xisto Community
polter

Astrology Is Fiction

i think all those things can influence anyone. wat's your point? there are a lot of things in this world and universe that can influence us including the other things that you may not believe in just like past lives, angels, spirit guides, friends or family that have already past on, etc...

when you ask what is more likely, then what you are really saying is that you have no beliefs or faith in anything you don't see or open yourself up to feel. there's more out there than anybody can possibly imagine so to discredit anything you don't see or open yourself up to feel is being completely and utterly subjective with no openess to the possibilities.

if that was the case, heck....the world should still be flat bud.

i don't know the exact definition of astrology, but to me, astrology is somewhat of a strong belief or religion. it could also be considered a science. the science behind astrology basically affects and influences nature that surounds us. human beings are only 1 part of nature as astrolgy will affect more than human beings. but we as hman beings are fascinated with the unknown and how it affects us directly which is why there are horoscopes and signs associated with it.

since you brought up religion and gods, yes, i do believe a lot of people go out of their way to believe in something that might not even exist. to them, it gives meaning to their lives where otherwise, they would have none.

as far as astrology, i don't think it just has to do with someone's personality but someone's nature in general which would also have to do with some of their own purposes in life that not even genes or the way you were raised by family or friends can control. genes and family influence will in fct never control our nature. i was one of 3 sibblings and we all turned out different and lead very very different lives. babe ruth didn't hit home runs because of family influence or his genes. it was in his nature.

now my question to you is, what influences someone's nature? by nature i mean what they were born with in regards to their own gifts and strengths? personally, i feel it has somewhat to do with higher power and astrology can in some senses be a guide to your nature and gifts and strengths and weaknesses. just because it's been tapped in to a long time ago doesn't however mean it's been perfected.

but be certain of at least one thing without calling it astrology. how planets, stars, moons, and everything else in general align in way WILL influence nature in general. i'm sure you can't discredit that so what makes you think these things cannot influence humans which are still a part of nature?

me personally, astrology and how it influences nature and people is very very likely, but i also believe a higher power is very likely too. i believe in reincarnation and i believe that everyone is born with a purpose in life that is pre determined before your even born. i believe in all that so call me crazy and wacky, but i know there will always be more out there that cannot be proven until one experiences some of those things for there own selves

It never ceesed to surprise me how people can believe in this.Just think about it... What it's more likely to influence your character? Your genes, your parents taking care of you when you were little, your first friends and so on.... or just how some planets were aligned?

And there is also that thing, like , if you are born on 24 of the month or so... If you were born 4 days earlier your personality would be totally different? I don't think so. It can't depend on that.

But there will always be people eager to believe stuff without actual proofs. That's why we had tones of Greek gods, Roman gods, people going to crucades and so on. Poor mankind.

when you ask what is more likely, then what you are really saying is that you have no beliefs or faith in anything you don't see or open yourself up to feel. there's more out there than anybody can possibly imagine so to discredit anything you don't see or open yourself up to feel is being completely and utterly subjective with no openess to the possibilities.
if that was the case, heck....the world should still be flat bud.

You got me a bit wrong (and being a bit rude in the process, too).
It's not the fact that I'm not opened and I don't listen to different theories and ways to explain life. It's just that for some things proofs exist, for some things they don't. I don't have any reason to believe in astrology without any actual proof more than I would have to believe there is an invisible pink unicorn in front of me right now (to quote a famous example).

Some people can believe in things because it sounds to them right, it's a nice story and so on. I choose not to.
I'm not trying to change your mind. I now I can't. I just wanted to post my opinion, to shout that there is another one quite tired of this things.

Let me end by a quick paragraph from wikipedia's page about Astrology.

By the time of Francis Bacon and the scientific revolution, newly emerging scientific disciplines acquired a method of systematic empirical induction validated by experimental observations, which led to the scientific revolution. At this point, astrology and astronomy began to diverge; astronomy became one of the central sciences while astrology was increasingly viewed as an occult science or superstition by natural scientists. This separation accelerated through the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
Astrology is now regarded as unscientific both by scientific bodies and by individual scientists and has been labeled as a pseudoscience. In 1975, the American Humanist Association published one of the most widely known modern criticisms of astrology, characterizing those who continue to have faith in the subject as doing so "in spite of the fact that there is no verified scientific basis for their beliefs, and indeed that there is strong evidence to the contrary".

that's all good and i guess you have basis for your opinion there. still though, your research comes from other people who probably don't believe in god either. i'm in the u.s. and a big majority of the people living here believe in "god". sp when you ask the question what is more likey.....the belief of the minority or the majority, what is the more likely belief. i know astrology and god are two diffferent things but i do believe astrology is connected to the unknown and to the energy that surrounds us all. scientists will only believe in what can be proven. what about the POSSIBILITY of something that MIGHT be true though because it can't be disproven?

you can't change my mind....i don't think anyone can do that :) but i will always incorporate all beliefs into my own while seperating what i think is b.s. while always being open to the possibilities

for instance. i was raised christian. didn't really question what i learned in church until i was a teenager. then i told my mom how can i believe in something that i don't see or feel? later, i changed my belief in the possibility and to this day, once in a blue moon i will pray to the god i was brought up knowing. why take a chance in not believing in something that might actually exist?

another instance is i was always fascinated by the unknown. i always believed in spirts and ghosts and reincarnation and such but my beliefs were never validated with hard evidence until recently. by evidence, i mean something i can share with others rather than tell some freaky stories that have actually happened to me that make no common sense except for believing in something others have tried to discredit since man's birth.

so after capturing hard proof on something that validated my belief, i am glad i am open to the possibilities and i am glad cannot be labeled someone who believes a pink unicorn is right in front of me as i am typing right now.

one thing about life bud, it has a lot more meaning behind it than just science to prove or disprove theories

i do agree with you on one thing....on only SOME things proofs exists :D

You got me a bit wrong (and being a bit rude in the process, too).It's not the fact that I'm not opened and I don't listen to different theories and ways to explain life. It's just that for some things proofs exist, for some things they don't. I don't have any reason to believe in astrology without any actual proof more than I would have to believe there is an invisible pink unicorn in front of me right now (to quote a famous example).
Some people can believe in things because it sounds to them right, it's a nice story and so on. I choose not to.
I'm not trying to change your mind. I now I can't. I just wanted to post my opinion, to shout that there is another one quite tired of this things.

Let me end by a quick paragraph from wikipedia's page about Astrology.

I promised myself after last post I'll stop arguing about the matter, it makes no difference anyway.
But just two quick things.

sp when you ask the question what is more likey.....the belief of the minority or the majority, what is the more likely belief.

This is not a valid argument.If the majority believes in some thing, it doesn't mean it is true. In medieval times, the majority thought the world was flat.

I asked in my first post what is most likely because in one way you have proofs, in one way you don't. It was a purely rhetorical question.

what about the POSSIBILITY of something that MIGHT be true though because it can't be disproven?

Exactly false. Prove that there is no invisible pink unicorn right in front of you. You can't? And that means that it might be true?

I want to say it's nothing personal. Please don't get offended by my views and my way of arguing ideas. If you would meet me you'd see I'm a nice person and this way I'm arguing is actually not so cold and stuff face-to-face.
Cheers!

oh believe me. i am not offended, i like to talk about the possibilities and debate them once in a while. :)

as far as the pink unicorn. well, i don't think i am crazy or nuts in believing this, but i do believe that there are other level and planes of existance than the one we normally see first hand in our every day lives. i also believe there are sometimes portals to these levels of existance and planes. i've known people who are not crazy and swear up and down they have seen fairies. there have been many theories on why people see things where other people dont. the possibilites to these theories hold some basis only because i am sure there are not just 3-4 dimentions. when we only use 2-10% of our brain, doesn't that say something to our own ignorance and show a little proof to the possibilities that are out there that we can't possibly comprehend right now? i use our brain as an example only because you want to use science and proof to explain your belief.

Prove that there is no invisible pink unicorn right in front of you. You can't? And that means that it might be true?

as far as the pink unicorn. well, i don't think i am crazy or nuts in believing this, but i do believe that there are other level and planes of existance than the one we normally see first hand in our every day lives. i also believe there are sometimes portals to these levels of existance and planes.

this is a very interesting topic on which we could keep on talking without drawing much of a conclusion, for the simple fact that to-date we haven't found a way to either prove or rule out any of the above possibility you mentioned... I think I'm a rather rational thinking person and I don't like to believe things without trying to understand if they could possibly be, yet I have to agree with you on the fact that there might be other "dimensions" or "levels of existence" which we cannot see nor perceive but can influence our "level" from time to time... I think it'd be irrational to blindly turn down every such claim on the basis of rationality (if this sentence even makes sense :))

having said that, I believe astrology is mostly based on traditions that date back at least to the ancient Greek civilization and therefore cannot really be labeled as science or anything close to that... yet the fact that people born in the same period of the year often show the same behavior might not be just a coincidence or maybe it's just that people usually take note of things that prove a certain thesis rather than things that don't :D

by the way, if I am not wrong here, due to equinoctial precession it happens that the zodiac signs are actually shifted by approximately one sign with respect to the (apparent) position they occupied at the time (few millennia back) they were first identified... therefore if there were any effect related to those figures, well it'd actually be due to the next/previous sign in line!

just recalled of an interesting book I haven't fully read but once quickly skimmed through it, it's "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions" by Edwin A. Abbott which imagines an hypothetical 2-D world whose inhabitants can only move on a surface and when they walk into someone else they do not have many choices to avoid crashing into each other :D well, try to imagine how they could possibly come up with the vision of a third spatial dimension...

i'm very agree that astrology is a fiction, everything is going back to the God. sometime i have a question, why people think they could make a great prediction of somebody, besides that they dont know what would happen to themselves. hahha.. when we believe in God, it's better than believe in people who think they like a "God".

Its a shame the topic is called "Astrology is fiction" it should be more of a discussion, like "is astrology real" or something simmilar. and as for astrology, in my opinion its as accurate as the weather, (not intended to be offensive). I think its just like the weather, not an exact science.

Meh. Astrology. I don't believe astrology, but everyone has their right to believe in what they want to and express their feelings about, this isn't Soviet Russia anymore :)

Back to the subject, astrology is meaningless, it's sole sense is for people to have fun reading their near 'destinies' because it's really cool to see if something really?will happen in the future.

I do read horoscope sometimes rarely, just for fun, to see 'how my planets are aligned' and to laugh in what things some people believe. We could talk and talk and it will just lead to the same thing: people want to predict the future, it puzzles them more than anything that exists on this world. They want to know what will happen with their tiny lives which by some weird coincidence are moved by how the stars are aligned (the stars which may not exist as we see them, as we see in the past as you know - our lives are controlled by dead stars?); I mean, just think about it for a second, and I'll take a wild guess by what comes into your minds, you think it's the [thing that comes out from the bottom when you have a big nature call], right? :)

Astrology is little like science fiction, very interesting for some, for some very boring and for some,?real stuff.

Astrology: it is as significant as any other scientific subject of study. This is what I think. If you try to go through the basics and advance study of astrology, which I have done, you will find that it is not something which we can regard as baseless. You heard astronomy, chemistry, physics also become somethings which can not be varified at certain level: from there we come into observation mode and have unproved theories- This does not mean that these are not real. Consider example of Micro level- we still do not know what is the structure of matter at the sub atomic level- we just have theories which even conflict themselves. At Macro level, we do not know what is beyond our solar system for sure, but we have developed some hypothesis about them and believe them in the observation mode only.So if you consider the dimension of time- and take a point of reference, think that what if this would not have been...astrology also tries to give the insights of future on may be hypothetical/theoritical level. Those who believe it rationally it is worthful for them, and those who discard it without any logic, just with their opinion means nothing for them.

pseudo scienceAstrology Is Fiction

Astrology is a pseudo science. It follows no base hypothesis or method. It has no experimentation or backup. You cant test it. All the other sciences have theses things like bio, chem and physics. Astrology is not true at all, but people can believe in it if they want to.

-reply by qwerty123

Astrology is based on psychology and the tactics it allows astrologists to convince and trick people into believing it. This effectively gives it similar qualities to being like weather forecasts, except less accurate. It isn't that there's a nugget of truth hidden with the layers of mystical jargon and vague descriptions; rather, there's simply classic psychological tricks at work that aren't too easy to observe unless one is careful enough to maintain clear objectivity and critical thinking.Basically, you got to look for the usual cases of cold fishing, confirmation bias, etc.. and understand how those things are meant to undermine your judgment and soften your view of things to convince you that there's something in astrology for you to accept.I wouldn't worry about it too much, though. Unlike other forms of mysticism, astrology is pretty much harmless fun except in those rare cases that someone becomes addicted to it. Basically, if you give up your judgment concerning reality in some way, those who claim mastery over it with astrology (much like those who claim mastery with various religions) will then have mastery over you. Gotta maintain self-ownership.

Edited by kagerioshu (see edit history)

Everyone knows that sun, moon, stars and objects in the universe will have effect on earth and to a certain extend, human beings. Since astrology evolves around the studying of sun, moon, stars and signs, why is it that people keep saying it is fictional?

Everyone knows that sun, moon, stars and objects in the universe will have effect on earth and to a certain extend, human beings. Since astrology evolves around the studying of sun, moon, stars and signs, why is it that people keep saying it is fictional?

you are thinking of astronomy. Astrology is the belief that what time during the year you were born will influence you throughout your life.

you are thinking of astronomy. Astrology is the belief that what time during the year you were born will influence you throughout your life.

Oops, my mistake. Thanks for the clarification. To add my part on astrology proper, time of year that one is born in, it does have some impact. Ever heard of someone telling you, ahh...... typical of an aries, or aquarius etc etc? Seem like people is belong under a certain period/signs, they will have somewhat similar traits. And this traits, will have an impact on their life. Of course, this is not a cover all include all syndrome.