally - if you are serious about computers usage - I would forget PDA. Its not really useful for much - looks good but not good enough for full regular use - so if you want to wtach movies ( always good on campus )) and do some serious word proceessing etc -get a notebook. Some of the new ones would be very light and easy to carry - I odn't think you owuld regret your decisinon.

I'm in a similar dilemma myself...I am definately leaning towards a notebook, however. What you plan on studying may impact your decision. I want to be an architecture major, so I'm gonna be scurrying about transferring files to and fro constantly--the laptop makes this much more convenient. For entertainment purposes, notebooks certainly have the edge, as well. You can't lay in bed with your desktop computer and watch movies :rolleyes: Go with a notebook. You won't regret it.

Alright, guess that it's time for me to go against the grain.I'd say: go with the desktop. The prices are so much more reasonable, so you can get a great (and fast, feature rich) system for the price of an average laptop. Even though your parents are buying and you aren't, still...it's a better deal.Plus, desktops are so much easier to relace/repair/upgrade. If you need a new hard drive with a desktop, you buy it and plug it in. If you need that for a laptop...yikes. You'll probably have to send it in to the manufacturer or something. And if your laptop gets damaged or something...good luck getting somebody to fix it. Whereas all computer guys can usually fix desktops.And...I just don't like laptops, either. :rolleyes:

I have been using two different laptops in university for 3 years now and the ability to move them back and forth when I go home home during the breaks is great.Moreover, you can sit at lets say a library or a cafeteria and with wireless do ehatever you want during your time off between classes.I would only go with a desktop + PDA solution if the PDA is going to have advanced features such as Wi-Fi, large lcd and 64+ RAM. Even then, the pda+desktop will be more expensive than a laptop since laptops dropped in price dramatically in the last few years.

Ok, this is how i see it:

LapTops:

PROS:

Mobile, (can take to lectures etc)

Small,

CONS:

Expensive

Easily stolen

Not easily upgradeable

Desktops have more powerful hardware.

Battery life

Desktops:

PROS:

Cheaper

Easily upgraded

More Powerful hardware available

CONS:

Stationary (or not easily moved)

Large

Theres my opinions :rolleyes:

Basiclly, if you need a PC for your dorm to do work on/and gameing then get a Desktop

But if you NEED to do work/take ntoes in places other than your dorm then get a laptop.

I'd go with the Desktop and PDA solution--err option. (I've been looking too long at webhosts...)Here's why:PDA's you can take with you all the time, and are very, very handy. Laptops you only take with you when you know you'll need it, and you're not going to use it to jot down notes.Desktops are far cheaper and easier to upgrade and tinker with. If you'll have time, they also are certainly better for games.

lets make one thing clear, laptops are NOT underpowered anymoredesktop replacement systems are just as fast as dekstops and have no problems with any kind of 3d games. I own such a system I bought one and a half year ago and still have no problems with any game at all.Another pro is that since you cannot very easily upgrade laptops (actually I can even upgrade my cpu, but very useless...) so you'll be spending less money afterwards. Sometimes there are great deals, I got my rig for ?700 for example and even have a dvd-rw in it.

Meny users write about 'upgrades' as a con for laptops... Of course - you can't upgrade a laptop, but why would one need that? Let's say you buy a laptop now. You'll probably get a 3.0 MHz processor, but one with a good graphic card, and that's all! If you'll need a larger HDD you can change it to a bigger one! If you'll need a larger amount of RAM, you can get more! And you probably won't need a faster processor for let's say 3 years from now, and the graphic card should hold for even longer!There is one thing that can break everything that i've said. If you need the computer mostly for gaming - a desktop would be a better choice. But if you work on it as much as play - choose laptop! I'm working on mine, and i play on it casualy. It's an old model, but still i find it good for games!It's all up to your needs.

This is such a hard choice... I don't think either choice is optimal. I went to a wireless-enabled college, and I found this solution optimal: get a desktop and a laptop! Just get an old or used laptop that you can work on but not play on... since you have wireless access, your laptop can always "call home" to the desktop, letting you use the desktop as the real workhorse. Gaming on desktops is always better than on laptops anyway. The laptop won't wear out as fast cause you'll only use it when you're "out". For the cost of a good PDA you can get a laptop that's a few years old... maybe as fast as 1 Gigahertz, with a basic graphics card and wireless access. Use the laptop as a portable connection to your desktop, and you're all set!

I would go for laptop, i'm using a laptop all the time (for everything) and it's just cool. it's small, the batterys are pretty good (it can just keep on like 4 to 5 hours a day, using it alot. the screen is better, the keyboard is better. i can't upgrade it, but that doesn't matter, it works like this (pentium 4, 1.8 GHZ, 30 GB hard disc, 15,1" screen, toshiba pro 2100 i think) i can play most games on it, and it's 3 years old now! i can take it anywhere, and at home i use a mouse with a wire on it (USB)and if you look at the pricing, for about $800 to $1,500 you have a good laptop (thisone was more expensive, because of the bigger screen <extra large because i don't have very good eyes>)