xisto Community
sonesay

Staring Problem Do you do it? how to stop it.

I will stare into somebody's eye without wanting to because my left eye feel gridiness. Sometimes my lower left eyelid will shut on its own. I also feel puffiness behind my eyes. Do you think this could be thyroid eye disease?

-reply by Lex Rothman

any input?

Staring Problem

I am forced to stare at people when I don't want to. In a movie theater, I will stare at people that are surrounding that are in my field of view even though I am watching the movie.

I tell myself not to look at them because it feels uncomfortable even for me and I can not not look at the people which I am trying not to look at. Also if I am watching tv with friends I am forced to look at them and it feels awkward unless I completely block them out of my field of view.

Even if I have just one of their feet in my sight I will try and look at the foot- but at the same time, I am watching the tv. Who knew this was possible? I didn't and I am dreading the fact that it is. Any advice? Any idea?

-tank

Hi

I have the same problem, it started about two weeks ago for no reason. It's really annoyning. Did you find any way to stop this?

PS: Sorry for the thread digging and for my english.

Some of these symptoms are actually associated with OCD, on the onset of these problems has anyone found you were in a highly stressed or tired period in your life? By doing an action like the ones mentioned in the above posts (even just once), it may cause guilt, shame or embarrassment for a person. So they intensely focus on trying to suppress the action which cruelly can have the opposite effect and repeat itself, its weird logic but too true. Eventually, if you repeat through this cycle too much you develop obsessive compulsive symptoms and the only solution is to stop suppressing to get over it!

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I recently faced the same problem, but I think the reason why is how I recently was spending my life. Getting drunk everyday. Getting high by smoking and other kind of drugs such as LSD and *BLEEP*. After that I noticed that when I'm normal I can not stare at anyones eyes. I will look into his eyes for three seconds then change the look to somewhere else and back to his eyes or any other place. Just like searching for a place to keep your eyes on for awhile. I even forgot how I used to look into people before, now I have stopped all kind of dugs but still cant stare normally. I know I look uncomfortable when talkin to someone. And once I challenge myself to look straight to ones eyes I look like giving him a devil stare. What I think its something in our minds. We have reached by mistake another level of thoughts that is most likely wrong. I noticed when I talk to somebody my mind will keep spinning here and there and listnening to him at the same time. Kind of losing innocence that really pissed me off.

and i thought i was the only oneStaring Problem

So yes, I also think I have the same "problem" as all of you guys: ITend to 'look' or 'stare' into people's eyes for a period of time andTransfer my stare to a different person or focus on something else. ISubconsciously do it but at the same time, just like all of you, I knowI'm doing it. I started to develop this bad habit when I startedRealizing how funny it was to stare at people and change my facialExpressions, seeing how it would also change their expressions. I got aKick out of it for a while, only because I would be pretty high andDidn't really care. However, it started to develop to the point where IWould do it when I'm not even high, and it's hard for me to even showMyself in public to people because of the fact that I just constantlyDo it. Even at parties, at the mall, or even with my good friends, IGenerally will put my head down and "look/stare." Even worse, I haveTendencies to over-analyze the situation of me staring and it just putsMe in a STUCK situation where I just listen to my ownself rather thanHaving fun with my friends. But sometimes we all have to realize it'sJust a sign of being self-conscious, and that we need to build ourSelf-confidence with people. I noticed that, with this bad habit, itCan result to a "memory loss" of remembering people and what they say.It's definitely a hard problem to fix but it's all up the the person toFigure it out. Just like what etycto's mom said, the mouth canGenerally help cope with this issue by smiling. 

It's been monthsThat I still continue or "feel like" I still possess this problem. ButWe just need to all find interests or people we feel comfortable with,To have a good time with, to eliminate it. And I definitely can say I'mGradually getting better.

opinionStaring Problem

well, I have made alot of researches regarding this issue as I myself do also have the same problem, and I have figured out something, the main reason is dilated pupils. And pupils got dilated for many reasons. And the most common are eye drops and drugs such as *BLEEP*, majic mashrooms and LSD.

when your pupils got dilated  your eyesight will be focusing only on one point. You will not look to things normally cuz each look u make is a stare. And looking in one point only for along time is something hard to do without practicing.

with normal pupils the image will be wide so u wont feel like your staring and u don't need to keep moving your eyes, with dilated pupils if u r talking to someone u will look to his eyes. And while looking to his eyes and because your pupils are dilated the image will be small and the look will be very tight. So once u look to him and tried to keep your eye on his u will feel like if u r looking directly to his puple only and kinda passing through his eye.I know how hard it is to do so.

theres sometihng u can do that will help a bit..

we all have two eyes..One is soft and one is dominant.

first of all point with your finger to anything infront of u. Close one of your eyes and use the other one. Then do it again closing the other one...The one that makes your finger closer to the object your pointing to is your dominant eye..

if u r talking to a girl u want to flirt with use the triangle look; by looking to the right eye , left and then to her lips..Or if u can do it after practicing, use your soft eye for staring. Your soft one only..

if u r talking to someone u don't like or u just want to mess with his ideas , use your dominant eye and keep staring at his soft one, with that u will lock his eyes..

if u are talking to more than one person u can just move your eyes from one to another and also the easiest way to look while your talking is to look between the eyes, u will make him feel like if ure looking at him while actually u r not..

use your hands while talking and play with your facial expressions.

for practicing, look to any small dot infront of u 1m far and keep staring at for one minute for one week. At the beginning it will be tough. The next week look at the mirror, use your dominant eye and keep staring at your soft one .. Tough but after practicing u will get a better look a bit wider image and the most important thing is to stop DRUGS especially the mentioned above. For pots and smokes it has nothing to do with that . But still it doesnt mean that I'm encouraging to smoke.. 

-reply by tornado

I remember in school we used to play the 'Stare Game'. All that was needed was to keep staring without blinking the eyes. It all needed three people to the minimum. Two of us would stare and one would be a judge. I almost lost every time. I get easily distracted by maybe the ear ring, or the bindi, and blink my eyes. One incident which is very memorable for me was when we were playing and our science teacher came in. I was determined not to lose and so I kept on looking straight in the eyes of Natasha. I only realised after some time that my science teacher was also staring at me. The very next moment I took off the eyes and looked at him he asked me to come over to his table. I was sure I will be punished but he had other plans. He asked me to pull in a chair and sit in front of him. Immediately he challenged me for the game. However he said, not more than five minutes in case no one wins. I lost in less than one minute's time. The next thing was, we got to treat from Sir in the canteen for his win. I think it was very daring for me to take up the challenge in the first place. I still not know what his thoughts were about me but I liked him. Not only as a teacher but also as a person. The stare game still continues between our friends and that perticular incident will always be a memorable one for me. Natasha once in a while would tease me and ask what I saw in his eyes that I pulled off so early. I never replied.

insecurity. that's why people stare. insecurity. when people reailze certain facts about themselves is when change can occur. not until then. WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

any input?

Staring Problem

I am forced to stare at people when I don't want to. In a movie theater, I will stare at people that are surrounding that are in my field of view even though I am watching the movie.

I tell myself not to look at them because it feels uncomfortable even for me and I can not not look at the people which I am trying not to look at. Also if I am watching tv with friends I am forced to look at them and it feels awkward unless I completely block them out of my field of view.

Even if I have just one of their feet in my sight I will try and look at the foot- but at the same time, I am watching the tv. Who knew this was possible? I didn't and I am dreading the fact that it is. Any advice? Any idea?

-tank

OMG I do exactly the same thing, I've been doing it for over two years now and is very uncomfortable. I've been on medication for around this time as well since my doctor said it was an ocd but I am really tired of it I really don't know what's going to happen with me everything you describe is exactly what I do. But why, why do I this? =(

Ok I got this problem where when ever I talk to someone my eyes cant stay focused on their eyes for long. Keeping eye contact for me is so hard, Eventually it will go over their features including face, body parts depending on who I am talking to. This is serious I know its rude to stare at people yet I still do it, I'm wondering how many of you do it out there.
It seems I do this to everyone I talk to friends, family, strangers. I feel so bad after the conversation is over and hope I didnt offend them. I know no ones perfect in looks but somehow I just do it. I'm not perfect looking myself, far from it yet I do it to others. The one annoying thing I notice is always looking at peoples teeth. My teeth isnt 100% white, clean and pefect but I still examine others for a second when talking to them, and if its slightly dirty I feel myself going "eww". And if their breath stinks its even worse I'm sure my reaction shows some sign of disgust. I dont mean to judge them but somehow I seem to do this and at most times I cant seem to stop it. Like I said these are everyone, random people, my friends and family.

what are your thoughts on this? please share.

this is the problem and you should start work on it. there is always reason behind these kind of problem try to find that and work on that. People get offended when you see their body features. I suggest you to talk with doctor...

Like i mentioned in a previous post in this topic this is a strong symptom of OCD, i know because ive been faced with it and solved it (mostly). The trouble is your mind becomes fixated on something (anything) which is typically considered socially innapropriate. Whatever that "thing" is, it typically causes an individual guilt/distress/anxiety and due to this they try to force themselves to stop the action.While this very much makes sense to most people, those who treat such individuals (or recovered individuals themselves) know better. You can't suppress the action, it will go out of control like a weed, the only way is to confront it by purposely doing it or letting it go (dont worry about it whatsoever). As anxiety decreases your fixated mindset will shift from its current repetitious tendancies into much more normal "concerns". Although for me personally, i know for a fact that i've got be careful how much pressure i put on myself because i get close to relapses, otherwise. I actually have studied a little on Sigmund Freud, what i interpret from his logic is people with strong neurosis issue's such as OCD, phobias and such have a lot of inhibited feelings which are held onto. Intense physicial activity may externalize these inhibited energies and gradually help you over time. That is kinda where the idea of laying down talking to a therapist originated, from Freud's theory of releasing and externalizing previously held energies (but he kinda inappropriately attributed it to sexual libido as almost everything else, must of been a horny fella).Please talk to your doctor, but understand that some may not know OCD symptoms properly themselves. In that case see a psychologist.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

why do i stare at girls from work?Staring Problemhave a problem at work. I keep staring at girls at work but I am a girl. I really can't stop it but I'm not a lesbo or like girls that way. I try looking down when I'm working but that doesn't work. It not on purpose that I stare at them. I think they are uncomfortable with it. I mean they are nice and I know they are trying to be friendly but I don't know them at all . This one girl I don't know her name but I think she pretty but that all. Please help-question by rachel

exact same same thing I have when I'm in cinema/movie theater I stare but ill give u some advice cos I never visited the doctor so let me tell you one thing is face it if your starring at someone let it happen no matter how weird you feel then afterr a few weeks itll get better and the problem will go.OR just squint close your eyes to leave a small gap starring would go. Another is put your hands and cover the part in which theree in view.

how do I know? because I solved it thank God

another thing record yourself well thats not possible ask your freind to record yourself talking to someone youll be suprised what u see

its OCD...Every ocd problem can be solved but only if they have enough will power

-reply by abdihasan abdirizak

staring problemStaring Problem

wow, thought I was the only one.  I think it's an obsessive thoughts problem OC without the D. My Dr, prescribed prozac and it seems to be helping a bit.  Or maybe it's just the placebo effect. Heh. Ive been doing this 4 years ago and it has really taken a toll on my life. No joke. My confident level is to the floor because I know that they are uncomfortable conversing with me. I tend to stare at girl's cleavage, or the outline of it etc (like someone eles's posting above), plus I also stare at men's crotch area. I'm am not overly thinking about sex or their parts or anything. (I'm a 21 year old female).I just uncontrollably do it and I tell myself not to do it and become more anxious. Sometimes this happens with looking at random people in the background. I'm not talking to them-I'm supposed to pay attention to a discussion in class but I can't help but gaze at the person next to me.  I know she see's me because she tries to catch me. The only way I could stop it is to leave, or turn my back to her. I cannot focus on the conversation when this happens, which leaves the person uncomfortable. This starring problem forces me to isolate myself from people (everyone, family included), and my happiness has plunged. 

I agree with many solution suggestions posted abouve.  Ultimately, it comes down to your anxiety and your thought process.  My Dr. Said, "Don't judge it, don't suppress it, confront it, acknowledge it and move on." Because we keep on thinking about not doing it, we can't help ourselves but do it. (just like the cetipede and walking thing mentioned above).  heh, anyhow, I haven't gotten over my problem yet but it has gotten a bit better. Hopefully I'll learn to cope better.  I don'tthink there is a quick fix solution to it. Just let go of it because it's not even important. Ask yourself, "so what?" with confidence instead of suppressing it. I improved that way. Cheers. Let me know if you have any questions. Its nice to see that I am not alone

-reply by august

?A problem? I don't see that it is a problem. If you want to keep eye contact, you'll keep eye contact. You have a decent share of control over your eyes and other body parts. Use them in a way you want to. Don't let "social standards" lull you into becoming an insecure moron.Pee es: 'course, if you use the aforementioned excuse to stare at a woman's bosom, sooner or later her lap dog bawyfrand will put you in a funeral home.

Edited by Eleison (see edit history)