xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce517

Pros/cons Of Protein Shakes.

I've been making protein shakes for years and they are one of my favorite foods...incredibly filling and nutritious. I don't weight lift, but I'm a runner, and I find that a shake a few hours before running keeps me sustained and energetic. I use whey protein powder as opposed to soy, mostly because I like the taste better and because whey is a complete protein, that is, it contains all the essential amino acids (building blocks of protein). I've heard that consuming a large amount of protein after working out is good for your muscles since it's the optimal time for them to absorb it, but I have yet to try this.I think the only real con to a protein shake would be the taste...many people don't like them. But that can easily be changed with flavorings and add-ins, such as cocoa powder, fruit, peanut butter, etc.

I dont think that there is anything wrong with protein milkshakes, they are pure protein, which is really good, and most of them have other nutrients and minerals that will also boost your bodies condition. I also recommend consuming them after workout since I have also heard it is the most optimal time to do so. Just watch out for the ones that have carnitin or something like that, a nutriologist told me that it is bad.

like others have said above, there is nothing wrong with protein shakes. Its like 2 chicken breasts in a class and a lot more convenient. I do a lot of cardio and weight lifting and protein is the most important thing to get into your body immediately after the workout. It helps build the torn muscles. Also, many come with essential bcaas (branched chain amino acids) that are crucil to a person working out or just trying to be healthy. The last pro is they have many flavors that taste great. I love chocolate, it is to die for. When you shop for protein powder check out how much sugar and sodium is in each serving as well as grams of protein. You should look for something between 20-35g a serving. Keep in mind the body can only take-in about 40g of protein at one time so anymore that that is useless.

i usually take some after lifting coz i find it helps me recover ALOT faster...honestly i HATE the taste of it.... (Don't even get me started on the LOOK of it....)So far i haven't seen any bad side effects on the shakes... i'm pretty sure they're safe... (As long as you don't like OD on them somehow...)

out of the wrestling season i use protein shakes before and after lifting i was hoping some of you would post your ideas, thoughts, and facts about the pros and cons of protein shakes.

Protein shakes are a great supplement for your muscles. When you are weight lifting and the period of building up muscle and gaining quality weight, it's essential that you take some protein shakes to boost your gain. Your muscles are almost fully composed of proteins so the protein shakes will be the nutrients and raw material for your muscles to grow bigger. But keep in mind that you need to change your protein shake from time to time because there are many kinds of protein shakes and the best thing to do is take a combination of many proteins rather than soy or whey alone or something like that. Moreover, you need to take the protein shake according to what your physician tells you to do, otherwise you wouldn't benefit from it or at least not as much as desired, and in some cases if the protein shake wasn't taken properly it might have some bad consequences on your body and might enhance the secretion of some hormones excessively and irregularly causing some serious problems in your body. Most protein shakes are taken two hours pre-training and again two hours post training, but it all depends on your body type and body's metabolism and that's why it's best to consult your physician or gym coach before taking any supplement.

consequences of protein shakesPros/cons Of Protein Shakes.

I play a lot of rugby, and have taken protein shakes because as others have said protein is the best thing for your muscles after a work out. Although my best friends mum is a nurse and she says that it can lead to kidney/liver problems if taken excessively. 

-reply by Mike Dean

Whey protein is quickly digested and absorbed by the body. Which makes it ideal for a post-workout meal. However, it is for that reason (fast digestion and absorption) that I make sure that my main source of protein is something that is digested slowly. Sometimes though, there's not enough time to prepare a meal. So 40 grams of protein and some milk will have to suffice for a meal until I can getsome real food in my body.