xisto Community
Tunay

Dying In My Sleep? forcing myself to wake up to avoid my heart from stopping?

Thats actually something really strange ...It is might because you are fed of something in life and just you want to make a escape from it....so it may be because of thisI would like to give a advice that seek some psychatrist advice or something like that...this would really help. :lol:

The next physical you have you should discuss it with you're doctor. But im 100% sure that this is a sleep disorder. What happens is you wake up when you are in the dreaming state, although you might feel you're heart rate and breathing rate is low, but in reality it is the normal rate of which you sleep at (everyone sleeps with an abnormal heart rate, its because it lowers the important thing is the fact that it doesn't start beating. Think about it, its logical...you're heart beats 24/7 a day until the day you die. Like all muscles the heart needs to rest. During sleep this is the time it can do that, so the heart rate slows down dramatically. Your heart rate and breathe rate differ when you are awake and asleep.

This is the normal sleep pattern:

REM sleep is more active. Breathing and heart rate become irregular, your eyes move rapidly back and forth under your eyelids, and control of your body temperature is impaired so that you do not sweat when you are hot or shiver when you are cold. Below the neck, however, you are inactive because the nerve impulses that travel down the spinal cord to body muscles are blocked. Your body is essentially paralyzed. It is during this sleep stage that you dream.

Quoted from: <http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;

Whats essentially happening is that you're waking up when the rest of your body is still essentially paralyzed. Talk to your doctor and rely this information to her and she will believe you for sure.

Edit: added quote citation.

Edited by savge17 (see edit history)

you believe in that ghost thing? don't let people scare you.. alot of ppl say that a ghost is holding them down , it is kinda silly. ive nvr experienced that when i slp but sumtimes wen i wake up i cnt feel my legs until like mins later... but thats not sumthing bad, so yer dnt sit around n let ppl tell u wat they think it is n go see a professional

As well as everyone else - tell your mum that you aint joking, then see the doctor. You could be athsmatic, but theres a chance. You might be layed in a bad position, try adding a few pillows underneath your head to see if that helps. Usually i cant breathe very well when i lay flat on my back. Adjustable beds actually solve snoring problems because the throat, when you are perfectly horizontal, clamps together so the person snores.

It is probably, though only a doctor could tell you for certain, REM paralysis. Sometimes while dreaming I also would wake up, usually because the dream was about spiders - a particular phobia of mine. Now I wasn't listening to my heart or my breathing, I was holding perfectly still because in those dream-ridden moments I was certain that there was something vile in the darkness that would pounce if I made a single movement or sound. If you are particularly worried about dying in your sleep that might be what is causing your problems.

Now a few words about Sleep Apnea. The danger of Sleep Apnea is that when the throat closes enough to deny sufficient oxygen to the lungs the heart works extra hard to extract the oxygen it can. A long enough time without air and the brain will wake the body up long enough to get a breath. Mild Sleep Apnea means your body isn't really getting rest. Full blown Sleep Apnea is like your heart ran a marathon while you slipped in and out of sleep.

I went to bed at around 10 am (because i was here on trap cause i'm an addict :D) and i fell asleep with no problem. I don't know why this happens to me but sometimes when i hear a long beep in my head i can feel my heart slowing down along with my breaths getting heavier and heavier. When this happens i open my eyes and try to move but my body doesn't allow me to and my breathing becomes heavier while i gasp for air. So i try to take deep breaths but it doesn't work so i force myself to rigorously jerk my head and my body. i don't know why this happens but i almost stop breathing and can feel my heart slowing down and its scares me.
is this a sleep disorder of some sort? I told my mom about it and she thinks i'm just joking around :D someone help me? and possibly put me at ease :D

Go to a rabi and tell him you have a ghost attached to you,

I am not kidding.

dying in sleep

Dying In My Sleep?

Replying to Tunay

Just to let you know I have suffered with this experiance for years, it starts with a loud buzzing noise in your sleep which then makes you concious of being awake even though your not. It sometimes feels like you can see through your eyelids while asleep, if you know what I mean, then as you become more aware you feel the need to remind yourself to breath and thats when the struggle begins to awake yourself, sometimes its my heart I think is slowing down and even though I'm asleep I start to tell myself if I don't breath I'm going to die, but you find if you ride with it, you don't actually die at all your body kicks into gear and your breathing and heart will just carry on as normal, at first it is very frightening but if you like me you will get used to it.

I personally don't know why this happens to me, I preffer to see it as a kind of spiritual experiance like an out of body experiance, but after nearly ten years of going through this I'm still here, still sleeping still breathing and my heart is still beating...

-reply by urbana

Replying to TunayYou really are dying in your sleep. Again last night I came the closest to dying I ever have. The numbness set in, could not wake myself up, breathing was faint and chest pain and head pain increased as body went totally numb. For some uknown reason I thrashed and jerked myself and fought violently to make myself move in areas that were clamping off and losing circulation. I fought so hard I dislocated my shoulder. I stagger after these episodes and usually can't walk. It takes an hour or so go regain circulation. Even after I regain circulation my head feels dead. Yesterday I left my keys in the car and my car running. My friend Stephen said, Sherry, you left your keys, that is wrong with you! I said, I've never done this before. I feel I'm too far gone to wake. It's like you're dead mentally. I feel dead sometimes in sleep but last night it was worst. Almost didn't. A very hard battle. It's gotten harder to where I feel tonight may be my last. I may not wake up. -reply by sherry

This is the second time it happens to me.1st time. It was like I couldnt be heard, I screamed banged on the walls but it was killing me. And finally when I was out of energy and about to "die" it went away. Called my mom she was like go to bed it was a dream I was like no it wasnt! I was awake! I stayed up scared.This time it happened 2 days ago.! but it was way different I couldnt move or scream. I was so scared, I didnt know what to do. I thought to myself, try and move supper quick and force yourseld out of it.I would stop and then try to brutally move fast but nothing...I felt a hand on my head, I was dying...But I forced my eyes open again and saw white stuff like someones white hand. I said ok. Atleast I know someone killed me. Closed my eyes ready to die, and it went away. Shoked I stood up and looked around my room. Nothign was there. My dog was dead asleep. I stayed up all night again. I havent slept. I decided to research about it. And I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one with this problem. Reading all this made me feel like there is hope and solution for this. If anyone knows what this might be please let me know.I might not come around this page again cause I found it by luck but please email me about info or related stuff. DOEC_A7X@LIVE.COMIll be waiting :/

YOU MIGHT HAVE NARCOLEPSY!!??!

Dying In My Sleep?

Replying to Tunay

I've had this feeling before... Minus the long beeping sound. It's all part of a sleeping disorder called narcolepsy. The episode you described could be sleep paralysis (which happens in narcolepsy). It really freaked me out the first few times it happened too... Cause my body would seem like it was going so long without breathing, so my mind would be racing like Don't you need to breathe?? Aren't you supposed to breathe?? Why aren't you breathing yet!?! But then once I calmed down and just went with it, I realized it really wasn't anything uncomfortable. It was just like my body was gearing down into sleep mode before my mind had a chance to shut off and do the same. Please check out some articles on narcolepsy to see if some of the other symptoms line up!! Most people suffer for YEARS without them or their doctors realizing that narcolepsy could be the cause!! Good luck!!

-------------------------------------

ADMIN:personal Opinion....

I feel this must be by far the most wonderful experience any human can feel :-)

I don't care of science and I know, I m not fortunate enough to die.

So, If I do get an experience, I'd love to experience the peace and shanti ...

Hari Om.

Tunay,I am 100% sure you are suffering from a symptom called "sleep paralysis".For a full description go to Wikipedia and look it up. I had classic symptoms such as a feeling of a racing heart, complete paralysis, fighting to move even one inch, burning chest, feeling of someone sitting on me, feelings of ghosts in the room, buzzing and ringing in my ears and a feeling of terror and death. Sound familiar? I went to my doctor and he told me it was the sleep chemicals in my brain messing around and keeping my physical body asleep when my mind had woken up. This is why you feel paralysed. The buzzing, fear, heart racing etc are all psychological symptoms of this. In fact, scientists did tests on sufferers and their heart rates were found to be completely normal, despite the feeling they were racing. It is purely psychological because the brain is "out of sink" with reality for a short time. I was so relieved that I wasn't going mad or going to die...Or worse the ghosts I thought were there drag me off to hell! If I ever have the paralysis now I just relax, explain to myself what has happened, keep calm and focus on the burning, heavy chest is just a psychological sympytom and then I wake up. Its great, its such a relief. I'm sure its not sleep aponea as I saw mentioned, sleep aponea is where you struggle for breath during sleep because of weight/size/chemical imbalances etc, but without the symptoms of fear, paranoia, ghosts etc. Sleep paonea is simply that you can't breathe, whereas sleep paralysis is a separation of waking consciousness from a sleeping body, therefore giving pretty spooky symptoms. You most surely have sleep paralysis becasue of the symptoms you are experiencing. Check with you doctor though as I'm not a medic! I hope this helps and very good luck to you.

Tunay,I am 100% sure you are suffering from a symptom called "sleep paralysis".For a full description go to Wikipedia and look it up. I had classic symptoms such as a feeling of a racing heart, complete paralysis, fighting to move even one inch, burning chest, feeling of someone sitting on me, feelings of ghosts in the room, buzzing and ringing in my ears and a feeling of terror and death. Sound familiar? I went to my doctor and he told me it was the sleep chemicals in my brain messing around and keeping my physical body asleep when my mind had woken up. This is why you feel paralysed. The buzzing, fear, heart racing etc are all psychological symptoms of this. In fact, scientists did tests on sufferers and their heart rates were found to be completely normal, despite the feeling they were racing. It is purely psychological because the brain is "out of sink" with reality for a short time. I was so relieved that I wasn't going mad or going to die...Or worse the ghosts I thought were there drag me off to hell! If I ever have the paralysis now I just relax, explain to myself what has happened, keep calm and focus on the burning, heavy chest is just a psychological sympytom and then I wake up. Its great, its such a relief. I'm sure its not sleep aponea as I saw mentioned, sleep aponea is where you struggle for breath during sleep because of weight/size/chemical imbalances etc, but without the symptoms of fear, paranoia, ghosts etc. Sleep paonea is simply that you can't breathe, whereas sleep paralysis is a separation of waking consciousness from a sleeping body, therefore giving pretty spooky symptoms. You most surely have sleep paralysis becasue of the symptoms you are experiencing. Check with you doctor though as I'm not a medic! I hope this helps and very good luck to you. -reply by Luke

I think you'd better go see a doctor about this because it sounds pretty serious. It might be a sleeping disorder of some sort or a breathing problem but a doctor would be able to tell you more.

Force your mum to understand you then force her to take you to a doctor. This seems pretty serious! Here are some symptoms of sleep disorder:
Do You:

feel irritable or sleepy during the day? have difficulty staying awake when sitting still, watching television or reading?
fall asleep or feel very tired while driving?
have difficulty concentrating?
often get told by others that you look tired?
react slowly?
have emotional outbursts?
feel like taking a nap almost every day?
require caffeinated beverages to keep yourself going?

If so, you probably have sleep disorder and NEED to see a doctor 100% no exuses!

Good Luck and Get Well Soon