xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kasm

Why Cows. Sheep And Goats Give Milk Without Giving Birth

We know that human's mother produce milk only after giving birth and not before. It is the case of the most of mamals.

But I am wondering why cows, sheep and goats give milk almost every day and without giving birth?

Please ask your biology teacher, if you don't have your own sugestion.

Morever let us know if there are mammals other than cows, sheep and goats that give milk without giving birth.

Another question I know the answer to. I grew up near a farm, so I know a lot about animals and such.Generally, cows do have to be pregnant to produce milk. Cows begin to produce milk after they give birth, and will continue to do so until they are "dried-off". For most cows, milk production increases until about 90 days after they give birth, then it will gradually decline. If I cow is re-bred during the 60-90 day period, she will typically produce milk for another 300 days, using the rest of the time to give her mammary gland time to recover for the calf she is holding in her womb. There are however certain breeds of cows which come from good milk lines, examples are Jersey and Holstein breeds, that will produce milk without ever being pregnant while they are young. This is called Spontaneous lactation, virgin lactation, or Maiden Milk. This also happens with a couple of type of dairy goats.

Edited by baphometslayer (see edit history)

Humans are also able to produce milk without being pregnant. It has something to do with the horomones in the body. Some overweight males have actually been observed lactating. And some women who have had children but no longer breast feed or the child is outside of the breastfeeding stage have lactated just from hearing another baby crying (not even their own child)! The human body is a very very weird and mysterious thing.

But I am wondering why cows, sheep and goats give milk almost every day and without giving birth?

I think you are totally wrong. Cows, sheep and goats do not give milk without giving birth (except any exceptional cases). Normally they give milk after giving birth. I do not know, why are u thinking that they gives milk without birth.

It is possible to get milk from them without giving birth, but it is exceptional case. It is possible to get 2 eggs/ day from a chicken by using lighting effect, but it is not a normal process, like that you may get milk from them without giving birth to change their hormonal balance, but it also not a normal process.

So, I think, there is some misunderstanding in your information and cows, sheep and goats do not give milk without giving birth.

No mammal gives milk without giving birth, many non-organic farmers give cows genetics to start producing milk. Goats give birth at a young age. And as tourist said, it is possible for animals to give birth, but under modified conditions. They dont do it naturally.

Wow.... I had never thought about this. I always thought that cows just gave milk, no matter if they were pregnant or not.

where i know.. sheep, goats and cows milk after giving brit. they give milk upto 1.5 to 2 years of the birth .. and some farmer can take it more to this after giving injection but i guess it's not right to give injection to animal for milk . i heard it's not right to do.

... Generally, cows do have to be pregnant to produce milk. Cows begin to produce milk after they give birth, and will continue to do so until they are "dried-off". For most cows, milk production increases until about 90 days after they give birth, then it will gradually decline. If I cow is re-bred during the 60-90 day period, she will typically produce milk for another 300 days, using the rest of the time to give her mammary gland time to recover for the calf she is holding in her womb.

There are however certain breeds of cows which come from good milk lines, examples are Jersey and Holstein breeds, that will produce milk without ever being pregnant while they are young. This is called Spontaneous lactation, virgin lactation, or Maiden Milk. This also happens with a couple of type of dairy goats.

1. I read your reply long time ago and was happy to gain information starting from your answer that open my eyes to some facts. Thanks. So I went to do some search.

2. You told that they giving milk for 90 days after giving birth then if the cow re-breed during the 60-90 day, then they give milk for another 300 day. That what is doing by the milk industry and this which make me to think that cow gives milk continuiously without giving birth.

4. Morever you told us thankfully that there are cetain breeds of cows produce milk without ever being pregnant. That why let me asked the question in headings of this topic. That why they keep a male cow in the breeding place.

5. Then my question is still exist and continue by other face. Why that the cow can give milk most of time? Why this are happening to the cows, sheep or goats?

Well, sorry to prove anyone wrong, but I have only two Saanan goat does, sisters in fact, who are pets, and are certainly not around billies. Just today in fact, I checked the teat of one of them as its teats were very enlarged, and to my UDDER (utter) surprise, MILK came out!!! There is NO WAY this goat could be pregnat, yet she has milk! So I did some research on line (which is how I ended up on here) and lo and behold, at least for a Saanan, it is not all that rare for there to occur what is termed "spontaneous lactation". They have NOT been treated with hormones in any way. So it CAN, and DOES (ha ha) happen!